Author Topic: CAD management training recommendation  (Read 5019 times)

Notsober

CAD management training recommendation
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »
IYO what would you recommend as far as me becoming the "official" CAD manager in my office?

or if not this one, how to go about establishing some credentials as a CAD manager hopeful.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: CAD management training recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
Thats a tough one.  First learn everything about acad so that you can answer the questions of your peers, then set about developing cad standards and hopefully enforcing them, then customize acad to make your team more productive.

and finally ask for a raise
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:28:28 PM »
IYO what would you recommend as far as me becoming the "official" CAD manager in my office?

or if not this one, how to go about establishing some credentials as a CAD manager hopeful.

Learn anything you can about:

1. VBA/Lisp/C++ reactors and automation
2. Directory structures
3. Databases/Spread Sheets
4. Forms
5. Transmittal submission
6. How to test for quality employees

Just off the top f my head...

Notsober

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
that doesn't sound that tough.

the problem is the stubborn a$$ engineer here. And management sucks up to him.

seriously, this is by no means bragging when it's true, but with as little of ACAD that i DO know, is a whole heck of alot more than everybody else in this office. The only thing some have over me is that they've been doing piping and structural and civil alot longer than I have (some nearly 20 years).

hint: more older folks here. Coastal town, chemical plants and refineries.

In more specific terms - I've been here for a year and a half, and they don't feel comfortable with me goin changin everythang! not yet anyway...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:39:55 PM by Robert Holland »

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:45:12 PM »

Where oh where is Cadaver when he's needed.  :-D

Notsober

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »

Where oh where is Cadaver when he's needed.  :-D

uh oh, did i write something bad?

quick! i hope a moderator will have mercy on me n delete my post b4 Cadaver sees it and punches me!

pmvliet

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
One thing that I have learned is if the company does not want a CADD manager, you are going up against a brick wall.
Yeah, you can dazzle them with productivity enhancements and things like that, but if they don't want it nor see a benefit, it won't go far...

With that aside, take NO out of your vocabulary as anything is possible. It is just a matter of time, money and knowledge.
Be open to everything and anything and always look for better ways. Do you job to the best of your abilities and share all the knowledge that you have. Don't hold back thinking if I keep this one little secret, my job will be secure.

Good Luck!

Pieter

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
I believe Cadaver could actually give you some very useful suggestions.

Notsober

Notsober

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »
man I like your thinking.

yeah, i do already share around the office with what I know (for example, ways I can help them be more productive, or at least more proficient in what they do). but some, really don't want to be counted on like that. Seems like they like remaining the "non-know-it-all" LoL

One thing that I have learned is if the company does not want a CADD manager, you are going up against a brick wall.
Yeah, you can dazzle them with productivity enhancements and things like that, but if they don't want it nor see a benefit, it won't go far...

With that aside, take NO out of your vocabulary as anything is possible. It is just a matter of time, money and knowledge.
Be open to everything and anything and always look for better ways. Do you job to the best of your abilities and share all the knowledge that you have. Don't hold back thinking if I keep this one little secret, my job will be secure.

Good Luck!

Pieter

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
Are they waiting on retirement?  Are they twice your age?  Reason I ask, is I have users here that have been in this department and doing drafting longer than I have been alive (37 yrs).  This can present some interesting challenges (notice not problems).
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Notsober

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »
Are they waiting on retirement?  Are they twice your age?  Reason I ask, is I have users here that have been in this department and doing drafting longer than I have been alive (37 yrs).  This can present some interesting challenges (notice not problems).

yes some of them are almost twice my age. the rest are younger than me and still green. The in-betweens are jokes of draftsmen - eh, okay on CAD, but have no understanding of "draftsmanship".

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
uh oh, did i write something bad?

quick! i hope a moderator will have mercy on me n delete my post b4 Cadaver sees it and punches me!

Sorry Robert.  :-D  Cadaver is a ..erm.... "well seasoned and experienced".... member here on the Swamp.  He is near coastal Texas and I believe in the same industry more or less.

No worries.  :-D

Notsober

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »
hehehe... i figured so... no, no worries. I'm just trying to **feel** a little humorous, despite my frustrations.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:35:16 PM »
What part of the coast?  I'm in Southern Central Louisiana... actually doing some buildings for a Foam/LNG production company right now although they got someone else to do the skids and mechanical mounting stuff... which is fine with me, the foundations are interesting enough without the PITA skid drawings... skids are boring as watching flies f... procreate.

I can't give much advice, other than echoing sentiments of pmvliet.  I think CAD Management can only work if it's enforcable.

CADaver gave the best three sentences of advice for CAD management in his interview thread when I was picking his brain.
"1.) Standards must be as automated as possible as to be as invisible to the user as can be had programatically
2.) For those elements that can not be automated, they must be programmatically enhanced such that compliance is much easier than non-compliance.
3.) For those elements that can not be covered by 1 & 2 above, the importance of compliance must be imparted to the end user by educational avenues."

I took his advice to heart after thinking about it and seeing the wisdom in those words.  It's served me quite well.  There will always be exceptions.  For now I cannot enforce standards... we would only shoot ourselves in the foot if we were to punish someone, somehow, for not sticking to standards... we're a very small office of mostly engineers.  I'm the only 100% CAD guy here, though we're always looking for more drafters.  I take on the drawing work of between 2-4 engineers as well as the stuff I can do on my own.  We're working on it though.

I'm blessed to have enthusiastic encouragement and support of my superiors.