Author Topic: How do you use the 'select' command?  (Read 2755 times)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
How do you use the 'select' command?
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
This is a dead-head (lacking the ability to think) question, but how is the SELECT command used, ...  other than typing the whole word out?

Lemme 'splain,

While you are drawing away, if you type in SELECT and hit enter, it prompts you to 'select objects:'.
You hit the P key to get previous and hit enter and you have the previous selection, cool.

Now, if you type in (command "select" "P"), you get the previous selection set, but you are still in the command 'select objects: '.  So if you hit the ENTER key, it takes you back to the command prompt, and you lose your previous selection set.
A really quick way to get nowhere is to type in (command "select" "P" "").

I came across this when I was trying to simplify typing out SELECT <enter> P <enter>.

What is the simplest way of getting a previous selection set?
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

Bob Wahr

Re: How do you use the 'select' command?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
I keep the properties bar open and docked.  It has a select button at the top.  When I use it, that's how I do it.

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »
I keep the properties bar open and docked.  It has a select button at the top.  When I use it, that's how I do it.
That's interesting.  Is this the default properties toolbar?  I only have pulldown menu's on my toolbar.  On my Properties tool palette, I have three buttons, the QSelect, PSelect, and a toggle for PICKADD system variable.

At any rate, I prefer the keys, faster that way for me.  [sheepishly]Guess I should have specified that[/sheepishly]
Hangman  8)

Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

Bob Wahr

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
Guess you're right, it is pselect not select.  It's not something I use often enough to pay attention to.  In playing with it some this morning, I'm not getting any difference in result between select and pselect, and given that pselect isn't listed in help (2012), I'm not evensure what the difference is between the two.

I get the same results as you with (command "select" "p" "") it clears the selection at conclusion.  In fact, if I do (command "select" "p") and then hit enter, the selection goes away.  (command "pselect" "p" "") seems to give your desired results though.

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »
You can always use little Vanilla Lisp functions for a change...

Code: [Select]
(sssetfirst nil (ssget "P"))

M.R.
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

butzers09silverado

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
i have an alias set (se) to pselect.  I never use select, I only use pselect.  It's amazing how few people know about pselect.

pselect allows you to select previous

rhino

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
i have an alias set (se) to pselect.  I never use select, I only use pselect.  It's amazing how few people know about pselect.

oh cool - thanks  :kewl:

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »

Agreed. It has it's uses.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

MuLLeT

• Mosquito
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
Weird, PSELECT and SELECT really perform the same functions now. They make a current selection set that can be recalled with the 'Previous' option in commands that have selections. In 2012 I believe ADesk have made PSELECT redundant as they provide no help. I always thought PSELECT weird as it didn't automatically give you your previous selection, just allows you to add a selection to the  previous buffer  :|  Even I'm confused now.....   :wink:

If you aren't highly aliased SELECT is one letter less than PSELECT  :-D