Author Topic: C3D2007 and Reports  (Read 4017 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
C3D2007 and Reports
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »
So after trying to get a simple Parcel report out, comprised of exactly ONE parcel, for the past 2 hours I'm crying UNCLE! None of the reports I tried look anything like I want/need them to. HELP should be renamed to USELESS. What the heck? Now I gotta learn XML & XSL to be able to get a decent output of inverses or Legal descriptions? The stock Legal description looks OK, except it outputs in metric and there isn't one Agency around here that accepts metric units.

It took an hour to figure out where all of the Report styles are stored.....and once found I have no idea how to read/modify them.  :pissed:

Can someone point me in a direction that doesn't lead to a cliff?

Thanks.....oh, and I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow so whatever I learn between now & then will probably be lost before I return  :|

Dinosaur

Re: C3D2007 and Reports
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
I don't have 2007 available here, but I don't think you have gone deep enough into the settings for these reports.  2006 has an extensive settings tab that includes several options for items such as type of phrasing, units, precision, etc. for at least the survey certificate forms and description forms.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Stephen. But no matter where I've looked, I cannot find anywhere to set these settings.

Still searching and digging......

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 06:35:25 PM »
Have you right clicked on a description or survey report to display its properties?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:46:26 PM »
Well, I go TS->Toolbox which shows Report Manager, right clicking any rport only shows 2 options...Execute & Refresh. Selecting the button at the top of the Tab which shows a Tooltip of "Press this button to Edit Toolbox Content" place a number of properties into a Panorama, but no pertinent properties. See attached PNG.

I've still got 2006 installed. If you could point me to the settings you speak of there, maybe I can translate it to 2007.

Pic too big...downsizing
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:48:46 PM by Jeff_M »

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:06:58 PM »
From there in 2006, I just execute the report, select the parcel again and a box appears where you can set up your report.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »
From there in 2006, I just execute the report, select the parcel again and a box appears where you can set up your report.
Hmmm, when I execute, a box comes up with all Reportable items checked so I select the Parcel, from here I get varying results.....

With Firefox as my default browser I get an html file showing the output with some kine of program bar along the side asking for POB information. It has a 'Click here to minimize' area, but clicking does nothing.

So I think that since Acad isn't FF friendly I'd set my default back to IE. With this, after selecting my parcel again, it goes straight to the html page again, but this time the prgram bar WILL minimize....however there is NO text showing. I never get a dialog that you show which appears to be exactly what I need......

Off to R2006 to test there, I'll let you know what I find, or don't find.

Thanks again!

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 08:13:17 PM »
Holy Carp! Looks like 2007 skips right over that cute little dialog with all the cool little settings :| 2006 appears to do what I expected. Restarted 2007, retraced EXACT steps I took in 2006, same story as what started this thread. Looks like something is broke.

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 08:23:35 PM »
I will dig into 2007 tomorrow.  They likely moved it somewhere to work better with that report manager.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »
So, this is what I see in 2007 immediately after selecting the Parcel to report....using Firefox as my default browser.

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 08:39:45 PM »
They just HAD to FIX something, didn't they?   :realmad:

Jason Hickey

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 10:18:37 PM »
Jeff,

Instead of using the reports that are included inside the Toolbox, try going to the external LandXML reporting standalone program.    This has several settings tabs that will allow you to edit the verbiage and other things that you need to.    The best thing is that if you set them here and get them looking the way you want, the settings will hold and now work correctly (as you set it up) in the reports toolbox.

Let me know if this needs further explanation.

Dinosaur

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
I found that using the 2006 XML reporting program this way also brings in the same settings box I found earlier.  The down side of it is with no data file for it to analyze there is no way to see the result in the report tab, so the unaware has to back out and find a data file to load to work up the settings.  I guess eventually everyone will remember to do that first <shrug>.  Do you have any ideas why this behavior may have been changed . . . or what real use there is for the canned reports now?

Strike most of that . . . I see what they have done and Jason's advice seems to be the best.  What I would like to know now is if there is an easy way to get a report for only 1 or 2 things without deslecting everything else?  If I am just blind and there IS an easy way this tool looks petty OK, if not . . .  :-P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:26:30 AM by DinØsaur »

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 03:59:36 PM »
Let me know if this needs further explanation.
Thanks, Jason. I think I may need more guidance. I was able to LandXML out my parcel, open it in the external reporting tool, adjusted a number of settings which I believed influenced the report output and....yes, I get a neat looking report; hmmm, but the settings I set do not appear to be doing anything for the report. I change some settings and, yep the report still looks the same.

The old TXT files that LDT output are far easier to customize than this.....

Stephen, I found that LandXMLout by right-clicking the Parcel in the ToolSpace selects that parcel, and ONLY that parcel, so no deselecting is needed.