Author Topic: Newbie here with Civil 3D issues...  (Read 5648 times)

couleeman

Newbie here with Civil 3D issues...
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:23:25 PM »
Hey guys, Newbie here getting frustrated with Civil 3D.

Here is the scoop. I have a complete surface created. I need to know the volume of that service at certian elevations. If it where one or two, I would either use a bonded volume or create another surface at the desired elevation. I need it at 80 different elevations on two different surfaces (160 total for now). Is there a simple way to get the volume at 0.1m increments??? I really don't want to spend the next 2 days creating surfaces and/or bonded areas....

Any help would be great, thanks...

coulee....:bc:

Oh yea, I am running Windows XP and the Civil 3d is 2008 with Autocadd (don't know if Civil can be used with microstation or not)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Newbie here with Civil 3D issues...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:31:54 PM »
If the task is understood that you have a surface.
And now you want to get a volume of strata, using only 80 points  in the same location with multiple elevations on them?

Your use of elevations, without reference to Station or positional coordinates (A Point) has me a little confused.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

couleeman

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
Sorry about that, I will try to verify.

I have a proposed Finished pond surface created now that is the finished grade of a pond.  What I need to figure out is the storage volume at increments as the pond fills.  Therefore the pond bottom elevation in the surface is at 852.0, and the top elevation is 860.0.  I need to know the volume at 0.1 increments so at 852.1,852.2,852.3, etc...all the way up to 860.0.

Now I can figure it out manually by creating a surface at each one of these elevations, or by getting areas of contours and calculating average volumes, but that can be very time consuming and if there are any changes, it takes forever to recalculate everything...

Hope this helps clarify stuff..

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »
Couldn't this be done with some simple calculations? If you know the area of the bottom and top plus the slope of the sides can't you come up with an average?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

dfarris75

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:21:55 PM »
Here's a post Dana made on this a while back.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »
Sorry about that, I will try to verify.

I have a proposed Finished pond surface created now that is the finished grade of a pond.  What I need to figure out is the storage volume at increments as the pond fills.  Therefore the pond bottom elevation in the surface is at 852.0, and the top elevation is 860.0.  I need to know the volume at 0.1 increments so at 852.1,852.2,852.3, etc...all the way up to 860.0.

Now I can figure it out manually by creating a surface at each one of these elevations, or by getting areas of contours and calculating average volumes, but that can be very time consuming and if there are any changes, it takes forever to recalculate everything...

Hope this helps clarify stuff..

Yes, you will want to fire up your Hydraflow Hydrographs Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 and use the Pond tools found there to perform your Stage Storage calculations they are quite friendly.
After you create the pond grading, and surface for same, just lift the contour objects from that surface and that will get your contour areas that it needs.
The whole thing might take about 5 minutes to do.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

couleeman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:08:21 PM »

Yes, you will want to fire up your Hydraflow Hydrographs Extension for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 and use the Pond tools found there to perform your Stage Storage calculations they are quite friendly.
After you create the pond grading, and surface for same, just lift the contour objects from that surface and that will get your contour areas that it needs.
The whole thing might take about 5 minutes to do.

Ok, how do I lift the contour object from Civil 3d and drop it into the Hydraflow Extension?  From what I get I need to type in all the area's manually, or am I missing something?

couleeman

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »
Here's a post Dana made on this a while back.

I couldn't get onto that link. 

dfarris75

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
You have to register with the site. One of those funky things some people do with their web sites. :roll:

couleeman

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:51:45 PM »
You have to register with the site. One of those funky things some people do with their web sites. :roll:
I looked at it, but I unless I am reading it wrong, that will only give you the contour areas right???  You still have to plug in the areas into the Hydroflow or Excel or am I as slow as I feel right now??

couleeman

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »
Couldn't this be done with some simple calculations? If you know the area of the bottom and top plus the slope of the sides can't you come up with an average?

The pond is irregular shaped and different slopes on it. 

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »

Oh! Well that could get rather tricky then couldn't it. I won't post my quick-n-dirty lisp solution then. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

couleeman

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

Oh! Well that could get rather tricky then couldn't it. I won't post my quick-n-dirty lisp solution then. :-)

:lol:  Yea.  I know I can do it by hand quite easy.  Just a time consuming process due to the amount.  And Considering the number of potential changes I was hoping for an easy solution.  I currently have it in an excel spreadsheet.

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
Average End Method

a contour of a pond is just a x-section about the z axis

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »
OK,  use the grading tools to create a graded object for each pond.
Then create the detached surfaces for each.
Then use the Surface>>Utilities >>Extract Surface Objects, The pond surface style MUST have the contours sub component display turned on.
Then you can list their areas, or perform a MAP query against them to have MAP out put the polyline areas to a comma delimited file for each.
Then you plug those areas in to the extension.The good part about getting into Hydroflow is that you can then design the pond to retain, and or outflow to the desired Q out for the pond.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell