Author Topic: 3D Corridor Modeling (Road Rehab)  (Read 6173 times)

wbonnet

3D Corridor Modeling (Road Rehab)
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
I am new to theswamp.org, and somewhat new to AutoCAD (roughly a year of experience).  I am building a 3D corridor of a roadway, I have drafted the alignment and profile, and am now trying to create a cross section that will respond to superelevation, as well as generate the quantities of materials needed for the project.  I really only need a very simple assembly of 2 pavement layers, gravel will be used in the fill areas under these layers.  I have daylighted a 3 to 1 slope to existing ground off of a generic pavement structure (hoping I can assign gravel as the daylight material at some point).  I have explored the overlay options somewhat, but they don't seem to be doing what I want.  Also when I try to calculate quantities using the assembly I have, I get straight goose eggs.... Help please!

Also, is there a simple subassembly for shoulders that will match lane slopes?  I have set the alignment properties to have the shoulder match lane slope, but am using the basic shoulder subassembly.  I don't need all of this extension crap, I'm sure it's used somewhere but I figure they would make these simple assemblies, well .... simpler to build in autocad.  I am extending my lanes by the shoulder width to obtain a somewhat representative cross section for now, again this won't help for quantities. 

It's a shot in the dark but if anyone has any pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I plan to use this forum quite frequently and hope to be able to post the answers to all of these great AutoCAD anomolies one day. 

Bill

Dinosaur

Re: 3D Corridor Modeling (Road Rehab)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
Welcome to TheSwamp Bill.  Could you please tell us what software you are going to use for this project - Civil 3D, Land Desktop, Carlson, something from Bentley or other 3rd party, or just vanilla AutoCAD?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
there are some 'rehab' assemblies to consider..

or one could use some of the shoulder sub assemblies.keep in mind many of the parameters can be adjusted to suit your locale.. and when setting there parameters chose the USE option and have them use the lane slope/target information

OR post a desired cross section and I'll propose a more project specific set of assemblies for you to try.

welcome to THESWAMP!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

wbonnet

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:57 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome, this forum might be the answer to my long waited prayers.  I have been working on this design for roughly a month, after 2 weeks of topo.  The pressure is on to get this design approved and out the door so the guys can start work, luckily there has been awful weather (rain and snow and a lot more rain coming).  I am currently in the middle of the review of my proposed alignment and profile.  I am to also propose cross sections but have not been able to produce the one that I need to give me material quantities.  As I said before, I am currently using a generic pavement structure extended by the width of my shoulder for now, and then using the daylight cut fills to to show the 3:1 slope. 

I'd appreciate a hand, I've put a lot of time into this...  Attached is an image of the assembly.

wbonnet

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
Oh and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009... I'll be going back out into the field and laying it out with SurvCE on an Allegro Data Collector.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
sent a suggested assembly your way...although I now see it's in the 'wrong' version...
I can talk you through it...easier by phone...send me a number.
OR try the following:

The assembly is composed of
Lane outside super, set to only give you the desired 0.4m of pavement
then I attached Lane Broke back, set to 100mm depth , -2% for .75m, then at -3:1 (all of this can super elevate) and the -3:1 portion can target a daylight line alignment/profile should that slope limit be changing.
Then from assembly baseline a Link Vertical (generic link)down the 300mm for the box depth
Then a Generic Link Slope to Surface (initially set at the -2% base course slope) with added Link and Point codes to make getting the surface volumes easier.
Then in the assembly parameters this link is set via the USE botton to get it's slope from the pavement section inserted previously.  This is done so that it follows the pavement trough the super sections as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:02:58 PM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/