Author Topic: Anybody use an application to store/organise their code snippets?  (Read 31516 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Anybody use an application to store/organise their code snippets?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »
<snip>

I set up several repositories, one for each programming language I use, but that's just because I didn't want to let indecision about how to organize things to keep me from moving forward.  There are plenty of perfectly valid ways to partition things.  For instance, a large project with multiple constituent parts should probably have its own repository, even if different parts are written if different languages.

*thinking out loud*
o  Does the language in the different projects really matter?
o  For that matter, does the types of files (being able to diff them aside) really matter?
o  Can having all your chicks in one basket (so to speak) be a bad idea (corruption/loss)?
o  Can having mulitiple versions of mulitiple repositories be a bad thing (USB version older
    then both work and home, but home is older then work version...)?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 01:13:27 PM »
I use the one available from the objectarx wiz, and find from files at specific folders from visual studio, all my code is in a simple folder directory

Programming
C++
ARX
C#

From the most languages I work lately

AutoLisp it is in another of my drives, and if I need to find or use something, I use the vlide and find.

I know, I only do code at home, do not carry out nothing....

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »

Not really.  Like I said, it was just a decision I made to keep moving forward.  I couldn't really make up my mind what would be *best* so I did  something that would be good enough.

o  For that matter, does the types of files (being able to diff them aside) really matter?

Absolutely.  I have a terrible memory, and it is very useful to me to be able to *see* what I changed in the last revision, and what it looked like before.  You know, so I can figure out why the old version worked, and the new one doesn't.  Strike that.  I misunderstood your question.  See answer above.

o  Can having all your chicks in one basket (so to speak) be a bad idea (corruption/loss)?

Perhaps.  I do back up my repositories regularly, and *all* my chicks aren't in a single basket.  All my C++ chicks are in one basket, and so on.  Still, I would be very upset if any one of my repositories got corrupted, especially if all my backups got overwritten with the corrupt repo.

o  Can having mulitiple versions of mulitiple repositories be a bad thing (USB version older

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you talking about multiple working copies or maybe multiple backups of the repositories?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:43:57 PM by Chuck Gabriel »

Glenn R

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »
After searching the net and amazon for good, fast and relatively inexpensive USB flash drives (which I've given up on unless somebody can recommend a good one), I suddenly had a thought.

I regularly use either the windows index or google desktop search to find a particular word or phrase in a code file (ie Layout, DBDictionary, EntityJig etc.)...do you have the ability to search one repository or multiple repositories...?????

tjr

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
After searching the net and amazon for good, fast and relatively inexpensive USB flash drives (which I've given up on unless somebody can recommend a good one), I suddenly had a thought.

I regularly use either the windows index or google desktop search to find a particular word or phrase in a code file (ie Layout, DBDictionary, EntityJig etc.)...do you have the ability to search one repository or multiple repositories...?????
You should still be able to use windows index or google desktop to search your code. Unless you're talking about old revisions, which isn't likely.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 05:21:39 PM »

http://tools.tortoisesvn.net/grepWin

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »

Have you seen/used this?

http://www.zero-one-zero.com/vs/

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »

Have you seen/used this?

http://www.zero-one-zero.com/vs/

and this:

http://www.usysware.com/dpack/Default.aspx

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »

Not really.  Like I said, it was just a decision I made to keep moving forward.  I couldn't really make up my mind what would be *best* so I did  something that would be good enough.

Absolutely.  I have a terrible memory, and it is very useful to me to be able to *see* what I changed in the last revision, and what it looked like before.  You know, so I can figure out why the old version worked, and the new one doesn't.  Strike that.  I misunderstood your question.  See answer above.

Perhaps.  I do back up my repositories regularly, and *all* my chicks aren't in a single basket.  All my C++ chicks are in one basket, and so on.  Still, I would be very upset if any one of my repositories got corrupted, especially if all my backups got overwritten with the corrupt repo.

o  Can having multiple versions of multiple repositories be a bad thing (USB version older

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you talking about multiple working copies or maybe multiple backups of the repositories?

Im gonna put my thinking cap on durring the drive home and keep on this topic (best overall solution/method/process/etc.)

> chicks in a basket
So do you just remember what project was written in what language. -i.e. You just remember that F00 was written in C++ and F00BAR was written in C#

> multiple versions of multiple repositories
Multiple repositories in multiple locations.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Glenn R

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
That's the ideas/thoughts I'm having at the moment 7....

Glenn R

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »

You should still be able to use windows index or google desktop to search your code. Unless you're talking about old revisions, which isn't likely.

Tim, that might work, however, looking at the repository in windows explorer, I couldn't find any file with any name I recognise in the repository, which is what I expected as it's using FSFS to store the data in the repos in it's own format, which is the kicker - will the search/indexers be able to recurse into the repos and find what you're looking for...?

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »
> chicks in a basket
So do you just remember what project was written in what language. -i.e. You just remember that F00 was written in C++ and F00BAR was written in C#

There are a few minor and rarely-used projects that I can't even remember the name of (much less what language I wrote them in), but I'm still able to remember where to find most of what I've written.

> multiple versions of multiple repositories
Multiple repositories in multiple locations.

I only work from the repositories on my usb drive, so getting out of sync isn't an issue for me.  All other copies are just backups in case something catastrophic happens.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »

Tim, that might work, however, looking at the repository in windows explorer, I couldn't find any file with any name I recognise in the repository, which is what I expected as it's using FSFS to store the data in the repos in it's own format, which is the kicker - will the search/indexers be able to recurse into the repos and find what you're looking for...?

But the repos isn't really meant to be searched, is it? On my netbsd server the data is stored in BerkleyBD and not so readable.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Glenn R

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 04:24:48 AM »
BDB....Thought they dropped that - only supporting for legacy. As far as I'm aware, the default is FSFS isn't it?

If you can't search into a repository, then that's a serious downside...maybe the previous tool posted by 7 is the answer - grepWin....

tjr

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »
BDB....Thought they dropped that - only supporting for legacy. As far as I'm aware, the default is FSFS isn't it?

If you can't search into a repository, then that's a serious downside...maybe the previous tool posted by 7 is the answer - grepWin....
Wait, SVN repositories are stored on a special filesystem?  :ugly: