Author Topic: Locked... and potentially loaded...  (Read 1950 times)

Bealerusa

Locked... and potentially loaded...
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »
AAARRRGGggghhh!  Alright, where to start?  Having recently upgraded to ACAD-07 from LT 97 (Yeah, I know, BIG Jump)  Whenever I open a legacy file and work with that file, I find myself locked up when I attempt to modify text or add new text to a file.  If I copy/paste into a new file- no problems.  If I only had a few to do, I wouldn't be squealing as much as I am, however, I am looking at 750+ individual files that will need to be modified.  Is I is or Is I not doing something wrong?  Looking for opinions on whether or not to actually load the magazine...  Background: 2-d line drawings(ie: spec sheets for Moulder Operators) typically less than 1 meg.  Some 3-d explosions showing application data.  I am truly hoping that I have a setting wrong or something along that line.  Thoughts?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Locked... and potentially loaded...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:40:16 AM »
Example file perhaps? I don't have '07 loaded but there are a few here that do.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Lin-Z

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:47:17 AM »
Not quite sure on this one so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you look at the properties of existing text from LT 97 is it just plain TEXT?  If so try using the Express Tool to convert TEXT to MTEXT (TXT2MTXT) before editing.  Didi you save the file as a 2007 before making edits?

Bob Wahr

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »
is it actually locking up or just hanging for a long time?

Bealerusa

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 01:59:31 PM »
Locking, as far as I can tell.  Requires C/A/D to task mgr and shows as 'not respdng'.  When 7 restarts, the file comes up as 'program unexpect. failed, rename/save to salvage your data...'  I guess I haven't let it sit long enough to know for sure if it is hanging.  Usually at the pace I move, 5 min. might as well be forever.  Thanks, Bob.  Lin-Z, I don't know for sure what the props of the LT97 text is. I will have to look.  I have not tried opening a file and then saving immed. to 7, then making edits.  I do know that if I open a file in 7, make changes, save, close and then try to re-open with -06 it won't let me.  It says something about blah, blah wrong file type.  I will give both methods a shot later on today or tomorrow they way the afternoon is shaping up.  Mr. Thomas,  I should very much like to give an example file to play with.  When I figure out how to, I will.  I had anticipated being able to follow along with this thread in real time and try to answer any questions as they came up.  It isn't working out that way. Must have something to do with the number of hats I have perched on my pointy little head. I have been a tadpole in the muck for a little while and the willingness I have seen displayed here to help out whoever comes stumbling dazedly out of sun.  Thanks to all!  Just got thinking about my ControlAltDelete reference and how it must be an old joke around here - ah never mind....

Lin-Z

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:02:13 PM »
Quick note on the opening in 06 problem - 2007 saves as 2007 drawing format.  2006, 2005, and 2004 save as 2004 drawing format.  To open backwards you need to save the file as the 2004 format before AC 06 will even let you look at it.

Bealerusa

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:42:30 PM »
Duly noted with the appropriate Duh factor applied.  I have the need to save as DXF and saw the backwards file extensions, just never put 2 and 2 together.  Time well spent in the swamp today.

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:06:04 AM »

Bealerusa

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
Thanks CADaver, as usual, many ways to get where you're going. -Bealerusa