Author Topic: How do you like your Autodesk vertical  (Read 4372 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
How do you like your Autodesk vertical
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »
?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: How do you like your Autodesk vertical
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »
Civil3D is a work in progress. Compared to what I saw of it in the 2006 version, the latest version is great. However, it still has many bugs, many more features that don't work quite right (or as I would expect them to anyway), and then there are those features that are just plain missing. Yet I still prefer to use it over any other offering out there that I've seen.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
Honestly, I can't tell yet.  The 3D piping product is still in beta as far as I know.  Unfortuneately it looks like everything will be implemented with custom objects, which will make compatibility (almost typed "combatibility" - telling, isn't it...) difficult between other companies/programs and probably new versions as they are released.  It also complicates customization to handle different client requirements.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
Honestly, I can't tell yet.  The 3D piping product is still in beta as far as I know.  Unfortuneately it looks like everything will be implemented with custom objects, which will make compatibility (almost typed "combatibility" - telling, isn't it...) difficult between other companies/programs and probably new versions as they are released.  It also complicates customization to handle different client requirements.
Yes, looking at it and trying to use it one would likely think that the piping is still in beta . . . unfortunately the piping functions have remained in this state since introduction.  I found this particularly distressing as sanitary and storm system design accounted to 3/4 of my responsibilities.  It was quite disappointing to fire up the program the first time for 3 years running and find minimal or zero new functionality along with the same bugs and defects carried over from the previous release.

Bob Garner

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »
In my case Revit(?)  As I said before somewhere else, that product is like a wine that is not nearly ready to uncork.  I say give it no less than five years before even considering purchasing.  Then look to purchasing from the competition before committing to Adesk.