Author Topic: xy parameter  (Read 8419 times)

daron

xy parameter
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »
Currently, I have a window block that will stretch lengthwise via the "stretch" action using "Distance" parameter, then widthwise from the center outward using the other two stretch params along "Distance1". Shown is "Stretch2" with its Distance multiplier set to -1.0000. This allows it to stretch in opposition to the parameters grip which is the desired effect.

However, what I'd like to do, is use the XY Parameter and use only one grip in order to achieve the same effect. Does that make sense? What I'm getting when I try it, is a parallelogram effect. IOW, two points move in any direction while the opposite two are held in place. Has anyone had any luck getting the xy parameter to do what I want, or is it not the intended purpose?

Kate M

Re: xy parameter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:24:58 PM »
Daron,

I got it to work the way you wanted by putting the "active" grips of the horizontal and vertical stretches on top of each other. That way you only see one grip, but it stretches both ways. I don't think the XY parameter will do what you want.

daron

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
Hmm. I didn't even think to do that. I've been too focused on that xy. Thanks.

whdjr

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:39:10 AM »
I've never thought to use a negative number for a 'Distance Multiplier'.  If I use a 'Linear Param' with a middle start point my 'DM's are all positive #s; I just choose which end I want the stretch associated with.  If I need a stretch to move in a specific direction regardless of which end I am selecting, I just change the angle offset of my 'Stretch'.

Can you post a block?

daron

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »
What do you mean change the angle offset? I like to limit the grips and gain maximum functionality, that's why I use the negative distance. It allows me to get two actions for the price of one. The solution that Kate presented, allows all three actions with one grip. There's no need to ever use any other grip. However, if there ever is a need dynamic grips work the same as normal grips wherein you can select the grip, type "B", and select a different basepoint. It's sweet like that. BTW, do you know that the distance parameter can be set to 0.5 to make other objects move/stretch/array at half the distance of the selected grip? What would you like a block for? Here is the one questioned, and resolved.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:55:25 AM »
Cool Block Daron.  I like seeing the xy action in action.

I would only make the following suggestion.  I would use a mask for the exterior lines so that you don't have to trim/break the wall geometry and thus it saves you from having to draw a header.  If you do this then I would move your alignment to a point that is parallel with the wall geometry.

Just my half cent opinion.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Kate M

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:31:57 PM »
Daron,

Okay, I tried to type out the explanation, and got myself confused. So here's an example with a stretch & angle offset. Stretch1 is associated with the right-hand end of the parameter, and has an angle offset of 180.

whdjr

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
What do you mean change the angle offset? I like to limit the grips and gain maximum functionality, that's why I use the negative distance. It allows me to get two actions for the price of one.

The angle offset allows you to control the direction of the action without modifying the distance multiplier.  Try this:  Change the action with the -1 to a 1 and the angel offset to 180.  It does the same thing as your block.  I never said your block was wrong, just that I had never thought about using a negative number.  We all know there are more than one way to skin a cat.

I also like your use of putting the param nodes on top of each other to make it look like one node.  Most blocks I've seen haven't used that technique much.

daron

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »
Krush, that's not the xy action. As for wall geometry, I just grabbed a window from one of the many buildings here already in use and turned it into a block and made it dynamic. I'm not even sure it was the best one to use, but it's now on four other buildings. As for breaking the wall geometry, it's already broken. I'm righting a ship that began in 1908 and has gone through many phases of change, including what is the best cad platform to use. I have about 70 different buildings to work on and five of them are high rises with the lowest one being 15 stories. The current drawings have no blocks. Walls, windows and doors on the same layer, with some, fortunately having different colors, but others do not. To top it off, most of the linework has no object snap usage. All I'm doing is correcting what exists and trying to make it more efficient. It may be a good idea to do what you are saying there. I'll look into that.

Kate, thanks. Will, I remember that now. I'm sure it has its uses, but I guess I like to stick with consistency. For moving backwards or for making objects move at different rates, I've always used the distance multiplier and making it negative was the first option I figured out when I took up dynamic blocks.

Well, this has been fun. Hope we all learned something.

whdjr

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:37:01 AM »
Well, this has been fun. Hope we all learned something.

Ditto,  :-)

jvicario

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:12:23 AM »

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
select the actions and in the properties select constrain to x or y direction. and for the xy parameter make sure only one grip is on.
You will use to stretches in the x direction, one set to either -1 dist. multiplier or angle offset 180 degrees.
The parameter first point needs to be in the centerline of the block, then you can make it stretch each direction.

I attached a block that does this, unless your wanting a different combination of behaviors.

I *THINK* this is what your after.

CadJockey Militia Commander