Author Topic: Dynamic Block Help  (Read 14384 times)

Dynamic Block Help
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:02:26 AM »
I've been playing around with dynamic blocks lately and I can't seem to get a grip on stretching/rotating attributes.

I would like to be able to do something like the image below.  I've got a grip on the polar stretch for the arrow, but I can't get the attribute to maintain the same angle of the line.  I don't know what get's linked to what, and what is chained or not chained, etc...  Can somebody throw me a hint?  Thanks!

Kate M

Re: Dynamic Block Help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »
It would help to know what behavior you're getting. Are the positions of the attributes locked?

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:58:28 PM »
Do they need to be?  See, this is the kind of stuff that I don't know about.  I've seen a couple of tutorial videos, but none that address attributes.  I'm able to create a leader that I can stretch and rotate, but I don't know how to go about adding the attributes to the mix (and keeping them aligned to the leader).

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 02:22:04 PM »
matt this example is not an exactly what you are doing but it does involve stretching rotating and attributes so it might be helpful. check it out

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=dan/&file=DYNAMIC%20SECTION%20TITLE.dwg

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
That's pretty close to what I want to do.  Now all I have to do is disect it to find out what goes where.

Hmmmm......

whdjr

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:20:07 PM »
Post your block so we can disect it and give you better feedback.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »
I'm going to try re-working it based on some of the things I saw in Eloquintet's DB.  I'll post it a little bit later.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
Okay... so here's what I've got so far.  The attribute follows the leader, but it doesn't maintain the rotation.  What other paramater(s) do I need to add (and what actions as well)?

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »
Getting closer, but still so very far away.

FengK

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:38:55 AM »
Matt, i don't have 2007 version and could not open your drawings.  Maybe you can save it down to 2004/2006? For what you want to achieve, I think you only need one polar stretch, and one flip (to avoid attribute being upside down). And as mentioned above, attribute position should be locked.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
yeah i don't have 2007 either so couldn't review it but i hope you figured it out. the trick for me to get the rotate and stretch to work was that the parameter but not the lightning bolt symbol need to be included in the selection set of each respective parameter, does that make sense?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »
yeah i don't have 2007 either so couldn't review it but i hope you figured it out. the trick for me to get the rotate and stretch to work was that the parameter but not the lightning bolt symbol need to be included in the selection set of each respective parameter, does that make sense?

I open it and played with it.  The attribute rotates but is not parallel with the leader.  also the leader head is not rotating.  It doesn't look like your screen shot so I am not sure if you changed your goal or still trying to get there. 

I know very little of DBs.  I can do simple stretches,  alignments and whatnot but that is about as far as it goes.  When it comes to DBs, I go to the AUGI AutoCAD Dynamic Blocks for information.  They have guys over there that are in the doing the "one-up-manship" game by posting blocks.  Some pretty crazy wild stuff is available for downloading.  I tried to search for leaders and attributes but could not find anything.  You might want to post over there and see if someone can help you out.  There is also white papers and videos posted also. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

whdjr

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 11:48:35 AM »
Matt,

Based on your last posted block all you need to do is remove the 'stretch' action from the 'rotate' action and everything will work great.

The Golden Rule with Dynamic Blocks - About 95% of the time you don't want to include actions within other actions selection sets.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 11:57:44 AM »
The Golden Rule with Dynamic Blocks - About 95% of the time you don't want to include actions within other actions selection sets.
[grasshopper's voice]
Yes Master, I see the error of my ways.
[/grasshopper's voice]
 :-)
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
Based on your last posted block all you need to do is remove the 'stretch' action from the 'rotate' action and everything will work great.

Suuu-WEEEEEET!!!

Thank YOU!