Author Topic: 2007 printing (sorry if this is a repeat)  (Read 1998 times)

Binky

2007 printing (sorry if this is a repeat)
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:47:15 PM »
I tried to search the forum before I posted this but the search didn't work.

I am testing 2007 for our department before we roll it out.  got the menus and such all sorted out, then I hit a printing snag.  Our titleblocks are set to 30x42, meaning that we have points placed in the corners at 42x30 to keep the prints centered and page setups set to plot to extents, centered on the page.  And before anyone asks, yes that is the printable area for our printers (at least what the driver reports as printable area).  This arrangement has had zero issues with 2004 or 2005.  2007 does not like this though.  It is showing negative values in the centering offset boxes when extents is checked and different values when I select a window using the points.  I checked this on a new drawing, simply drew a rectangle 42x30 and the same thing happened, negative 0.0001812 (and a different value for the y direction) when printing to extents and 0.0 when printing to a window using the corners of the rectangle.  Not sure I can see why.

Is there a setting or something that I am not seeing somewhere?

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: 2007 printing (sorry if this is a repeat)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:47:12 PM »
there is a setting for margin vs printing area somewhere.  I cant remember where though.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Binky

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
I spotted that in the 'plot and publish' tab of options.  It seems like the size of the points is somehow being taken into account. 

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:17:08 AM »
what kind of plotter?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Binky

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:53:55 PM »
The plotters are Oce' TDS9600 but we have a printing service here in the building and I am not sure if they have a modifed the drivers or not. 

pmvliet

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »
And before anyone asks, yes that is the printable area for our printers (at least what the driver reports as printable area).

Are you using the same PC3 file that you did with the earlier versions of Autocad?
Are you using a system printer?

Printing to extents will take into account the size of the point (node) as far as I am aware. If the points are on a non-plot layer I am not sure.

Are you new plots on 2007 actually printing different then a 2005 print? ie: are the borders not in the same place?

Pieter

Binky

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 06:13:33 PM »
Same pc3 file, Same titleblocks, same settings, Different results.  Due to the negative values in the centering the points are not part of the plt file sent to the printer which then tries to center what it did get and that does shift the things on the page.  2004 and 2005 both work just fine. 

pmvliet

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »
Hmmm... That's a little strange.
I normally love plotting type issues, but it is kind of hard to troubleshoot via the internet.

I'm not sure what I could do to help you...

Pieter

Binky

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
I am not without a solution, it just isn't the best one available and that is to move the points in on titleblocks, no problem for things going forward but having that extra step for open projects can be annoying.  I had do that when we went from the HP Designjets to the Oce'

I still have some time before the roll out to pound my head aginst it.

Thank you for taking the time though.

pmvliet

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 01:03:33 AM »
What happens if you print to "layout"

Just thinking...