Author Topic: workflow question  (Read 3167 times)

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
workflow question
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
This is related to the topic on vanishing contours, same shop, with inexperienced interns doing stuff locally, while the heavy lifting is done in HQ.  Bearing in mind that Hq is not experienced in engineering production drawings -- most of his work is more in the cartoon arena (enviromental figures, etc) and he's neither expert in C3D, and hates 2013.  The local office here is pretty far down on his list of priorities too, from what I've seen.

Since the local intern is not supposed to be modifying the existing surface,  and the remote person is building the surface from survey, gis, whatever.  I'm wondering if this makes sense.

Remote builds the existing terrain surface, and exports to LandXML.  Then imports that XML into a blank drawing, stylizes it per company spec, and then transfers both the surface drawing built from the XML and the XML file to the remote office.  Intern then either xreferences that surface drawing into their working base drawing, or creates a new surface in the working drawing from the XML.

Problems?  issues to watch out for? 
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: workflow question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
It would be suggested there is no need to send both a drawing with the surface and the XML file.
If the user has the file with the surface in it they can export to XML if there is a need for that.

I would further suggest that the surface file might simly be used to create a data shortcut.
Then they can create the reference and stlye as desired.

Limits the possibiity of accidentaly editing the original surface.

Sounds like these people could use a good training session for Civil 3D if they are going to use it any way.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
would there be the chance of unexpected errors if the XML is not there?  IIRC I've run into that, but I don't recall the circumstances around it. 

Having a surface with no data makes me a bit nervous.... :wink:
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
The LandXML, and the resultant surface created after importing said data are separate entities, no?

Similar to importing raw ASCII, or even a legacy Land Desktop database surface... The resultant surface (or perhaps COGO points in the ASCII case), exist within that C3D drawing. Changes to the source data file are no synchronized the way a data reference can be when the referenced surface is modified in its host drawing AFAIK.

Just to throw it out there, Cadtag, feel free to contact me offline if I can be of assistance in this, or other endeavors. :kewl:
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »
Two separate entities, that have to be kept coordinated yes.  If the XML file is removed/mis-filed/lost, the surface is going to complain and shouldn't rebuild.  In this instance, that's sorta what I think I want to see.  Remember that we're talking about interns, no experience, no judgement.

Seems that it will be the simplest approach, especially since Xref ing a surface drwing seems to have fubars happening.  If the next intern is in fact capable and trained in using Dref's - different story.  but I think that unlikely....

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:04:21 PM »
once you inport that XML file, the data in now IN the drawing
there is ne worries if the original is lost, moved, folded, spindled or mutilated.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
there is ne worries if the original is lost, moved, folded, spindled or mutilated.

... Thought so... Thanks for confirming.  :mrgreen:
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:22:50 AM »

... Thought so... Thanks for confirming.  :mrgreen:
Actually part of your assumption is off...
IF
one imports a land desktop database surface >>Import Land Desktop
that surface is IN the file

IF
one creates the surface from a TIN
the TIN file is used as a database and if moved, renamed, or deleted results in a the data being lost.
similar to a broken reference (data shortcut)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:58:23 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks Michael and Renderman,

After thinking though the possibilities, I'm going with recomending having the remote office creating the surface, and exporting the XML, shipping both a styled surface drawing and the XML to the local shop.

Here's my thinking...

First off, the end user's will be engineering interns, lacking experience and judgement.  While leaving the surface drawing alone and datareferencing it into the sheets is a Good Thing (TM), teaching Drefs in 5 minutes or less is not something I can do comfortably.  Maybe if Dref's worked though Design Center style drag and drop.....

Evidently, Xrefing in the surface drawing is not trustable.  contours disappear in viewports for no explainable/correctable reason - so I'm calling that a bug in the program.  Maybe just too big an area is involved and memory leaks are causing problems, maybe corrupt viewports, maybe something else.  Point is, it's unreliable.  Plus, it can't be labeled/queried or styled since it's an Xref.

I can however, teach an intern how to insert a LandXML file and create a surface in the current drawing to label and use in a background, in 5 minutes.  And, presuming the XML file is retained, it can be rebuilt when something goes flaky.  Shouldn't need the XML in theory, but stuff happens, c3d crashes, drawings get corrupt, so keeping the XML handy, treating it as the 'master' version, gives me a feeling of security that I can recover to the 'last known good' no matter what else happens.

cheers,