Author Topic: Flattening drawings.  (Read 50906 times)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: SuperFlatten
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2007, 10:30:56 AM »
What kind of "other" drawings do you do?  We've seen your pipe layouts.
From those models (or rather the xref's they represent) all the Piping, Structural, Building, Mechanical, Electrical and Instrumentation drawings are extracted.

I mean completely different type of projects.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Re: Flattening drawings.
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »
[Jenny Gump voice]
God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away
[/Jenny Gump Voice]
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

M-dub

« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »
[Jenny Gump voice]
[/Jenny Gump Voice]
:lmao:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »
[Jenny Gump voice]
[/Jenny Gump Voice]

Maybe we should all go for a run.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2007, 10:52:14 AM »
It happens
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »

M-dub

« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2007, 10:53:58 AM »

« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
It happens

Runs happen?
'nother Forest Gump reference?

Kind of a "loose" Gump reference, but a Gump reference nontheless.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2007, 10:59:52 AM »
It happens

Runs happen?
'nother Forest Gump reference?

Kind of a "loose" Gump reference, but a Gump reference nontheless.

If it's that loose, maybe you should be eating more cheese.

CADaver

« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
To create a Stack-Up of 2D files for a six bay by twelve bay structure with nine mechanical levels is a feat I'd like to see.

How did they used to do it before 3D??  Guesstimate
A LOT more work because the files were LESS usable.

The same way you check any 3D model, you check it.

So your machining is deadly accurate?  I'm sure if that were the case there would be many manufacturers banging down your door.
How do you get your tolerancing and datum structure for checking?  Doesn't that come from the 2D??
Our models are deadly accurate, our machining is within tolerances which are noted in the spec.  Keep in mind that I did NOT say that 2D was useless.

Oh?  Even out local hardware store uses a 3D modeling tool to design kitchens and bathrooms with customers, right in the middle of the store (there's the MORE useful part). Then drawings are extracted from the models with complete parts lists and installation instructions for the DIY'er. 

Isn't that 2D??  So they are building from 2D, yeah? Also the 3D viewing is for Joe Consumer to get a visual of what his kitchen will APPROXIMATLEY look like. (note: not accurately)
Keep in mind I did NOT say that 2D was useless, just that 3D was MORE usable, just as this case points out.  The 3D model was much MORE usable showing the client what his kitchen looked like than 2D drawings would have ever been.

We have several stations in out shops for viewing the models during fabrications and several more on-site during construction.  It is the norm in our business.  Seems it would be a lot easier to accomplish for the average architect.

I don't know many Archs that do routine site visits unless there is an issue. ( I don't think they like to get dirty  :-D )  They do the design and let the GC do the building.  In the last 3 years I have yet to see a GC with AutoCAD in the field.
That will change as the work force changes, as it has done in many other fields.  My father in law was a machinists, his hands were permanently blackened by oil, grit, scale and steel.  My younger cousin is a machinists, and works in a white shirt, his hands are never dirty.

Not at all.  I have some parts (so do many machinists) that are cut directly from the model without EVER existing on a 2D drawing.

So have I but with out the tolerancing or means to accurately check them,getting them to preform with other parts is a problem.
We have that data, why don't you?

My drawings are of the 3D model if you flatten the model, the steel that used to reside in the view slice at elevation is now at zero and my plan viewport is empty (all my plan viewports are empty), the steel in the elevation of column line A now appears to be a single line at the bottom of the screen as it does in all the other elevation views.  Others have used similar routines to do just that.

But is the plan view still accurate??
Not anymore, all nine levels of the structure now interfere with each other at elevation zero.

If you flatten a dwg to the plan view, does it make the plan view any less accurate than the 3D plan view?  If I took the 3D plan view and printed it to 2D paper.  I then flattened the 3D to the plan view and printed it to 2D paper, would they not be the same?
The plan view of the 3D model at Top/Steel Elevation 109'-0 will show only the framing at that level, as will the plans at TOS 112', 122', 126', 136' and so on.  Once flatten all the steel will be at the same level (zero) and all running into one another.  As I said, it will destroy the file.

And that is my point about the supplied sample.

So you would agree that an accurate 3D flattened to plan view would produce and accurate 2D plan??
[/quote]No I don't, never have.  It may in some cases for some users, in our case it would be disastrous.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:16:22 PM by CADaver »

CADaver

« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
[Jenny Gump voice]
[/Jenny Gump Voice]
Your fingers, your keyboard, you don't HAVE to click on the topic.

CADaver

« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
What kind of "other" drawings do you do?  We've seen your pipe layouts.
From those models (or rather the xref's they represent) all the Piping, Structural, Building, Mechanical, Electrical and Instrumentation drawings are extracted.

I mean completely different type of projects.
Most of our project are along the lines of some of those you've seen me post; major petro-chem projects, in the $200M-$1.8B range.  We have in the past also executed several other types of 3D projects from commercial building, highway, pulp/paper, power generation/transmission.

SDETERS

« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2007, 12:20:57 PM »
I am just wondering how in the heck do you come up with the tolerances over that huge of an area.  Like big petro chem plants and stuff have so many parts and components.  Also how do you know when they build the plant that the workers are even paying attention to the model and or 2D drawing?  I have done some home construction in the past and had a footing off a good two feet or so.  We had to come up with a way of dealing with issues like that. 

I am being more curious than anyting.  Thanks

Josh Nieman

« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2007, 12:21:17 PM »
Just one question I may regret asking, but I'm well aware that 3D drawings are much more usable than 2D and accept the fact; heck I live it.

What if you're in the situation where you're doing simple site plans, and your CAD tech's don't know how to manipulate or use a 3D drawing.  There'd be no return on the investment to train them in the use of 3D oriented commands.  They don't need to know the use of UCS manipulation, setting different views, clipping planes, and all that jazz.  They just need to take your model and slap it on the site plan.  Maybe it's just for a drainage analysis... whatever...

What's wrong with taking your model, flattening it, cleaning it up a bit, and pushin' out the drawing.  I haven't come into contact with a dirt guy that we work with that would know what to do with my models... I send him a 2D drawing, generally containing 3 layers.  Roof, Foundation, Exterior Walls.  That's all they need, and heck, probably less than that.

There are situations where people don't know how to use a 3D drawing, and that does not make them any less successful of a CAD tech or designer or engineer than anyone else.

This LSP routine has as valid a place in someone's arsenal of tools as any routines in yours.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »
Most of our project are along the lines of some of those you've seen me post; major petro-chem projects, in the $200M-$1.8B range.  We have in the past also executed several other types of 3D projects from commercial building, highway, pulp/paper, power generation/transmission.

Interesting...

You say "We" as in your company.

What kind of projects have "You" worked on?