Author Topic: Leading zeros  (Read 20926 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Leading zeros
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »
As in ... N 05°06'07" E. Mostly curious because just about all the surveys we see around have leading zeros in the bearing. That and my current boss ( the one who signs the surveys ) will not accept bearings with out leading zeros.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

Re: Leading zeros
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:47:29 PM »
I can hold my nose and get by without them, but ONLY in the interest of not exploding my labels and losing their associativity.  I think the bearing label is not only difficult to read without them, they look unprofessional as well.  It is also difficult to remember to abandon old habits when writing a description to leave the zeros out so the drawing properly matches the description.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:55:25 PM »
Leading zeros are in the Legal Descriptions, and should be on the map.
I drink beer and I know things....

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
seems they even force them on you in alignments as well, the no leading zeroes that is....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
What's wrong with all you people? 9 votes, and 9 people say they want to be able to include leading zeros.

Autodesk says just get used to it the way it is.  How come we have 9 out of 9 people who don't want to do what Autodesk says we should be doing?  Get with it, people.  Do you really think you know this industry better than the professional software developers at Autodesk?

:-D  :-D  :-D

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
Unfortunately AutoDesk has the same attitude with several labeling and style issues, and when someone posts a question or comment in hopes that the issue has affected and been solved by someone else, they are labeled as "barking dogs" and purveyors of "FUD".

sinc

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:04 PM »
You mean like a certain trainer we both know, who was ignored by Autodesk three or more years ago when he informed them of several key design deficiencies in C3D, and now that lots of time has passed and the problems are incredibly difficult to fix, the Autodesk DG is filled with posts by people complaining about the same issues?

:ugly:

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »
rrruffff! . . . yip

Cannon

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »
9 out of 9 out of 50 or 100K users doesn't exactly constitute a referendum. Sorry, but in all the firms I've dealt with, only about 1/10th consider that a big deal. Most get over it rather quickly considering the overall benefits, but some can't whether stubborn or requirements dictate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in 09, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't either. There are just too many holes that have more people clamoring.

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 10:30:38 PM »
9 out of 9 out of 50 or 100K users doesn't exactly constitute a referendum. Sorry, but in all the firms I've dealt with, only about 1/10th consider that a big deal. Most get over it rather quickly considering the overall benefits, but some can't whether stubborn or requirements dictate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in 09, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't either. There are just too many holes that have more people clamoring.
YELP ! . . . . whimper . . . whimper . . . whine

-- EDIT --

You know, it is really not THAT trivial a deal.  I would suggest that when deciding whether or not this is worthy of their divine intervention in some future release, AutoDesk consider the legal requirements that the annotation placed on the survey document, plat or easement MUST match the verbiage in the written description of said exhibit and that existing description language be used for adjoining boundary courses.

There is also very fundamental reasoning beyond aesthetics for using leading zeros.  Being not only human, but a poor one for typing at that,  I have made numerous omissions of one number of a pair when describing an angle.  By using the leading zero I am assured if there be only one digit in the pair I have made one more such mistake, but without that convention I need to examine much closer to see whether or not my typing was true for a change.  Being thus aware of my own shortcomings, if I see the same lonely character on someone else's work where most often there are two, I wonder if they might suffer the same typing deficiency as I.

Bottom line is there is ample reason to be skeptical of any document or description NOT displaying leading zeros and by making it impossible to do this within Civil 3D, Autodesk is giving us the choice of holding our nose and exploding the work outside of the program thus losing any future benefits of using the program in that drawing, or producing work that could appear to be in error if not out of compliance with accepted legal requirements.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 11:43:36 PM by DinØsaur »

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
9 out of 9 out of 50 or 100K users doesn't exactly constitute a referendum.
Indeed not but you have to admit it's an interesting number considering how many members we have here that use C3D.

Sorry, but in all the firms I've dealt with, only about 1/10th consider that a big deal. Most get over it rather quickly considering the overall benefits, but some can't whether stubborn or requirements dictate.
As I see it that's the whole problem right there, we want the software to work the way we do not vice-versa.

LE

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 11:43:32 AM »
OK... I will leave my comment for a short time, if I may...  :roll:

I am working in porting several commands and modules of a commercial product named civilcad by arqcom software, that it is use in latin america and it is being sold more than c3d or any of the ldt ones... autodesk came to this software company and ask them to why they did not adapt with their c3d api the civilcad modules.... the reason no one wants to buy their package, first it is very expensive, and primarily it is not designed for the latin market and very hard to customize and also, to many jumps to do or complete a task.

At the end, the intention of using the c3d api for all the civilcad modules was almost impossible, so that end up there, without doing the port....

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 12:53:31 PM »
Yes, a good portion of our work is boundary surveys and plats. I too feel it does appear unprofessional and would like to see at least the option to include the leading zeros.

Dinosaur

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
9 out of 9 out of 50 or 100K users doesn't exactly constitute a referendum.
Indeed not but you have to admit it's an interesting number considering how many members we have here that use C3D.
I am just crushed at our perceived insignificance  :cry: . . . I feel like such a zit on the BE-hind of the Civil 3D user community.  :|
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:57:43 PM by DinØsaur »

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
I am working in porting several commands and modules of a commercial product named civilcad by arqcom software ...
Porting them to what Luis?