Author Topic: autosave Q...  (Read 9128 times)

t-bear

autosave Q...
« on: August 04, 2004, 11:45:27 AM »
Had a request to make the autosave function save as a .bak and to the current directory.  Anyone have any ideas? Can it even be done?

Sitra

autosave Q...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
Not to sure but, can't you set that up in your options.

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 12:25:27 PM »
I can define a *specific* directory but I need to set it up to save to the *current* directory.  Reason: we have located a proggy that lists .bak files in the current directory, renames the selected *.bak to *.bak.dwg and opens the file.  We would like the autosave to save to that directory to utilize this routine......

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 12:42:17 PM »
Code: [Select]
(setvar "SAVEFILEPATH" (getvar "DWGPREFIX"))
maybe

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
Funny thing just happened...saw a new post under VeeBeeAee and, IF I can figure out how to set up a VBA routine, this might be just the ticket.....check it out.

Film at eleven

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
autosave Q...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 01:34:59 PM »
(setvar "SAVEFILEPATH" (getvar "DWGPREFIX"))

Works like a charm. Just add that line to your acaddoc.lsp.

Good call CADAVER.
 :D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 01:54:14 PM »
So....how do I set it up to autosave every 10 minutes?

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 01:57:42 PM »
Tools>Options>Open and Save
File Safety Precautions...
Automatic save:
10 minutes between saves

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
autosave Q...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 02:42:32 PM »

or you can put this in your acaddoc.lsp

(setvar 'isavebak 1)     <- makes sure a .bak file is created
(setvar 'isavepercent 0)     <- creates a full save everytime
(setvar 'savetime 10)     <- sets autosave to 10 minutes
(setvar 'savefilepath (getvar "dwgprefix"))

HTH

Custom Build PC

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 03:01:29 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp

HTH

oooo, I like it.

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 03:01:48 PM »

HTH

Great ideas...

As long as you don't let those BAK's really start adding up...that can get pretty messy.

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 03:05:47 PM »
Quote from: M-dub

HTH

Great ideas...

As long as you don't let those BAK's really start adding up...that can get pretty messy.
Somebody here once posted something that would delete BAKs older than a certain time, anybody remember where or when?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
autosave Q...
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 03:22:35 PM »
So how do you get the *.bak files to save to a certain directory when using a qsave? Currently, it saves them to the same path as the drawing. I would like to isolate them to one directory rather that having them scattered all over the network.

Thanks,

Ron

Custom Build PC

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 04:04:57 PM »
If I use this, doesn't it overwrite the last *.bak?  There would be no more .baks than with doing a normal qsave....right?  One .bak per .dwg in a folder.....

Ahhhhh, Ron. Reverse problem, eh?  This is getting interesting.

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 04:10:42 PM »
I will look at it tomorrow, but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere a bak1, bak2, bak3, etc...
Look that up...

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 04:14:09 PM »
.....a bak1, bak2, bak3, etc...

<SHUDDER!>
That's all I need.... "now creating....*.bak379,244"....

sinc

autosave Q...
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 04:29:18 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
.....a bak1, bak2, bak3, etc...

<SHUDDER!>
That's all I need.... "now creating....*.bak379,244"....

File Not Saved Error: disk full (79,957,946,535 of 79,957,946,545 bytes used)  :D

sinc

autosave Q...
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 04:39:17 PM »
So how do you get the *.bak files to save to a certain directory when using a qsave? Currently, it saves them to the same path as the drawing. I would like to isolate them to one directory rather that having them scattered all over the network.

Thanks,

Ron

Make sure you've thought this through before you do this.  It can work if you have strict naming conventions for your files that result in no two drawings having the same name, regardless of the directory or project they may be in, but it can still cause problems, especially in multi-user environments...

Most of the time, if you're trying to get to the .bak file, having it right there with the original drawing is the most convenient place for it.  Just configure your automated-backup software (you have some, right?  :D ) to ignore the .bak files, and make sure they're deleted before you archive a project.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
autosave Q...
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 04:51:20 PM »
Make sure you've thought this through before you do this. It can work if you have strict naming conventions for your files that result in no two drawings having the same name, regardless of the directory or project they may be in, but it can still cause problems, especially in multi-user environments...

Good point....I'll research it further.

What part of Colorado you from Sinc?

Custom Build PC

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 05:23:35 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
If I use this, doesn't it overwrite the last *.bak?  There would be no more .baks than with doing a normal qsave....right?  One .bak per .dwg in a folder.....

Ahhhhh, Ron. Reverse problem, eh?  This is getting interesting.
Autosave makes subsequent BAKs as it goes, so if you've been working for a while without a save you can have several.

AUTOSAVE was designed for a catostrophic failure of the system.  Based on the savetime, it makes a ???.$SV file.  This file is deleted when you save or exit the program properly.

If BAK is on, AUTOSAVE takes the old $SV and makes a BAK, if you've properly saved or exited there is no $SV to make a BAK from, so autosave renames the $SV and begins to make new BAKs

sinc

autosave Q...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 08:42:39 PM »

From Pueblo, currently living in the Colorado Springs area, although I tend to think of Boulder as "home"...

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 08:02:20 AM »
Pueblo...C. Springs....Boulder..... That 'bout covers the state from north to south.  Notice you didn't mention Denver .... so I won't either.  Lived in Montezuma for a few years, working for Keystone.  That's waaaaay back when it was first started.  Did you know that Montezuma and St. Johns were both considered for the state capitol when Colorado was applying for statehood?  Talk about going up on capitol hill......!

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 08:08:59 AM »
Lived in Denver for a year back in the early '80's, workin' fer Stearns-Rogers.  I'd move back tomorrow if I could talk the wife into it.

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 08:45:02 AM »
That's a big IF...anytime you bring 'The Wife' into the mix...

:roll: ;)

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 10:01:42 AM »
That's a big IF...anytime you bring 'The Wife' into the mix...

:roll: ;)
Yeah buddy, she didn't like being cold, and when we moved from Denver to Chicago, she liked being colder even less.  So here we are on the Texas Gulf coast, it was 103F here yesterday with 98%humidity  :cry: ... well she ain't cold.

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 10:33:54 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
Yeah buddy, she didn't like being cold, and when we moved from Denver to Chicago, she liked being colder even less.  So here we are on the Texas Gulf coast, it was 103F here yesterday with 98%humidity  :cry: ... well she ain't cold.

A lot of people around here complain about the cold as well, but I'd gladly take 5 frigid days over 1 extremely hot & humid day.  As far as I'm concerned, people should only be allowed to complain about 1 season.  It's either too hot or too cold.  Myself, I complain about heat.  It's a lot easier to warm up than it is to cool down.  Camping last weekend was great weather.  it got a little hot when the wind died down, but I like it around 85 degrees.

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 12:02:12 PM »
It's a lot easier to warm up than it is to cool down.
You can put on the right clothes to get warm, but you can strip down to arrestable and still be hot.

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 12:04:49 PM »
I was going to say exactly that.  It takes a little more effort / technology / money to cool down.

Like you said, if you're cold, put a sweater and a hat on or light a fire.  If you're hot, hope you've got a pool or an air conditioner, etc.

pmvliet

autosave Q...
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 02:07:38 PM »
Normally AutoCad will create the BAK where the file is located. Here in our office we move the BAK's to th user's lcoal C:\DWG\Bak directory.
Eventually you would take up twice the space on the server with each DWG having equivalent BAK.

There is a variable in AutoCad called MoveBAK. You can set this to anywhere you want it to be. Moving it to a local machine does a couple things. It keeps the server clean. If multiple people work on a file, the work they do is saved as a BAK on their local machine. So if person A does work on a file and is done working. Person B goes into the file and say erases all of A's work. After you go over and slap B's head, you can go to person A's computer and get their BAK file.

BAK's will overwrite the existing and be a perpetual back-up. I have seen sequential but I am not sure how this occurs or what causes it.

Pieter

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2004, 03:03:45 PM »
Quote from: pmvliet
Normally AutoCad will create the BAK where the file is located. Here in our office we move the BAK's to th user's lcoal C:\DWG\Bak directory.
Eventually you would take up twice the space on the server with each DWG having equivalent BAK.

There is a variable in AutoCad called MoveBAK. You can set this to anywhere you want it to be. Moving it to a local machine does a couple things. It keeps the server clean. If multiple people work on a file, the work they do is saved as a BAK on their local machine. So if person A does work on a file and is done working. Person B goes into the file and say erases all of A's work. After you go over and slap B's head, you can go to person A's computer and get their BAK file.

BAK's will overwrite the existing and be a perpetual back-up. I have seen sequential but I am not sure how this occurs or what causes it.

Pieter

You're talking actual drawing BAK's, we're talking AUTOSAVE file BAK's

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
autosave Q...
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 03:19:13 PM »
Quote from: sinc

From Pueblo, currently living in the Colorado Springs area, although I tend to think of Boulder as "home"...

Hey cool -- I used to live in Colorado (Eldorado Springs) a long time ago, like from 1964-67!
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 03:21:05 PM »
MP!  Where ya been?!  Haven't seen much of you lately...
What are you busy or something?!? :)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
autosave Q...
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 03:39:28 PM »
There is a variable in AutoCad called MoveBAK.

That's exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you very much.  :D  :D

Custom Build PC

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
autosave Q...
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 04:19:55 PM »
So how would I set the movebak variable to  "O:\\BACKUP\\(getvar "loginname")  <-- this doesn't seem to work and the login name folder is already there.

Custom Build PC

pmvliet

autosave Q...
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 05:18:07 PM »
I guess I don't see why one would want to create a back-up of an Autosave SV$ file. Not all SV$ files are complete files. Some only have partial bit's of information. A long while ago, I believe Keith did some posts about creating reactor's. maybe you would need to look into something like that so when the Autosave is run, it runs through a reactor to create sequential Bak's. I don't have much trust with the Autosave as it has not done what it has suppose to in the past  :cry:

As far as pointing the movebak variable to an individual variable such as "username". Is the O:\ drive a network drive that everyone has access to? I would think it could work, but I am not up on code or setting variables so AutoCad could read it. You may have to add an environment variable in your operating system.

CADaver

autosave Q...
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 08:07:32 PM »
Quote from: pmvliet
I guess I don't see why one would want to create a back-up of an Autosave SV$ file. Not all SV$ files are complete files. Some only have partial bit's of information.
hmmm...  they must contain enough data to be renamed and opened as a complete drawing, otherwise what's the point of autosave, right?

t-bear

autosave Q...
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 10:08:05 PM »
Just had use for the *.SV$ file today (actually, I need it quite often here.....) and it had all the info from the save time.  I have never had a partial *.SV$......And they have saves my as....bacon more than once!

MP

• Seagull
autosave Q...
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2004, 01:03:53 AM »
MP!  Where ya been?!  Haven't seen much of you lately...
What are you busy or something?!? :)

Hey M-dub, thanks for asking! Well, ummm ...

... me an about 6 neighbors pitched in together and have been putting up fencing around our respective properties (digging holes, like 90 of them, mixing concrete, raisin' posts, installing gates) ...

... finalizing our wedding plans, caterer, DJ, photographer (only one more month as a single man) ...

... sneakin' the odd moment to do a bit of photography (from last Friday morning, around 6 AM ish) ...

Color depth and size reduced in the interests of bandwidth. Saturation etc. pushed to the extreme to make more dramatic.

... and a suite of other activities keepin' me away from the swamp, but I'll be droppin' in occasionally like this to make sure all's well.

Cheers all,

Michael.

:)
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

M-dub

autosave Q...
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2004, 08:43:35 AM »
Quote from: MP
... me an about 6 neighbors pitched in together and have been putting up fencing around our respective properties (digging holes, like 90 of them, mixing concrete, raisin' posts, installing gates) ...

I didn't know the Amish used computers!  ;)  Sorry, just reminds me of an old fashined barn raisin'

That's a pretty nice picture!  Have you ever checked out www.webshots.com?  They've got some really wicked pics like yours and you can upload your own to share as well...
I've got some on there.  http://community.webshots.com/user/fpeef

They're old pics, and I have a new camera now, but some of these ones are half decent...

Good to hear someone else is taking "the plunge" as well as Hudster!

Take Care

MP

• Seagull
autosave Q...
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2004, 12:26:33 PM »
Quote from: MP

I didn't know the Amish used computers!  ;)  Sorry, just reminds me of an old fashined barn raisin'

That's a pretty nice picture!  Have you ever checked out www.webshots.com?  They've got some really wicked pics like yours and you can upload your own to share as well...
I've got some on there.  http://community.webshots.com/user/fpeef

They're old pics, and I have a new camera now, but some of these ones are half decent...

Good to hear someone else is taking "the plunge" as well as Hudster!

Take Care

I guess it was rather "Amish" -- except we had beer. :)

Thanks for the webshots thing -- I'll check it out.

Oh yeah, what's yer camera?