Author Topic: I Can't Find the Visual Lisp Command Reference for Map 3D 2012  (Read 3238 times)

JEDWARDL

I Can't Find the Visual Lisp Command Reference for Map 3D 2012
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
OK.  I give up.  Where did AutoDesk hide the Help files for Visual Lisp in Map 3D 2012.
When I click the HELP button in the VLISP editor I get the main help file, and I really don't like it.  They've gone to a totally web based application that I find difficult to use.  I can't find anything about developer help, visual lisp, dcl programming, etc.

Did they drop developer support since 2011?

Thanks,

J Leavitt

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: I Can't Find the Visual Lisp Command Reference for Map 3D 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
AFAIK most of the extended capabilities of verticals have not been exposed through ActiveX: so no Lisp or VBA is possible except for the standard Vanilla objects, and even there you are limited. If you cannot find an old acad_dev.chm file, then perhaps go to this: http://www.kxcad.net/autodesk/autocad/AutoCAD_ActiveX_and_VBA_Reference/index.htm

IMO ADesk has made enemies with Lisp & VBA programmers by omitting the ActiveX help. Very few people have eidetic memories, so nearly all programmers would constantly refer to the reference (especially since there's no intellisense for lisp). Face it, adesk is nothing but a fashion-junky ... newest flavour is DotNet ... which IMO is going to go the same route as ActiveX in the future (i.e. still used but not supported) - for the fact that it simply doesn't work properly as intended (i.e. it's NOT operating system / hardware indifferent).

DotNet was M$'s attempt at breaking into the Java market: i.e. write once run anywhere. And as usual to M$ that means: write several times with all kinds of checks for OS & hardware and run only on some of OUR operating systems. Some have attempted at making DotNet available to other OSs - e.g. the Coco project. But they are only partly successful, if at all.

For us mere programmers this means we need to learn a new set of libraries every few years, making the references even more important!
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »
I'm with Irne on this - okay, so don't enhance the ActiveX API, but at least make it available as a standalone download!?!

In any event, for Map (3D) coding in LISP I've been using this:

http://www.autodesk.com/prods/acadmap/acmapads.pdf

HTH
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

JEDWARDL

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
Thank you all for your help.  Some of the links refreshed my memory.  It has become apparent that Autodesk has abandoned developers in 2012, much to thier discredit.  It was the ability to program custom routines used in my discipline that first attracted me (and quite a few of my collegues) to AutoCAD over 25 years ago.

I found some HTML files in the Help folder that are not linked together by any index that I can find so that makes them almost useless right out of the box.  I'll probably need to modify one of the index files that they provided to link the orphaned HTML.

Again, Thanks.

J Leavitt

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
I didn't realize there was an easy way to incorporate other HTML files; if you'd share  any references, or procedures that would be much appreciated.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/