Author Topic: Software - Site Planners  (Read 3639 times)

DanB

• Bull Frog
Software - Site Planners
« on: October 26, 2020, 03:00:06 PM »
Does anyone know what software can generate this type of work/appearance? See attached.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Software - Site Planners
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »
I'm guessing that there's more than one program that has been put to use for that and some manual artistic adjusting along the way, too. Possibly with the use of another program.
CAD Tech

wizman

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
Site plan rendering has been mostly done by urban / master planners thru their digitized works using scans or tablets plus photoshop.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:13:20 AM »
Autodesk used to have a program set up for that, using a DWG as the start point, and updating the resulting render when the DWG updated, but it was discontinued.  Offhand I can't recall the name -- it was interesting.

M-Color is still available, and works fr a lot of land planners and LAs
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I really thought there was a go to software for land planners/landscape arch. similar to AutoCAD for drafting. The M-Color software looks interesting. Time-permitting I may try to test the trial version. Really looking for something more in line with the original picture and style. We'll keep looking.

In regards to photoshop in the other comment. I have no idea what efforts are involved with taking a CAD file and/or scan and processing in Photoshop to achieve those results. I have some basic experience with GIMP image editor but not sure if it holds similar capabilities.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
You can use the SKETCHY visual style...? You don't get the total "hand-drawn" effect but it can look nice.

TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »
Autodesk used to have a program set up for that, using a DWG as the start point, and updating the resulting render when the DWG updated, but it was discontinued.  Offhand I can't recall the name -- it was interesting.

That was called Autodesk Impression, which was free for subscription licenses. It was never updated and somewhere in 2010 it became unavailable. It was really great software! I still miss it. Before that or after, Autodesk had shortly another solution that created drafts as a Layout, but I think they made an app of it for tablets.

A few 'Impressions' (haha):

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1GCEU_nlNL839NL839&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=autodesk+impression&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwitp_mNxNfsAhXBzaQKHemhDT4QjJkEegQIFxAB&biw=1920&bih=1057

About PhotoShop, I don't think that is used for such drawings but Adobe has other like Illustrator. In combination with a tablet or digitizer you can create beautiful drawings in several styles. You can also use free software like Inkscape which has capabilities of handdrawings:

https://www.google.com/search?q=inkscape+hand+drawn+effect&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1GCEU_nlNL839NL839&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXh_W3xdfsAhVOC-wKHU2gAk4Q_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1920&bih=1057

Also what John mentions, the Sketchy Visual Style in AutoCAD will do too.

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »
Autodesk has an app for it as wel:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbook

It is called Sketchbook
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 03:27:50 PM »
Some good ideas here, thank you.

Marco Jacinto

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »

Autodesk Impression, was marvelous, wish to know why Autodesk decided to take it off.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »

Autodesk Impression, was marvelous, wish to know why Autodesk decided to take it off.

Probably because it was free.

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 05:23:24 AM »
Most planners I’ve dealt with use Adobe products. The creative suite. Illustrator imports cad files then they pull into indesign...since the layering system is cad-ish it’s pretty easy to get used to.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »
Probably because it was free.

IIRC it was 'free' to subscription owners, not the general public.  Same for Atrix. which was a great diagramming tool.  So I paid for access to it.  multiple thousands of dollars US to autodesk over the years is neither free nor libre.

I really think that what happens at Adesk is the corporate 'champion' of a product or some other initiative, get's sidetracked, demoted, moves-on or leaves, and the thing they were moving forward just withers on the vine, either getting minimal upgrading to work with new versions, or is abandonware until it dies when OS or other prerequisite software is unavailable.

Hence Vlide, Design Review, Markup Manager, Sheetset Manager, DWF, iDrop etc. stagnating or vanishing.  Even going back to R-13 and MLine command.  my 0.01 euros
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 05:51:30 AM »
What I wouldn't give for curves or a PEDIT equivalent for mlines  :uglystupid2: :smitten:

dJE
===
dJE