Author Topic: Which Is better....  (Read 3962 times)

hudster

• Gator
Which Is better....
« on: April 13, 2004, 04:41:12 PM »
Speed or Accuracy when drawing?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

t-bear

Which Is better....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 05:01:21 PM »
Accuracy.  If it ain't right, it just don't matter HOW fast you are. It's gonna reach out and bite you sooner or later.

(Course I've worked for outfits that didn't give a .....
 PAST TENSE)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Which Is better....
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 05:05:20 PM »
"THERE IS NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT,
BUT THERE IS ALWAYS TIME TO FIX IT."
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

hyposmurf

Which Is better....
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 05:24:04 PM »
I'd say accuracy but alot the time if you knock the drawings out quickly they'll be checked/modified and then the final draft can done.Depends how much inaccuracy you can get away with,till someone says this bloke may be knocking them out quick but their crap.Could look at the other extreme,the draughtsman spends so much time checking over his work  at such a slow pace that no one gets to check to them.Also if your self employed and never make mistakes then youll be charging for less hours.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Which Is better....
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 05:53:39 PM »
I am a fanatic for accuracy.... if the thing you are drawing is not drawn right then how can you possibly build it right? Remember, taking an extraordinary amount of time to draw something may be wrong, but if you are always in the process of drawing for accuracy, then you will always finish above those who draw for speed.

I feel like I am probably the fastest drafter in my company, and while I do take 30% longer on the client's preliminary drawings, (about 8 hours for a 2 story house with 4 elevations) I can complete an entire set of construction drawings ready to build for the same structure in less than 3 days (24 billable hours) This is for a complete custom home  with all required details. Of course there are always clarifications in the field but if you start with smething that is accurate, you will end up with something that is accurate as well, provided the plans are followed.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Dent Cermak

Which Is better....
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »
We usually end up letting our "speedy" drafters go. Anyone with a "That's close enough" attitude doesn't have a future with our firm because I weed them out. See, I'm the poor phart that has to correct the speedy drawings. I'll correct 2 of your masterpieces. Third one, I go to Big Boss Man and tell him he's got to make a choice. I have too many clients that insist that I do their work to worry about him making the wrong choice.
Speed does not equal profits. Usually costs more to fix the sumnitch! In mu field, if you are always spending time to fix it, you soon find that you have LOTS of time BECAUSE your clients have all gone to someone who can do it right the first time. THERE'S ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. That's what a professional does.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Which Is better....
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 08:56:10 PM »
I wonder who voted for speed? Drafting in my book is about professionalism. If you are fast, but don't have accurate drawings, what is the point?

Trev

Which Is better....
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 09:18:52 PM »
Accuracy by a long shot.
As speed maybe ok today but you have to fix it tommorrow and then again the day after and again the day after. Therefore taking longer than doing it properly in the first place.

Ask an engineer/project manager etc. then they want speed, speed, speed who cares if it's correct just get the drawing out, we'll fix it later either on site or a drawing fix later. They try to save money on the small things yet waste a s#|t load in the big picture. When will they learn?????????

TR

Which Is better....
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 11:14:45 PM »
There's no checkbox for both  :) .

Dent Cermak

Which Is better....
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 12:04:06 AM »
Doesn't need to be. The accurate approach IS the fastest way.

hendie

Which Is better....
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 03:51:10 AM »
it's gotta be accuracy... otherwise, what's the point ?

hudster

• Gator
Which Is better....
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 04:48:05 AM »
I asked this question because my boss was moaning that my drawings were taking longer than the rest of the CAD department, but when I pointed out that 95% of the time my drawings don't have to be changed due to mistakes, consequently saving on resources due to re-plotting etc, he quickly changed his mind.

I'm like Keith, I am fanatical about accuracy, probably a little too fanatical though.  I even draw my leaders to the nearest 500mm, 497mm is not good enough.

Its gotten such a way that the engineers in my office have started issuing my drawings without checking them, which pisses me off, but they trust my draughting to be accurate.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Which Is better....
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 09:15:27 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
...Its gotten such a way that the engineers in my office have started issuing my drawings without checking them....

I have the same thing here... only 10% of my drawings are ever checked for accuracy, which I admit sometimes bites me in the ass... but overall I have a pretty darn good track record...

Kate M

Which Is better....
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 09:22:49 AM »
Accuracy, hands down. It goes along with all that "measure twice, cut once" stuff. That and the fact that it sometimes takes a lot of time just to figure out what's wrong before you can even start fixing it.

CADaver

Which Is better....
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 09:45:27 AM »
Sign above my desk:

PICK ANY TWO, BUT ONLY TWO
1.)  ACCURATE
2.)  FAST
3.)  CHEAP

You can have it fast and accurate, but that ain't cheap
 or
You can have it fast and cheap, but accuracy is a guess
 or
You can have it accurate and cheap, you just need to find something to do while you wait.