Author Topic: Flattening drawings.  (Read 49848 times)

CADaver

Flattening drawings.
« on: August 11, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »
sorry Joe,...
Someone goes to all the trouble of adding the intelligence of the third dimension, and someone writes a function to kill it.  Why not explode the Dim's while you're at it?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:03:47 AM by Mark Thomas »

M-dub

SuperFlatten
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 08:16:06 AM »
While I half agree with Cadaver, I also know that I've worked on some drawings where bits and pieces were all over the place.  Just plain wrong.  This would be perfect for those ones, but as Randy mentioned, it would / could be a shame to blast away all of the work done in a drawing that was properly done in 3D.
Thanks for posting!  :)

Joe Burke

SuperFlatten
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »
Why? Because I need a file like the attached example to be flat when I use it as an xref.

Look at it from front view. I think you'll see what I mean.

Regards

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
SuperFlatten
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:49:13 AM »
This is going to be long show.   :lol:
*** Runs out to get 5gal bucket of popcorn and a 2 gal big gulp ***
 :-) :-)
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

CaddmannQ

SuperFlatten
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
sorry Joe,...
Someone goes to all the trouble of adding the intelligence of the third dimension, and someone writes a function to kill it.  Why not explode the Dim's while you're at it?

Dude, why not ease up on the misanthrope act?  :-o

You CERTAINLY realize that adding 3D does NOT equal adding intelligence. We have flattened many client drawings where the 3D was unintended and undetected by the original user, and constituted nothing more than the random blitherings of an ill-configured 3D program being used for 2D or just plain used incorrectly.

I realise that being old and wise gives one the right to be cranky, but please avoid exasperating the young and ambitious just for sport. Particularly in cases like this where it also calls your wisdom into question.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:00:55 AM by CaddmannQ »

CaddmannQ

SuperFlatten
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 11:01:55 AM »

(Pssst! Get the one with free refills.)

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
SuperFlatten
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 11:53:12 AM »
I definately need to flatten drawings at times.
And I think a 2d drawing is not too much to ask for, but it is becoming harder to get.
It's possibile to draw all the rebar in 3d. Fine, leave it in a special drawing but I definately don't need to be snapping to rebar or having a drawing so slow that is unusable.
How much intelligence do I need from the rebar, none. (Oh maybe we'll never need to x-ray again as the plan showed there would be no rebar right there.  :lmao:)

CADaver

SuperFlatten
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 10:12:03 PM »
Yes, I too have seen files like that.  A file so obviously corrupted calls into serious question the validity of any other information contained therein.  Relying on the accuracy of data from such a broken file is a poor bet.  As we are ultimately responsible for the integrity of our files, we choose not to use questionable information from questionable files, even if it cuts a few corners.

"Misanthrope"??  I fear you have either misunderstood the definition of the word or me.  Either way you couldn't be further from the truth.  (ditto "Cranky")  The poster asked for comments, I commented.  If such comments exasperate the young and ambitious, then they should probably avoid posting where such comments may occur.

The auto-detailing of reinforcing requires a high level of intelligence to be embedded in the 3D model.

<no butter on mine, thank you>

Joe Burke

SuperFlatten
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 07:24:17 AM »
All,

Given the example file I posted and select all, the ExpressTools flatten command (using 2008) fails after about 30 seconds with an error fixnump: nil. Front view shows little or nothing changed. SuperFlatten does the job correctly in 8 seconds on my machine. Assuming the Overkill option is not used.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
SuperFlatten
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 07:24:45 AM »
We run across this on old drawings (pre-adt). Were people use old drawings in ADT but have there elevation set to something weird, so when you are trying to add new content you realize that you not getting the correct snap point.  Go into to a ISO elevation and you see about 4 to 5 differant levels  :ugly: .   We also elevate our detail callout so  that when we hide the VP the area under the detail balloon masks the hatch below,  well sometime the VP get reset to As Displayed so when people plot them the detail callouts are not hidden so the first thing they do is raise them 12".  To make an ugly story short they may raise them 4-5 time before they think to check the VP properties and realize the VP wasn't set to hide well they never go back to fix the detail bubbles, which by this time are about 6' above the plan  :pissed: .

So anyway thanks Joe.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
SuperFlatten
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:38:54 AM »

I drink beer and I know things....

SuperFlatten
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »
"Misanthrope"??  I fear you have either misunderstood the definition of the word or me.

* fires up Google.... *

* types in 'define:Misanthrope' *

Ummmm.... WOW!  That's harsh!

*psssst* I don't think he really meant that.

Definitions of Misanthrope on the Web:

• someone who dislikes people in general
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • Misanthropy is a general dislike of the human race. It is not dislike of individual human beings, but rather dislike of the features shared by all humanity throughout place and time, including oneself. A misanthrope is thus a person who exhibits a general dislike of humankind.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanthrope

CaddmannQ

SuperFlatten
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
<OK, I'm gonna get way O.T. here, but this is something that is stuck in my craw & needs to be coughed up.>

My apologies Randy, but when a guy spends a year working on a new program that fulfils a clear need, posts it here for us to all try, and then has you compare him and his work so unfavorably--well that got my dander up a bit.

Anyhow, I don't think you are a misanthrope, but just that I saw you as acting like one. Sometimes I'll do the same thing as a joke, but your comments didn't come off as any joke to me. Perhaps because in your business nothing less than 3D will do, you treated Joe like some Luddite trying to reinstate the Dark Ages.

There are lots of businesses where the overhead of 3D isn't wanted nor justified--at least not in its present incarnations, and certainly not in the form that most clients seem to be providing it to us. In our business, there is a liability in providing too much information. Anything we provide over and above that strictly required to constrain and deliniate the work represents a potential not only for undetected error but is potential ammo for the opposition in the event of a lawsuit. Incorrect or misconfigured 3D info that trickles down from a client or consultant drawing into our drawings is a total hazard, and we filter it out before passing anything down the line.

Remember that we're not engineering multi-billion dollar nuclear powerplants. Our business is mainly wood-framed and CMU school projects in the $2M~$50M range. Programs like Joe's (and no, I haven't tested it yet, but I will) are definately needed in my world. To see you denigrate his work on the open forum in such an off-hand manner...well, I simply couldn't let it pass unchallenged.

deegeecees

SuperFlatten
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
I feel like exploding some dimensions...

Josh Nieman

SuperFlatten
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »
I feel like exploding some dimensions...

I think I'm going to explode all my blocks and do a superpurge too.