Author Topic: AutoCAD Linetypes... [ Autodesk is ] Looking for your feedback  (Read 6642 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
AutoCAD Linetypes... Looking for your feedback

The AutoCAD Product Design and Usability Group is conducting research regarding use of linetypes in AutoCAD and would appreciate your response to a quick survey. This is an opportunity to provide your valuable feedback and help drive the direction of AutoCAD.

Not so quick but some are good questions except for page two.  I about hit cancel right then and there.  After completion you can email somebody with additional comments and what not.  They asked questions about having linetypes with double lines (which was recently asked here in TheSwamp) and creating an linetype editor for creating and editing linetypes. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: AutoCAD Linetypes... [ Autodesk is ] Looking for your feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
what-da?! I have a linetype editor; notepad.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
lets add some more XML waste to the bloat
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »

Or..

Let's fix the pathetically limited and underdeveloped linetype system so that the software isn't getting in the way of letting us draw how we want.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
Does anyone know why they going the XML route?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

Or..

Let's fix the pathetically limited and underdeveloped linetype system so that the software isn't getting in the way of letting us draw how we want.

I have a feeling this debate is going to run the same track that the Health Care debate is running in.  :-P :evil: :roll:

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »
<Autodesk> Hmmm, what can we break now, let's see ...</Autodesk>
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »
I don't think so  :-)  That comment is about all I care to say on the topic.  I just don't care that much about linetypes.  I think the system sucks but I've been "dealing with it" for long enough that I'm normalized to it.  Every now and then we -really- wish would could... like... maybe have parallel lines... but hey, I guess that's too wild and crazy of an idea.  I'm sure no one in history has ever used a double line :P  I guess Autodesk has always thought railroad tracks really have only one rail ;)  MONORAIL, MONORAIL, MONORAIL!  Then there's the idea of using a linetype I've seen on some prints, that's drawn with long skinny rectangles.  Sort of like having long thick lines, but hollow.  Can't do that under normal circumstances.  The only way to replicate that is with a polyline with a global width > zero, and setting a VISUAL STYLE to something other than 2d, iirc, or changing FILLMODE, or whatever the sysvar is... but of course that has ramifications elsewhere that may be undesirable.

Just not a fully developed system, imo.  I could def. do without a fancier editor... I'm fine with notepad.  However, it'd be nice to have some more options...

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
My Biggest number one complaint with line types, has nothing to do with creating or editing is, it is managing them.

For example:
I want the linetype manager to read ALL linetype files at once.
I want a greater control over how lines scale meaning I want to control each linetype separately by drawing file.
and the biggest want is visretain varibale had to be brought of the 1960's.   :realmad:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:21:01 AM »
Linetypes are the least of my desired 'improvements'.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
Linetypes are the least of my desired 'improvements'.

Yea, but not everyone can work on one project.  Gotta keep all the people busy :P 

pkohut

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
I think the system sucks but I've been "dealing with it" for long enough that I'm normalized to it.  Every now and then we -really- wish would could... like... maybe have parallel lines... but hey, I guess that's too wild and crazy of an idea.  I'm sure no one in history has ever used a double line :P

Back in the late '80's early '90's the place I worked used Autocad and TerraModel.  TerraModel ran circles around Autocad/DCA,EaglePoint, and multiline linetypes with symbols/text just worked great.  I think we used an add on called Autoline to mimic what TM did on it's own.  I always thought Autodesk would fix that short coming.

JCTER

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been touched in so long, as well.  Hopefully this is a sign of rectifying it :)  At least, if my opinion is not -terribly- much in the minority.

I'm kind of leery of how it will evolve though :\  I'm not terribly keen on the style and user interface trends in current popular software development that they draw from.  Just not the style I'm used to.  /shrug

Hopefully it will still be something easy and not machine bogging, though.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
...I think we used an add on called Autoline to mimic what TM did on it's own.  I always thought Autodesk would fix that short coming.

Autoline is now being developed by Autodsys and is available for AutoCAD at the following link

Code: [Select]
http://www.autodsys.com/indexh.html
Its too bad AutoDESK hasn't though about improving how line types are made and managed till now?
I guess they need a project for Autocad 2012 and I can think of other areas they need to improve upon first.

AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
maybe they should focus on those nebulous and undocumented 'problems' using sheet set manager, and page set up overrides before tackling this near vestigial portion of the application?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/