Author Topic: Decks (spacing of deck boards)  (Read 9098 times)

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Decks (spacing of deck boards)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »
...spacing between boards on my back porch is about big enough to lose something important in between (1/2 inch).

I was in Sacramento for an SP thing a few years ago.  Went to dinner with some friends who lived there and they took me to this very swanky, cool, restaurant that was on the river.  We ate in a screened-in outdoor room that was built over the river.  When I paid I handed my credit card to the waiter and he dropped it.  You should have seen the look on this poor guy's face when he was juggling it.  It landed on the middle of a board but there was probably about a 1/4" space between the floor boards and below that ...... open river.  I wonder how many things they lose to that river every year.  :-D  One would think they would design some kind of netting for under it.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »
very cool patio!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 09:16:29 AM »
They treat cedar down dere?

I think it was treated, my dad still has a lot of boards left (especially the 1x1s from the railing ..uhm.. spokes I guess) and each board has that little tag stapled to the end with the info on it... I thought they only did that to treated lumber, but what I know of lumber is very limited.  I was 15 at the time I built it with him, and was mainly the "Josh, watch me do this pain in the butt task once, and go do it 80 times for me, k?" type guy.  I learned a lot, but I wasn't in on a lot of the details like that.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
I was in Sacramento for an SP thing a few years ago.  Went to dinner with some friends who lived there and they took me to this very swanky, cool, restaurant that was on the river.  We ate in a screened-in outdoor room that was built over the river.  When I paid I handed my credit card to the waiter and he dropped it.  You should have seen the look on this poor guy's face when he was juggling it.  It landed on the middle of a board but there was probably about a 1/4" space between the floor boards and below that ...... open river.  I wonder how many things they lose to that river every year.  :-D  One would think they would design some kind of netting for under it.

I can just see it now...

"Carla.... will you marry... NOOOOOO!!   OH MY GOD!!!  IT'S GONE!!!  IT'S GONE!!!  SON OF A....!!!   AWWW, GOD!!  NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!  THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING!!"

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:44 AM »

M-dub

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »
That is some nice work, Matt!  :)

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »
That is some nice work, Matt!  :)

Thanks.  I'll have to bring in some hi-res pics if I remember.  These fuzzy pics just don't do it justice.

I used mostly Techo-Bloc from **cold chill runs down spine** Canada!   :-) :wink:

M-dub

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 09:24:19 AM »
I used mostly Techo-Bloc from **cold chill runs down spine** Canada!   :-) :wink:

Heaven forbid!  ;)

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »

Heaven forbid!  ;)

They make some good stuff.  The wall blocks were Techo-Bloc (I think).  Anyhoo.... They were really easy to install (after I did some drawings in AutoCAD for the design).  Just drop a row down, throw in the pegs and drop down another row.  Before I did the drawings I was fiddling with each block trying to figure out "Okay... which one should go next?  I want them to be staggered.  Okay, maybe this one should go here.... Um... maybe not."  I DO remember that the largest wall block weighed in at 64 pounds.  Yeah.... didn't want to have to move that one anymore than I needed to.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Free bottle of Ketchup with every pallet.

M-dub

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 09:41:55 AM »
Free bottle of Ketchup with every pallet.

Call in the next 15 minutes and get 4 litres of Maple Syrup and a tuque at no extra charge!

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 09:42:36 AM »
Matt,

Can you email me those photos?

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 09:44:56 AM »
Matt,

Ummmm.... Why?  What are you up to??  Hmmmm???

You can just right-click on the file name and select the save picture as option.

If that doesn't work, than, yeah... I can email them.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »
Matt,

Ummmm.... Why?  What are you up to??  Hmmmm???

You can just right-click on the file name and select the save picture as option.

If that doesn't work, than, yeah... I can email them.

Just to show my wife.  Future improvements to our place.

Yeah I can go through all that trouble, but I was trying to be like management and push it off on someone else.

I'll grab them myself.

Thanks

Greg

Josh Nieman

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 09:48:13 AM »
  Nice work Matt.  I'm looking at a couple retainment/paver projects next spring.  I've done them before but not on my own house.  :-D

You know what they say... the cobbler's children have no shoes.