Author Topic: What's the difference between OpenDCL and ObjectDCL?  (Read 28501 times)

CADaver

Re: What's the difference between OpenDCL and ObjectDCL?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 11:33:09 PM »
As long there is a remove option for my own posts, and if I consider that my answers are not needed or when I by mistake make an opinion that would not lead to anything or are totally wrong, then I will remove my posts, if I by doing that, makes any of the members unhappy, please accept my apologies, I have a lot of respect to you Kerry never had any intention to make you mad or pissed, please excuse me.
Yo, chopped liver here.  While you may have that opinion of your post, removing it renders subsequent replies nonsensical, especially if a reply did not quote your post.  In this case BrazzaCAD is left agreeing with "someone" about a point that doesn't exist.  Had Kerry not quoted your post, I'd be left wondering what Brazza was smoking.  Edit the post if you must, but in consideration for those replying to and reading the thread next year, resist deleting it, please.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 07:25:20 AM »
I do agree with you C# is the way to go.

I remember way back when ACAD2000 was launched:  The autodesk reseller at the time was warning us that lisp would not be supported in the next release and that he, for a fee, could convert our lisp routines over to VBA - which of course would be around forever . . ..

James Buzbee
Windows 8

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 08:02:58 AM »
I do agree with you C# is the way to go.

I remember way back when ACAD2000 was launched:  The autodesk reseller at the time was warning us that lisp would not be supported in the next release and that he, for a fee, could convert our lisp routines over to VBA - which of course would be around forever . . ..

Isn't it ironic that we are now seeing the beginning of the end of VBA, and AutoLISP still has no end in sight?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »
Chuck,
Ironic IS the word.
I recall being lambasted by certain people for daring to say I'd stick with lisp.
... and then there was "oh no, dont bother with ADO "

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 08:38:55 PM »
Luis, lets turn this around for a second.

You are learning c++ and ObjectARX. Imagine you were programming for a living and someone came along and told all your customers not to trust your product because you were doing it for the money and that your product depended on you. 
... and that their continued use of the product was questionable because you couldn't be trusted to upgrade it.

How would that make you feel ?
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »
OpenDCL is free and ObjectDCL is not, correct?  How are the two different (besides names and $$)?

Nothing aside from the people involved, the driving philosophy, and the product longevity.

:)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

LibertyOne

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
I still don't feel that the original question which started this thread was answered. I would also like to know what the differences are. Could someone create a comparison chart on options and useability instead of taking sides and fighting like two kids in the sandbox.

Both programs enable to do more than standard DCL, but what are these features and which program allows the user to implement them easier? What about speed?

If someone could give a bipartisan answer, I (and probably the rest of us here) would be forever grateful.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »

LibertyOne,

Have you tried either product ??

Perhaps you would be the best one to do the comparison chart ... If you meet the criteria you set.
I look forward to your evaluation.

Welcome to theSwamp.

LibertyOne

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »

Have you tried either product ??
Before I get to this point and try either product, I would like to have a bipartisan comparison of each to see what they are capable of doing. My decision wouldn't be made at this point, but it would give a clear overview as to whether or not one of these products is suitable for my needs. (Or if it's overkill, and regular DCL suits the purpose.)

I was on both websites of each product looking for information:

ObjectDCL
Here I found and downloaded for further reading the PDF "ObjectDCL Ver2 Beginners Manual".
I skimmed through this document last night and found that it gives a good description of the setup, how it works, list of controls, etc. I'll be reading this further in depth today.

OpenDCL
Here I found the beginners tutorial which I will first read through before starting the tutorial. I found a lot of screen shots, which also show what the program is capable of achieving. I also downloaded the latest version of OpenDCL, 7.0.0.2, which I will first install when I am ready to do an evaluation.

Perhaps you would be the best one to do the comparison chart ... If you meet the criteria you set.
I look forward to your evaluation.
Not necessarily, the criteria I set may not be the same of which others set.
Anyone could make a comparison chart. It would just give an overview of features and possibilities that can be achieved with the products over normal DCL.
I'll see what my research can find and I'll try to document it.