Author Topic: Dynamic blocks & not overcomplicating things  (Read 4041 times)

AlexFielder

• Mosquito
Dynamic blocks & not overcomplicating things
« on: September 11, 2023, 09:16:03 AM »
Hi all,

It's been many years since I last needed to create a Dynamic block in AutoCAD (currently using 2024 FWIW).

I have a dynamic block (attached) that I need to do a couple of things:

• Have multiple variations of the number of "U" shaped brackets - (x, 4, 3 and 2 respectively)
  • Have variations of 1) which have either equi-spaced or manual spacing between the "U" shaped brackets

Am I better off creating individual dynamics blocks for each requirement, or is there some fancy setup I can create using Visibility states/Lookup tables etc.

Thanks,

Alex.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Dynamic blocks & not overcomplicating things
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 11:43:25 AM »
I used Dyn Blocks for what you are wanting, and it worked great.  But when it came time to change existing parts, it became difficult sorting through the different visibility views and keeping the geometry straight and sorted.  I think I if I planned how to build them better up front, the maintenance of the blocks would not have been so bad.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

AlexFielder

• Mosquito
Re: Dynamic blocks & not overcomplicating things
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 05:16:48 AM »
I used Dyn Blocks for what you are wanting, and it worked great.  But when it came time to change existing parts, it became difficult sorting through the different visibility views and keeping the geometry straight and sorted.  I think I if I planned how to build them better up front, the maintenance of the blocks would not have been so bad.

Thanks David, as much as I would like/expect Dynamic block visibility states to behave in the same table-driven manner that many functions in Inventor behave (when they behave of course(!)) I think I am going to have to retain the parametric features but forget the visibility states for the reason you state.