Author Topic: Beating a dead horse to death..............again  (Read 1037 times)

Fish

Beating a dead horse to death..............again
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:56 PM »
Salutations everyone, its been awhile since I've posted and would like to bend your ears for a moment.  In my grand scheme I was trying to switch our company over to 3D modeling.  We physically count all our pieces and parts right now but with 3D I was trying to implement attributes with the eattext command to generate a bom and in my trial runs it worked great.  Mind you, I made all our fasteners in 3D, spent alot of time researching yada yada yada.  Made a macro in Access to upload the bom from AutoCad.  Pulled specs for a new computer to handle 3D.  They loved it, thought it was great :-).  And now the rest of the story..............

No new computer was bought, at least to the specs I stated was needed for 3D.  Now they want me to try it with our crappy business computers................ah not gunta work!  Sour grapes....yep :-(.

I do have a question believe it or not.  How about still using attributes in 2D with the eattext command?  What are you guys doing for any bom generation?

Thoughts, suggestions, thanks............

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Beating a dead horse to death..............again
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:42:06 PM »
It still works just like 3d, you just have to make all the 2d blocks to extract from
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

CottageCGirl

Re: Beating a dead horse to death..............again
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:48:07 PM »
we use 2D and extract it, but use ATTEXT..is that the same...but different?  It works fine, we just edit it with "comma deleted format"  I know how to do that, but am not sure how it works or why we do it that way, I usually extract 500-900 blocks of info into a .txt file