Author Topic: Grdraw acting funny in BricsCAD - anyone got an idea?  (Read 1141 times)

bilançikur

• Newt
Grdraw acting funny in BricsCAD - anyone got an idea?
« on: May 16, 2023, 02:15:28 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am using ZWCAD since several years and there is this lisp routine I have that does a perfect job in ZWCAD.
Collegues of me have asked me to do some research about upgrading to the latest ZWCAD or BricsCAD (v23) so I am doing some testing with our routines.

In this case the same routine is used in both programs but they do work out very differently: ZWCAD as supposed but in BricsCAD somewhat funny, see the attached files.

Before diving into the code, does anybody know what these strange "blips" are in BricsCAD?
Also during grdraw the snappoints stay active whilst this is not the case in ZWCAD.
Last question: the aperture stays as if nothing is selected, why wouldn't it be turned off during grdraw?

Thanks for the help and if you may know of more restriction in BricsCAD please share it.
The end of the trial is soon to be and I hope I can decide to choose wisely.
Of course we could stay on ZWCAD but why not try other software.

Again thanks for the time.

danAllen

• Newt
Re: Grdraw acting funny in BricsCAD - anyone got an idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 06:26:00 PM »
Without seeing the lisp it is hard to say. First thought is to see how the lisp handles APBOX to turn off display of aperture box, and BLIPMODE for the blips. I have a few routines that use grdraw and haven't found it to act differently than autocad.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 06:58:54 PM »
Is this V23-2? I had file a SR regarding wonky artifacts with Tables

Try turning off all the gadgets you don’t need, polar, snaps etc

bilançikur

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 06:24:25 AM »
Thank you both danAllen and Beavis!

@Beavis: I checked the settings and your suggestion lead me to the ESNAP wich was on.
During the command I used F3 to toggle it off/on and noticed no difference.
From your advice I simply turned it off before the command starts and there it is...
Is appears that during grdraw the F3 function key does not turn the ESNAP on or off.
I will code the ESNAP being turned off before going into the grdraw function, thanks again!

@danAllen: blipmode is set to off, so why these blips would show even then is strange.
Maybe I should code the blipmode to off as well before going into the grdraw funtion.

For the aperturesize... I think I need to look ad the pickboxsize...

danAllen

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 11:35:56 AM »
Perhaps the blips are an autosnap marker.

bilançikur

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 01:56:34 PM »
A small update, and it gets a kind of comparisation of ZWCAD2023 vs. BricsCADV23 but since this involves the usage lisp code (grdraw) I share my experiences.
Should I post it elswhere, I am sorry for the inconvenience, please move my post.

I did some more grdraw testing and I must say ZWCAD is the winner, see below.
The object and cursor do move fluent across the screen and also the is no flickering.
The inserted block stays visible.

BricsCAD on the other hand, first of all the ESNAP/STRACK/POLAR needs to be set to "off" befor running the command.
Next, it is flickering, depending on the mousemovement the block disappears ...

Whatever the choice will be, I am really glad to be able to use both programs in trial mode.
My testing is not about telling what is better software, just sharing my experience on this part.

btw: it would be nice to know of "incapabilities" in ZWCAD/BricsCAD compared to AutoCAD.
For example: ObjectDBX doe not work in ZWCAD... will it in BricsCAD?
Anyone know a place where this info might be available?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:05:04 PM by bilançikur »

danAllen

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 02:44:24 PM »
I'm on Bricscad v15, I rarely use lisps with grdraw so I can't add much. I use a couple routines with objectdbx and it is usually ok. Example LeeMac's steal, and a version of this routine to delete xrefs from files: https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/topic/66789-lisp-to-attach-xref-to-multiple-drawings/?do=findComment&comment=601184

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 07:03:45 PM »
Bricsys has a really good support system, you can always file a request and ask if they have plans to improve GrDraw, it’s always been a bit clunky
IMHO, if you’re using ObjectDBX heavily, it might be time to move to another API such as .NET.
Instead of using GrDraw, you would use a draw jig, with much smoother operations.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 07:46:27 PM »
There are a couple of commands that work differently say compared to Autocad I found polygon to be one so just do a simple check look at version if it has "Bricscad" then do in a slightly different way, I have V20 so no "Reverse" command but (command "Pedit" ent "R") works in both.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

bilançikur

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 03:22:51 AM »
Bricsys has a really good support system, you can always file a request and ask if they have plans to improve GrDraw, it’s always been a bit clunky
IMHO, if you’re using ObjectDBX heavily, it might be time to move to another API such as .NET.
Instead of using GrDraw, you would use a draw jig, with much smoother operations.

No I am not using the ObjectDBX that much, back in the day (those AutoCAD days when it had lifetime licensing) I hade some routines  using it and they stopped working after moving from AutoCAD to ZWCAD. At this point I have no use for ObjectDBX so I guess I'll leave that as is. And in case needed, maybe there is another way to get data out of a drawing without actually opening it.

You mention grdraw has always been a bit clunky, so maybe this is a part for me to just accept it or not. I mean, it does work, just not that smooth... Moving to another API is a no go for me, I feel that is too complicated for me.

"Bricsys has a really good support system" what do you mean by that? After testing I will for sure want to buy a lifetime licence, does Bricsys offer any support after purchase? I mean most of the time support is only 'given' through annual subscriptions?

There are a couple of commands that work differently say compared to Autocad I found polygon to be one so just do a simple check look at version if it has "Bricscad" then do in a slightly different way, I have V20 so no "Reverse" command but (command "Pedit" ent "R") works in both.

True: in both ZWCAD as in BricsCAD the reverse command is not available as it is in AutoCAD. But this is to be solved with a minor routine. The Polyline Edit (PE) function however is present in all three softwares.

I have added a screenshot of the programs ribbons stacked on top of each other, there is so much similarity. If you would have to choose only on that part, either choice would be good. I feel AutoCAD still has the most intuitive ribbon, BricsCAD the least. But there is so much more that is important, the looks are not that important. Main reason for not using AutoCAD is the price per year through annual subscription. If it were not for the price we would 100% stick to that. ZWCAD does come as a lifetime licence and therefore it is the cheapest of them 3. Compared to BricsCAD it feels more fluent, the screens are more bright, the ribbon is mor intuitive and it comes closest to AutoCAD in most cases e.g. the options dialog. Then why choosing BricsCAD? Because in the Netherlands there is no professional reseller of ZWCAD. Their sites are not up to date and the seem very unprofessional. And also, no offense meant to anyone, Bricsys does have it headquarters in Belgium an not in China. Last but not least: compared to AutoCAD there is so limited information availible about ZWCAD, if feel I might be better of with BricsCAD when it comes to support/help/forum.

Maybe this topic should be closed as the discussion is not specifically about lisp anymore. in that case I want to thank you all for joining in this topic.