Author Topic: VBA Class?  (Read 11898 times)

DaveW

Re: VBA Class?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 11:06:59 PM »
Thanks Kerry, I appreicate that.

I totally agree with you. Hench how I pointed out he now teaches. :)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 07:16:31 AM »
Well I am going to start with some simple thing and if I get stuck Yoo guys will be the first to know  :-D

See you soon.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
... Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. ...

No personal acrimony intended Dave.
None taken at all,  besides, you have taught me more than I have taught so its all good.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

nivuahc

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 11:34:49 AM »
... Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. ...

I know that expression is commonly quoted, but it contradicts my experience. The axiom that those who teach are incompetent in a practical matters is erroneous and insulting.

No personal acrimony intended Dave.

See, I don't look at that quote in the same way. I've always looked at it as a way to explain the passion involved in being really good at any one thing. Take music as an example. It's something that you've got to love to be really good at. If you can make your living playing music, you will. If you can't (for whatever reason) your love for music will compel you to share it, usually by teaching.

I've never looked at it as a measure of incompetence. My music analogy above comes from personal experience. My inability to make music my living has nothing to do with incompetence as much as it has to do with me not wanting or being able to spoil something I love so much by putting a price tag on it. I happen to be quite a well versed musician who can play more instruments than any other person I know. I can write music quite well. I can sing better than average. I can spout off music theory in my sleep. But I refuse to make a living doing it because doing so would cheapen it for me. I spent several years as a music instructor but even that was painful because I wasn't comfortable accepting money for what I was doing. I'll gladly teach someone who is willing to learn, provided they take it seriously, and provided they not pay me. Both of my boys are exposed to a variety of music and musical training (although they don't quite know it) because it's something that I love so much, I cannot NOT teach them to appreciate it as well.

I haven't played music in years because all of my attempts to do so always brought my worst fears to fruition. What started out as a few people getting together to just play music because they enjoyed playing music always managed to turn itself into one or more of those people wanting to go out and make money doing it. And the last couple of bands I've been in were with a relative who I happened to be very close to... and it was him that took those bands in that direction and ruined the experience for me. Every time I try to play music now, it's very painful for me because it brings back so many memories... some good, most bad.

The love and passion for music that I've always had still lives within me and I share it with the people I care about, but I share it in a way I am able to. And that way isn't making a living doing it, it's teaching my children and friends to really appreciate good music and recognise crap when they hear it.  :-)

Sorry for the hijack, that saying and the reaction to it struck a nerve I guess.  :oops:

Kerry, you happen to be extremely good at what you do. You don't need me to tell you that. If, for some reason you were unable to make your living doing it (for instance, let's say that, as good a programmer as you are, you were an even better chef and being a chef paid the bills) I can't imagine you abandoning something that you've obviously sunk so much of your blood sweat and tears into. I can't imagine you being able to not share your knowledge with everyone, just like you already do. And if that's a measure of incompetence, it's flawed. Seriously flawed.

Dinosaur

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2006, 11:19:40 AM »
Well, I would like to try the class even I get left behind at some point.  The trouble is, I can  read the threads in the forum, but I can't post anything.