Author Topic: What Version Control System software do you use?  (Read 1342 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
What Version Control System software do you use?
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
Recently, I have been using Bazaar and it is very nice. I like it.

If you don't know what Version Control is; it allows you to keep track of changes to your source code file(s), it allows you to make changes to your code without worry about breaking anything (like a giant UNDO for your file(s)). And, also, all the cool kids use it.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: What Version Control System software do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »
Our corporate IT overlords have an SVN server set up for their use.  I've been bugging them to set up a repository for us, especially since there can be multiple people working on our data and code files (most of which are ASCII text, if not code).  Getting others to submit diffs rather than working directly on the file (and not telling anybody about it...) would not only improve quality but add traceability to sumbits.

And, its what I'm familiar with.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: What Version Control System software do you use?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »
Well, keep pushing (pun intended *lol*). That would be cool!

Thoughts:
SVN is nice but since I've tried Bazaar, I think I really do like the Distributed flavor better; I have the option to use either Distributed or Centralized.

I set up a project on my USB stick and "branch" the project on to my computer. I work, commit, etc. and when I need to I just "push" to the USB and everything is all good.

Have you tried any of the Distributed flavors (Mercurial, Git, Bazaar)? I know at least Mercurial and Bazaar have a "Tortoise like" version.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org