Author Topic: Censoring on adndevblog  (Read 12154 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Censoring on adndevblog
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
Kean, we try to be both interesting and diverse, but most of the time we just like to stir the pot and then sit back, eat popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Perhaps you would get a better feeling for the folks here if you did hang out a bit more.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

StykFacE

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
I'm a bigtime AutoCAD power user and can push the program to certain limits, but I'm the farthest thing from a developer. That being said, going back to the original poster's 1st comment, I tend to definitely agree.... through the years it seems Autodesk just builds on top of the last file format. I made a post over at CADTutor not too long ago about AutoCAD needing to be brought into the 21st century. I wish they would simply start over with a blank template. It doesn't have to be all Inventor/Revit-like with parametric capabilities to that extent but it would be nice if it could be completely reconstructed as a platform, instead of "adding functionality with a prettier interface".

Once again my thoughts might be completely useless because I know nothing of the functionality "under the hood" of the program. And while I might add, end result is all that matters, it just seems they (Autodesk) would benefit by releasing a brand spanking new AutoCAD to the world.

Just my $0.02 is all.  :kewl:

Kean

• Newt
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »
Perhaps you would get a better feeling for the folks here if you did hang out a bit more.

I'm sure I would... I just always seems to find it difficult to make the time.

I do appreciate the odd email (a few regular Swamp contributors have been good at that, in the past), to let me know of topics I might helpfully weigh in on.

Kean

hermanm

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
I'm confident that the reason Autodesk has left AutoCAD to languish in the single-threaded, single-cpu world, is mainly because their long-term strategy is to migrate customers away from AutoCAD, to other products, and/or to the 'cloud' and more significantly, SAAS.

I agree with comments of JGGerth, PLawton and davea responding to this post:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2012/03/moving-to-the-cloud.html

@ daveea:

Yes, in the 1960's it was called "time-sharing," and was a boon, in the days of batch processing via punched cards and mag tape.

@ JGGerth:

Although my ISP is generally quite reliable, I did experience an "outage" last year which lasted the better part of a work week, and was traceable to  a problem with AT&T routers. AT&T are not my ISP, although in this case my ISP were entirely at the mercy of AT&T, and so was I.

SaS is a non-starter for me, for that reason alone.

As well, we use AutoCAD principally as a graphics platform which runs (extensive) third party ARX application(s). At the moment, I am anticipating the imminent release of an ACAD 2013 compatible release of the primary software with which I earn my living. ACAD 2013 itself, was of course released last spring.

It goes without saying that neither I nor anyone of my acquaintance can afford to shut down our businesses because Adesk chooses to "upgrade" their software (the underlying graphics platform) whilst the vendor of the discipline specific software with which we make our living has not "kept up" with the "upgrade," aka "breaking changes."

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:41:40 AM by hermanm »

TheMaster

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
Kean, we try to be both interesting and diverse, but most of the time we just like to stir the pot and then sit back, eat popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Screw the fireworks, I'm waiting for the mushroom cloud.

I haven't even started picking on the cloud biz yet, but I'll drop a hint here.

Recently I overheard an interesting conversation about cybersecurity. To sum it up. the total amount of money that Microsoft, Autodesk, Oracle, Apple, Google, and the US DOD currently spend, in aggregate, on cyber-security and securing their servers from intrusion, is but a tiny fraction of what China spends on state-sponsored cyber-activities for military and commercial espionage purposes.

Anyone that tells you their cloud hosting is secure, is blowing smoke up your ass.

fxcastil

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
..............is but a tiny fraction of what China spends on state-sponsored cyber-activities for military and commercial espionage purposes.

China is a close trading partner and one of our most trusted allies.

China would never spy, steal, copy, or bootleg any intelllectual or copyrighted information from the U.S..  :wink:

TheMaster

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »

It's more than ironic to see Kean Walmsley espousing the benefits of F# and parallel execution for developing plug-ins that leverage multiple processors, until he discovered that a major barricade to that goal was AutoCAD and its inherent lack of thread-safe code.

Well, no. I continue to espouse the benefits of F# and asynchronous programming models, I'm just a bit attention deficit. :-) I certainly didn't simply stop when I "discovered" an issue inside AutoCAD's architecture: I've spent quite some time and effort describing appropriate models for dealing with asynchronous calls in a way that works well with a single-threaded application (my favourite being to use an Erlang-inspired mailbox architecture).

Anyway - that's all I wanted to say. I would apologise for posting something off topic, but then this thread has covered so much ground I suspect it isn't needed.

Cheers,

Kean

Well, I won't deny that there can be benefits for plug-ins that use parallel execution, and I've realized some myself, but the user isn't spending nearly as much time waiting for plugins, as they are waiting for AutoCAD to do things, and that's where parallelism would make a profound difference.

That said, I also understand that it's a lofty goal that would require a massive overhaul of a huge codebase and probably introduce thousands of bugs and break customization (which seems to be happening with each release anyway). But, I think  6+ years without seeing any real progress (that doesn't mean there hasn't been any, but none that's visible - which is what customers care about) is a a long time.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:07:47 PM by TT »

TheMaster

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 04:17:56 AM »
I'm a bigtime AutoCAD power user and can push the program to certain limits, but I'm the farthest thing from a developer. That being said, going back to the original poster's 1st comment, I tend to definitely agree.... through the years it seems Autodesk just builds on top of the last file format. I made a post over at CADTutor not too long ago about AutoCAD needing to be brought into the 21st century. I wish they would simply start over with a blank template. It doesn't have to be all Inventor/Revit-like with parametric capabilities to that extent but it would be nice if it could be completely reconstructed as a platform, instead of "adding functionality with a prettier interface".

Once again my thoughts might be completely useless because I know nothing of the functionality "under the hood" of the program. And while I might add, end result is all that matters, it just seems they (Autodesk) would benefit by releasing a brand spanking new AutoCAD to the world.

Just my $0.02 is all.  :kewl:

It seems to me that the intent of the design of the last handful of major releases of AutoCAD is to act as a platform that demonstrates the functionality of other products, carefully designed in a way that doesn't make them very useful in the real world, because obviously that would defeat the purpose. I don't have an issue with that, but touting embedded demos or 'teaser' features from other products as AutoCAD features that are actually useful in the real world, when in fact, they are somewhat crippled, just doesn't sit well with me.

The completely unscriptable FLATSHOT command is one of many examples. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:49:41 PM by TT »

StykFacE

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:20 AM »
One thing I wish Autodesk would completely do away with in and re-develop in AutoCAD is Plot Styles. To me, Revit got it right on the first attempt when it comes to line weights and thicknesses. In my opinion, Plot Styles are so horrible, and due to their nature every firm or company has their "own", it creates zero standard that makes sense and I always have to try and match, or open and figure out what color is what line thickness, etc. List goes on. I almost want to back charge Autodesk every time I have to mess with them.

TheMaster

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »
One thing I wish Autodesk would completely do away with in and re-develop in AutoCAD is Plot Styles. To me, Revit got it right on the first attempt when it comes to line weights and thicknesses. In my opinion, Plot Styles are so horrible, and due to their nature every firm or company has their "own", it creates zero standard that makes sense and I always have to try and match, or open and figure out what color is what line thickness, etc. List goes on. I almost want to back charge Autodesk every time I have to mess with them.

Revit, Inventor and other products incorporate a lot of the lessons learned from AutoCAD.

Doing away with or completely revamping a feature might seem like an improvement, but the problem is that it usually breaks compatibility with older drawings, scripts, and so forth. 

StykFacE

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »
Yep, I agree. That's why I stated I "wish" because that's all it'll ever be, haha. A man can dream, right? Or just stay in Revit from now on.

:angel: