Author Topic: Infraworks 360 with Civil3D  (Read 25774 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Infraworks 360 with Civil3D
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:15:34 AM »
Just wanted to get some input on this. What is the advantage of using Infraworks with Civil3D? Is this more of a tool that is made for "Business Developments"? ie. A user has this on a pad / tablet and goes and meets a client and starts sketching out ideas (Basic shapes with textured objects)?

I know I bring up SiteOps quite often, but to me. (I see it being more helpful more helpful that Infraworks)?

Just trying to get a better understanding of it and how to utilitizes a workflow for it with our Civil Department.
Civil3D 2020

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
Re: Infraworks 360 with Civil3D
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »
I was wondering about the same question, from a civil structure point of view. You can bring in FBX files into IW. It seems like a good tool to gather around with stakeholders. No clue yet what I brings about the advantages for designing in AutoCAD CIvil3D Revit. Apart for preliminary road design I get the more idea that it is like Navisworks. This is some explanation I got by email today

"
At high level, you can host both Civil 3D DWG, AutoCAD DWG, Bentley DGN and Revit RVT in the single InfraWorks 360 model – with all elements being converted into the same SQLite database and metadata being handled (all dependant on the original data of course).

As for the relationship with Navisworks, here’s a brief explanation of where they all fit:

1.      InfraWorks 360 offers coordination for design from the very start of the project
2.      Navisworks comes in later to help coordinate construction planning
3.      BIM 360 helps after this for the actual construction of the project on site

"

Hopes that the gives some insights'
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:33:11 AM by lamarn »
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »
In theory....

Infraworks is a scenario/planning and presentation tool.

It can help you make some pre design decisions and some renderings for same.

Much of what one sketches can transmit to intelligent objects back inside civil 3d.

However, that geometry will still require some adjustment, as there are not any real 'cad' tools in there to ensure that it is geometrically correct.

With  that in mind one could adopt a preliminary design (Civil 3d)
Into Infraworrks - modeling/presentation - any tweeks that come from the stakeholder meetings
then get exported back into C3D for final engineering and plans development.

Another GREAT use for it - KIDS - they love infraworks...lots of building no constraints - sort of a free form SIM CITY!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
A bit of  toy :) expensive too.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
Some guys here are thinking that this can REPLACE SiteOps. Whats your thoughts on that? Also, is there performance woes on this? I have seen it crash a lot and take awhile to load up.

As I was thinking about this; I am really looking for a CONNECTOR that I can Bring REVIT 3D Drawings into CIVIL 3D, so as the designer grades or what ever they have a better idea of what they are doing. Sometimes, an outline can only do so much. I did not know if the Grading Stuff we do in CIVIL can be linked back to infraworks with the Revit model to give whomever a better understanding of whats going on.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Some guys here are thinking that this can REPLACE SiteOps. Whats your thoughts on that? Also, is there performance woes on this? I have seen it crash a lot and take awhile to load up.

As I was thinking about this; I am really looking for a CONNECTOR that I can Bring REVIT 3D Drawings into CIVIL 3D, so as the designer grades or what ever they have a better idea of what they are doing. Sometimes, an outline can only do so much. I did not know if the Grading Stuff we do in CIVIL can be linked back to infraworks with the Revit model to give whomever a better understanding of whats going on.
that might be best done in Navisworks....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »
..looking  for a CONNECTOR that I can Bring REVIT 3D Drawings into CIVIL 3D, so as the designer grades or what ever they have a better idea of what they are doing.

'3D drawings' Do you mean drawings of 3D models?
Better forget drawings (sheets)coming from Revit in DWG form because they are pretty bad data. You can use 'revit models' in various 3d shape however.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
We have Data References that is our 3D Models. But we data shortcut that to our 2D Sheet files then label them up.
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »
Infraworks 360 is a great tool for preliminary design in the context of the existing site. It should NOT be used for a "final" design because the terrain that it imports is based on USGS/SRTM data and is not 100% accurate - I.E. the terrain won't show vertical changes in elevation due to retaining walls. The terrain is more rolling and averaged. The imagery is based on BING maps and the roads, buildings, etc that it can find is based on OpenStreetMaps data.

You can sketch in roads using design speeds and it will set the curve automatically based on that speed. You can also modify the vertical PIs in a profile editor (based on the USGS terrain). Infraworks 360 will also allow you to do some schematic grading based on slope, distance, etc. and do a rough cut/fill analysis. Once you get an accurate field survey file, you can continue to work on your design with alignments, polylines or lines and then export them to LandXML or SHP files and import them into Infraworks 360 for presentation purposes.

You can import ESRI SHP data for preliminary planning purposes prior to getting an actual field survey which is readily available online.

You can also import Revit and Civil 3D models.

Infraworks 360 wouldn't be used for clash detection like Navisworks. With Navisworks you would import your final Civil 3D model, Revit models, etc. and THEN check for clashes.

The bottom line is this... Infraworks 360 is not intended to used to generate a finished design or construction drawings.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »
Thank you for the "Why to" on this. So in a "normal" workflow. Using some of the products I just mentioned, would this be somewhat correct?

-Infraworks 360, (For "Conceptual" master planning large sites (To visually see if its doable)?
-SiteOps, (For "Schmatic Design" a site with workable numbers)?
-Civil3D, (For "Design Development" CD's True Design)?
-Civil3D, (For "AS-builts")?

*Navisworks (For Final Civil3D Modeling and Final Revit Modeling?)

I am just trying to get a good idea how to implament this, (When to use and when not to).

A lot of people are pumped about this product here at my office. Is this something you would recommend any user to use? (Project Manger) or more for (CAD Users)?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:38:03 AM »
One doesn't have to use USGS or BING maps...although the number and type of files one can import is a bit of an alphabet soup
it still has holes in what it will import successfully.

And for sure NOT a final design tool, preliminary design and scenario planning.
More or less a fancy sketch and rendering tool with some portability of the data it creates.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 08:40:48 AM »
Thank you for the "Why to" on this. So in a "normal" workflow. Using some of the products I just mentioned, would this be somewhat correct?

-Infraworks 360, (For "Conceptual" master planning large sites (To visually see if its doable)?
-SiteOps, (For "Schmatic Design" a site with workable numbers)?
-Civil3D, (For "Design Development" CD's True Design)?
-Civil3D, (For "AS-builts")?

*Navisworks (For Final Civil3D Modeling and Final Revit Modeling?)

I am just trying to get a good idea how to implament this, (When to use and when not to).

A lot of people are pumped about this product here at my office. Is this something you would recommend any user to use? (Project Manger) or more for (CAD Users)?
Navis is more for coordination/clash detection NOT modeling.
I think the target audience is site planners, project managers, or those guys that put together project presentations for review boards.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
This might be a stretch but hey, it doesn't hurt to take a look at this...
-PM puts together a proposal. He needs some rough ideas to give to the client. So you could use Infraworks 360 to import all this data. Sketch an idea out then create some rough renderings for the client to look at?
-Client grants PM job, and then the next step would be Civil3D for Creating Construction Documents. However, the review agency wants to see a rendering of the site with the building elevations. (Would Navisworks, be a good candidate for this?)
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »
-PM puts together a proposal. He needs some rough ideas to give to the client. So you could use Infraworks 360 to import all this data. Sketch an idea out then create some rough renderings for the client to look at?
-Client grants PM job, and then the next step would be Civil3D for Creating Construction Documents. However, the review agency wants to see a rendering of the site with the building elevations. (Would Navisworks, be a good candidate for this?)
the renderings could be done in either...so why not just leave it in Infraworks?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
The Infraworks design model could be used to sketch in roads, grading, etc. and then exported to IMX format and then imported into Civil 3D as alingments, surfaces, etc. for tweaking/final design. The data can then be brought back into Infraworks for presentation purposes.

Infraworks doesn't create renderings like other programs. It creates "snapshots" which is essentially a screen shot of the application window (see attached image).
Autodesk Expert Elite

TREVN

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
Infraworks 360 is incredibly good at producing multiple preliminary layouts and modifying them very quickly to the required road and highway standards.

We have recently used it in anger for the first time and produced over 30 proposals with in a couple of weeks, compared to 5 proposals created in 2D by another office that took them 8 weeks! This was for a £100m project .

You can then very easily export into C3D and do your detailed design, (and re-import into IW360 if you want). You can also work backwards and forwards with 3DS Max & Revit to improve the visual look of IW360 models.

While it doesn't give visuals to the standard of 3DS Max, the videos etc that you can produce are still very good and in time these will improve. We have already had very good feedback over a couple of videos we have produced. They also have the benefit of being created in a fraction of the time it takes in 3DS Max, and as you modify the IW360 model, the video automatically updates.

Sharing your models with others to keep them updated is also very quick and easy, and if they are running the free version it's almost instant.

Management love it, as they can see options created very quickly and modified very quickly. The savings this will make has huge potential!

I think if you dismiss IW360 you will be missing the boat. It looks like in the next few years IW360 will be increasingly linked with/into C3D, and at some point they will become one product.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 07:05:07 AM »
Just curious here, but what is the delivery difference between the 2D and IW360 that you would put in your proposals? I am still trying to grasp my head around this, specially with Parking Lots and Setback Lines. I guess all the stuff you would typically show on your 2D Proposal.
Civil3D 2020

TREVN

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »
I am unfamiliar with your terms Parking Lots and Setback Lines. I'm guessing Parking Lots are Car Parks, but Setback Lines?

Currently you can show some white Lining within IW360, there are a few tricks to get parking bays that would give an indication, but currently they are not that great.

As to what to show in the proposal, you've drawn it in 3D, why aren't you showing it in 3D?!!

If you want it in 2D, it's just a case of exporting it and making and tweaks there.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »
Gotcha, So this is more for rough rough layout on the site. Setback Lines are buffer lines, where we can not get near our property lines. Thanks for the info! Always like seeing how people use this.
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
Infraworks 360 is incredibly good at producing multiple preliminary layouts and modifying them very quickly to the required road and highway standards.

We have recently used it in anger for the first time and produced over 30 proposals with in a couple of weeks, compared to 5 proposals created in 2D by another office that took them 8 weeks! This was for a £100m project .

You can then very easily export into C3D and do your detailed design, (and re-import into IW360 if you want). You can also work backwards and forwards with 3DS Max & Revit to improve the visual look of IW360 models.

While it doesn't give visuals to the standard of 3DS Max, the videos etc that you can produce are still very good and in time these will improve. We have already had very good feedback over a couple of videos we have produced. They also have the benefit of being created in a fraction of the time it takes in 3DS Max, and as you modify the IW360 model, the video automatically updates.

Sharing your models with others to keep them updated is also very quick and easy, and if they are running the free version it's almost instant.

Management love it, as they can see options created very quickly and modified very quickly. The savings this will make has huge potential!

I think if you dismiss IW360 you will be missing the boat. It looks like in the next few years IW360 will be increasingly linked with/into C3D, and at some point they will become one product.
And if you want to have some real fun with the Infraworks model, you can import the IW model into Stingray and create a game!! :)

Skip ahead to about the 14:30 mark.
Autodesk Expert Elite

TREVN

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
It's only as rough as you make it, it's the old adage, "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

We used a pretty good Lidar survey, imported into IW360 and so we had good surface levels. There's nothing stopping you using any accurate survey data at all.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
Dude... That was SWEET!
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »
Gotcha, So this is more for rough rough layout on the site. Setback Lines are buffer lines, where we can not get near our property lines. Thanks for the info! Always like seeing how people use this.
You can create a closed polygon of the setback lines and an area out to the extents of your model, import that into IW and define it as a coverage area. You could then create a custom coverage style that essentially dims the terrain imagery outside of your project area. Similar to what I've done in the image below.
Autodesk Expert Elite

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
Now that makes some sense. So could I possibly grab GIS Parcels and then use that to highlight my site like you have shown, then draw a rough building footprint and then an outline of parking and water detention, and be done? I know it sounds so easy.
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
Now that makes some sense. So could I possibly grab GIS Parcels and then use that to highlight my site like you have shown, then draw a rough building footprint and then an outline of parking and water detention, and be done? I know it sounds so easy.
It is!!  :)

Here's a quick Screencast I just did to show you how you can create a simple detention basin. It's exaggerated for a more obvious display of how the terrain changes with the design.
http://autode.sk/1IQzIKh
Autodesk Expert Elite

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »
I don't use infraworks for presentation...with a few more hours 3ds Max produces an incredibly higher quality output. 

That said...this is where I see the power of infraworks:

http://www.autodesk.com/community/infraworks-360/recordedwebcasts

TREVN

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 03:25:59 AM »
All well and good if you're a 3ds user, but for prelim work you're not gonna beat IW360!

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »
All well and good if you're a 3ds user, but for prelim work you're not gonna beat IW360!

The thing managers and clients forget when they see the quick results from IW, is  that garbage in, garbage out still applies. 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 07:40:44 AM »
This brings up a good question then, What do you guys usually do for presentation work?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
Sounds like you work for autodesk or a reseller....tell us who you are TREVN, if you can.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 01:14:36 AM »
This brings up a good question then, What do you guys usually do for presentation work?

I switch between it, 3ds Max using this addon http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=2979.    Sometimes my presentations are completed entirely in civil 3d.  The surfaces created, images draped, and render made.  It's as high-def as the aerial available and usually more than enough required for discussion. 

The key strength of infraworks is it's ability to import aerials / surfaces and and draw conceptually though. It lacks enormously on custom modeling (buildings, signs, unique roadways, etc).  Users still have to really on a separate application (most often 3ds Max or Autocad itself).  For us civil engineer nerds at a local scale that doesn't matter much. Still it was a long time coming, but I'd say compared to the products that been produced concerning visualization Autodesk should continue to be criticized until we have a visual application worthy of today's automation and presentation standards, and the thousands upon thousands of dollars they charge for it lol every year now.

I see the struggle coming where companies will shove 360 down clients throats and it will be the new norm though.  To me, this means that more accurate, higher resolution, more realistic and unique content will be "better" and more likely to award a project. This includes the ability to map and model 3d objects unique to a project.  There will be an impossibility for smaller firms to compete against larger firms who have architect and structural engineers on board to get larger projects because of this. They will utilize Civil 3d, Revit, Navisworks, 3ds Max and Infraworks to fight for the multi-million dollar projects.

There's an entirely different level of presentation that people tend to ignore because they are used to the same old way of getting, and trying to get contracts. The ability to export sites so clients can walk around them themselves simply like a game. Infraworks has yet to provide a solution for that. To do that currently, I export my site from infraworks into 3ds Max, make some adjustments, then push it to Stingray.  I've only done this once, but it resulted in a very good contract.  If agencies / clients smartin up, I believe this will become the standard of the future.

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 04:35:22 AM »
Infraworks has yet to provide a solution for that. To do that currently, I export my site from infraworks into 3ds Max, make some adjustments, then push it to Stingray.

interesting..
How does the new "LIVE" fit in do you think?
I am getting pretty lost in all the possibilities of the total portfolio.
Live is Revit-only?, Roads & railways to Stingray or Infraworks? What tool would be preferable for bridge or tunnel in actual Building phase?

I'm just using 'snapshot 2 email' and a occasional video screencapture but it will eventually evolve ..

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
For a bidding process I could see infraworks used initially within design teams. That would be pushed to 3ds Max.  Revit models would also be pushed to 3ds Max. Once complete, that would be exported to stingray, where it would finally be published for online.  Right now this can be accomplished in about an hour if there are no customization or changes. 

The live project I did I simply provided a link to an online file.  When our client clicked the link they were able to walk around their site, compare views from different locations, etc. It was a 500-acre project. Millions of polygons and handled as well as any video game a person might play. If / when agencies get with the times, they could exclude the initial interview processes and ask for proposal options in this form.  Private developers eat it up, but hard to make them volunteer to pay for it.  Of course this negates the importance of the "relationship" between an engineer and his / her client at the start of the project.  The preferred approach is still a handshake, but I see engineering in two different forms...a local, then global scale. Local scale probably not an issue, but if companies want to compete on a global scale presenting an option to simply click on a link and walk around and review a proposed design, well, hard to argue that doesn't save everyone's time...the client may simply come to them for that handshake, rather than the other way around.  In fact, some clients I've seen this is exactly how they choose their architect (initially based on their online presentation).  I can see this being pushed to the civil side.

Infraworks has yet to provide a solution for that. To do that currently, I export my site from infraworks into 3ds Max, make some adjustments, then push it to Stingray.

interesting..
How does the new "LIVE" fit in do you think?
I am getting pretty lost in all the possibilities of the total portfolio.
Live is Revit-only?, Roads & railways to Stingray or Infraworks? What tool would be preferable for bridge or tunnel in actual Building phase?

I'm just using 'snapshot 2 email' and a occasional video screencapture but it will eventually evolve ..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:51:01 AM by Area51Visitor »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
Given that much of what engineers do is not readily visible and or glamourous, visualization tools are not what they need more of.

"Hey look this street slopes less than 2%"....yeah that's a blockbuster presentation right there.

"And did we mention the HDPE Storm and separate sanitary sewer pipes running under it?"   -  edge of your seat stuff right there

Now for planners, and developers; yes a visual more readily tells(sells)  their story to the prospective stake holders.

Same for tunnels, and bridges, however often the design concept (sketch) is just the picture, and the real engineering solutions, and
challenges are not apparent until after the award of the contract.

What the civil  world needs is actual pressure network and gravity networks that work, AND have built in linked, dynamic modeling capabilities.
Put those inside Civil 3D, and or Infraworks, so that we can get more of that un-sexy stuff done, faster and more intelligently and we'll be happy.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »
I agree with that statement... True here....
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
...and we'll be happy.
Pffftt.... who are you kidding? You'll never be happy.   :wink:
Autodesk Expert Elite

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »
Now for planners, and developers; yes a visual more readily tells(sells)  their story to the prospective stake holders.
Same for tunnels, and bridges, however often the design concept (sketch) is just the picture, and the real engineering solutions, and

I do not know how this works in your country but in :yay!:  Holland  :yay!: hotshot architects are involved in an early stage.
No dull sketches here. They don't even begin with logic mechanics. Mostly a complex 3D shape will prefail from the architect is the beginning.
It just happened that i was just updating a slideshare of my 3D portfolio when i saw again this great presentation from Joris Smits. I works on the bridge in page 10. & 13. As a simple 3D draftsman i am very pleased that in Holland Architects take the lead and make such statements.

What Autodesk products will these guys be using in a view years? Just 3DMax?

http://www.slideshare.net/jorissmits/portfolio-joris-smits

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:21:56 PM by lamarn »

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:41 AM »
2nd that.

Given that much of what engineers do is not readily visible and or glamourous, visualization tools are not what they need more of.

"Hey look this street slopes less than 2%"....yeah that's a blockbuster presentation right there.

"And did we mention the HDPE Storm and separate sanitary sewer pipes running under it?"   -  edge of your seat stuff right there

What the civil  world needs is actual pressure network and gravity networks that work, AND have built in linked, dynamic modeling capabilities.
Put those inside Civil 3D, and or Infraworks, so that we can get more of that un-sexy stuff done, faster and more intelligently and we'll be happy.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
Just a thought here... Revit... What has caused "Revit" not to become civil? I just thought if Revit was where the next big thing is, you would think all the other main construction type apps would be integrated with. I am still wondering in the future if Infraworks will be totally incased with Civil3D CAD. (All in one app). . .
Civil3D 2020

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »
Just a thought here... Revit... What has caused "Revit" not to become civil?

Been asking that for quite some time. More questions pop up for everytime a new piece of software is added to the portfolio Revit is being 'pushed' heavily for the next thing to AutoCAD in general. However, for civil structures  in there questionable little advantage over AutoCAD. Yes, you can more easily create  3d views and sections for sure. The modeling functions have have some advantages but lack boolean operations you can do in AutoCAD. And I am amazed vertical and horizontal are not programmed more rigid in Revit. We are facing a lot of challenges trying to work together with the guys who use Civil3d for roads and GIS. Some time ago I was amazed that Autodesk last update on portfolio projects for the different products didn't include anything civil anymore (but I agree it is for buildings anyway). Just a week later i found out the reference/ portfolio idea was abandoned. To be honest I am totally lost what AutoDesk thinks about designing and detailing Rebar and steel (for civil work) there is revit with all the addons and there is AutoCAD verticals, like advance but nothing for concrete. There is infraworks with a brigding kit. So many ways and choices but they definitely have there own world.. This applies for visualisatio. Just the same.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:21:44 AM by lamarn »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
Just a thought here... Revit... What has caused "Revit" not to become civil? I just thought if Revit was where the next big thing is, you would think all the other main construction type apps would be integrated with. I am still wondering in the future if Infraworks will be totally incased with Civil3D CAD. (All in one app). . .
highly doubt it...otherwise would would miss the fun of trying to find the right import/export formats so we can use our data from one application to the next.
You know the lack of real product integration is key with all autodesk products, just barely being able to work with the data each produces.

Like WHY did they not allow direct linking of the civil model, or even support for Land XML?

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
I do agree. But with all design software aside. Who is going about this in a normal fashion? Bently, Autodesk, etc?
Civil3D 2020

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
 some have a more higher ambition to integrate it more. Before selling the next thing..