Author Topic: Zoom and Objects Disappear (visually)  (Read 16865 times)

Josh Nieman

Re: Zoom and Objects Disappear (visually)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 04:02:52 PM »
I hate to resort to these tactics, but does a good 'ol restart do anything?

One of the guys here likes to lock his computer for the night instead of logging off or (what I do) restart before going home.  Causes all kinds of little gotcha's here and there.  I've almost drilled it into his brain that he should be restarting every night.  Locking does no good, logging off is better, but restarting is the best bet.  We have to leave our PC's on to receive updates from IT... company policy.  Otherwise, I'd say shut down every night.

I notice Autocad gets particularly buggy if I've had my computer up for a week or so without a restart.  I don't think I've done a hard shutdown in.... months.  Other than power outages where we frantically save and shut down before the battery backup kicks out.  I restart at least once a week, though, lately.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
I hate to resort to these tactics, but does a good 'ol restart do anything?

One of the guys here likes to lock his computer for the night instead of logging off or (what I do) restart before going home.  Causes all kinds of little gotcha's here and there.  I've almost drilled it into his brain that he should be restarting every night.  Locking does no good, logging off is better, but restarting is the best bet.  We have to leave our PC's on to receive updates from IT... company policy.  Otherwise, I'd say shut down every night.

I notice Autocad gets particularly buggy if I've had my computer up for a week or so without a restart.  I don't think I've done a hard shutdown in.... months.  Other than power outages where we frantically save and shut down before the battery backup kicks out.  I restart at least once a week, though, lately.

This bat file runs on my computer every morning @ 4am so I always start from a fresh reboot  :kewl:.

:Reboot Computer
%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -f -r -t 00

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 04:07:42 PM »
(Sorry about the mini-hijack, Ron)

Josh, I tell the guys here that just locking his PC every night is like staying at work, but with the lights off.  Logging off would be like staying at work, but napping.  Restarting is like going home for the night to return the next day, refreshed, but shutting down would be like going home and having a nice long sleep.

.........I know... over-simplified and far from acurate, but I'm just trying to get him to restart his machine every night.

M-dub

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »

This bat file runs on my computer every morning @ 4am so I always start from a fresh reboot  :kewl:.

What happens if you happened to forget something up and running without saving?  I'm assuming you lose it?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 04:09:26 PM »
(Sorry about the mini-hijack, Ron)

Josh, I tell the guys here that just locking his PC every night is like staying at work, but with the lights off.  Logging off would be like staying at work, but napping.  Restarting is like going home for the night to return the next day, refreshed, but shutting down would be like going home and having a nice long sleep.

.........I know... over-simplified and far from acurate, but I'm just trying to get him to restart his machine every night.

Take that .bat from ronjonp and 'plant' it ;)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »

What happens if you happened to forget something up and running without saving?  I'm assuming you lose it?
I close out of everything before I go home  :-P

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
Take that .bat from ronjonp and 'plant' it ;)

I would, but see concern above / below

I have a little application that I use to shut down our large format scanner every night from 5:30pm to 6:30 am to extend the bulbs' life.

M-dub

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »
Not that it matters, but when you're zooming, do you use the wheel or is this a zoom window / dynamic / in / out?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
I zoom with the wheel.

Custom Build PC

kentium3k

• Newt
  • Adopt a Greyhound! No, not a bus.
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 10:56:49 PM »
I think I've posted this before, but I've been banging my head on the wall trying to figure this one out. Here's the issue, sometimes I'll be in a drawing (large or small) and zoom, and everything disappears or turns blocky (like Atari)! If I is use cntrl+a to select all objects, they are all still in the drawing as I can see the grips. I've tried different video card drivers, only loading one lisp (with subroutines) to rule out any of my other routines are causing this to happens...and still the same  :realmad:.

All I'm looking for is a nudge in the right direction for figuring this out.

Thanks,

Ron

I have this happen to me, and only when using True Type Fonts.  If I change to SHX I will never see this problem.  Some have said they feel it was fixed with SP1 in 2008 but I can still make it happen.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped. C. Coolidge

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 08:20:10 AM »
I think I've posted this before, but I've been banging my head on the wall trying to figure this one out. Here's the issue, sometimes I'll be in a drawing (large or small) and zoom, and everything disappears or turns blocky (like Atari)! If I is use cntrl+a to select all objects, they are all still in the drawing as I can see the grips. I've tried different video card drivers, only loading one lisp (with subroutines) to rule out any of my other routines are causing this to happens...and still the same  :realmad:.

All I'm looking for is a nudge in the right direction for figuring this out.

Thanks,

Ron

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there with the problem. Thanks for the reply.

Ron

I have this happen to me, and only when using True Type Fonts.  If I change to SHX I will never see this problem.  Some have said they feel it was fixed with SP1 in 2008 but I can still make it happen.

Custom Build PC

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 09:45:57 AM »
Ron, are you on subscription?  If so, log it w/ adesk
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
Nultiple drawings, multiple computers...Can you forward one of the afflicted drawings my way?
Otherwise it might semp that your front/back clipping planes may have been turned on and adjusted by some user.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CADaver

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »
I zoom with the wheel.
Sounds like and MS vs hardware issue.  What happens when you use the zoom command??

M-dub

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »
What happens when you use the zoom command??

That's what I was going to ask next...