Author Topic: Infraworks 360 with Civil3D  (Read 25786 times)

TREVN

Re: Infraworks 360 with Civil3D
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
Infraworks 360 is incredibly good at producing multiple preliminary layouts and modifying them very quickly to the required road and highway standards.

We have recently used it in anger for the first time and produced over 30 proposals with in a couple of weeks, compared to 5 proposals created in 2D by another office that took them 8 weeks! This was for a £100m project .

You can then very easily export into C3D and do your detailed design, (and re-import into IW360 if you want). You can also work backwards and forwards with 3DS Max & Revit to improve the visual look of IW360 models.

While it doesn't give visuals to the standard of 3DS Max, the videos etc that you can produce are still very good and in time these will improve. We have already had very good feedback over a couple of videos we have produced. They also have the benefit of being created in a fraction of the time it takes in 3DS Max, and as you modify the IW360 model, the video automatically updates.

Sharing your models with others to keep them updated is also very quick and easy, and if they are running the free version it's almost instant.

Management love it, as they can see options created very quickly and modified very quickly. The savings this will make has huge potential!

I think if you dismiss IW360 you will be missing the boat. It looks like in the next few years IW360 will be increasingly linked with/into C3D, and at some point they will become one product.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 07:05:07 AM »
Just curious here, but what is the delivery difference between the 2D and IW360 that you would put in your proposals? I am still trying to grasp my head around this, specially with Parking Lots and Setback Lines. I guess all the stuff you would typically show on your 2D Proposal.
Civil3D 2020

TREVN

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »
I am unfamiliar with your terms Parking Lots and Setback Lines. I'm guessing Parking Lots are Car Parks, but Setback Lines?

Currently you can show some white Lining within IW360, there are a few tricks to get parking bays that would give an indication, but currently they are not that great.

As to what to show in the proposal, you've drawn it in 3D, why aren't you showing it in 3D?!!

If you want it in 2D, it's just a case of exporting it and making and tweaks there.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »
Gotcha, So this is more for rough rough layout on the site. Setback Lines are buffer lines, where we can not get near our property lines. Thanks for the info! Always like seeing how people use this.
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
Infraworks 360 is incredibly good at producing multiple preliminary layouts and modifying them very quickly to the required road and highway standards.

We have recently used it in anger for the first time and produced over 30 proposals with in a couple of weeks, compared to 5 proposals created in 2D by another office that took them 8 weeks! This was for a £100m project .

You can then very easily export into C3D and do your detailed design, (and re-import into IW360 if you want). You can also work backwards and forwards with 3DS Max & Revit to improve the visual look of IW360 models.

While it doesn't give visuals to the standard of 3DS Max, the videos etc that you can produce are still very good and in time these will improve. We have already had very good feedback over a couple of videos we have produced. They also have the benefit of being created in a fraction of the time it takes in 3DS Max, and as you modify the IW360 model, the video automatically updates.

Sharing your models with others to keep them updated is also very quick and easy, and if they are running the free version it's almost instant.

Management love it, as they can see options created very quickly and modified very quickly. The savings this will make has huge potential!

I think if you dismiss IW360 you will be missing the boat. It looks like in the next few years IW360 will be increasingly linked with/into C3D, and at some point they will become one product.
And if you want to have some real fun with the Infraworks model, you can import the IW model into Stingray and create a game!! :)

Skip ahead to about the 14:30 mark.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

TREVN

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
It's only as rough as you make it, it's the old adage, "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

We used a pretty good Lidar survey, imported into IW360 and so we had good surface levels. There's nothing stopping you using any accurate survey data at all.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
Dude... That was SWEET!
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »
Gotcha, So this is more for rough rough layout on the site. Setback Lines are buffer lines, where we can not get near our property lines. Thanks for the info! Always like seeing how people use this.
You can create a closed polygon of the setback lines and an area out to the extents of your model, import that into IW and define it as a coverage area. You could then create a custom coverage style that essentially dims the terrain imagery outside of your project area. Similar to what I've done in the image below.
Autodesk Expert Elite

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
Now that makes some sense. So could I possibly grab GIS Parcels and then use that to highlight my site like you have shown, then draw a rough building footprint and then an outline of parking and water detention, and be done? I know it sounds so easy.
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
Now that makes some sense. So could I possibly grab GIS Parcels and then use that to highlight my site like you have shown, then draw a rough building footprint and then an outline of parking and water detention, and be done? I know it sounds so easy.
It is!!  :)

Here's a quick Screencast I just did to show you how you can create a simple detention basin. It's exaggerated for a more obvious display of how the terrain changes with the design.
http://autode.sk/1IQzIKh
Autodesk Expert Elite

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »
I don't use infraworks for presentation...with a few more hours 3ds Max produces an incredibly higher quality output. 

That said...this is where I see the power of infraworks:

http://www.autodesk.com/community/infraworks-360/recordedwebcasts

TREVN

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 03:25:59 AM »
All well and good if you're a 3ds user, but for prelim work you're not gonna beat IW360!

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »
All well and good if you're a 3ds user, but for prelim work you're not gonna beat IW360!

The thing managers and clients forget when they see the quick results from IW, is  that garbage in, garbage out still applies. 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 07:40:44 AM »
This brings up a good question then, What do you guys usually do for presentation work?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
Sounds like you work for autodesk or a reseller....tell us who you are TREVN, if you can.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/