Author Topic: C3D 2013 bug  (Read 13729 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
C3D 2013 bug
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »
I thought I would share this in case someone else runs into this bug. For a while I thought I was loosing my mind...
After some testing and conversaton with Autodesk tech support - we confirmed an interesting bug in C3D 2013.

In a dwg with a UCS other than World, after switching to a layout tab, then back to the model tab, the model space will zoom and sometimes change orientation. A PLAN - CURRENT will return it to normal, but it's very odd and annoying.

I love beta testing :)
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: C3D 2013 bug
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
In a dwg with a UCS other than World ...
Why do you have a UCS that isn't World? I've never had the need for changing the USC at all. :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »
Why do you have a UCS that isn't World? I've never had the need for changing the USC at all. :)

I usually have viewports that are rotated, so I usually set the UCS to match so my text and leaders align with the layout...
If anyone has a better way, I'm all ears (as long as it doesn't involve annotating in paper space...).
Thanks
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »

I usually have viewports that are rotated, so I usually set the UCS to match so my text and leaders align with the layout...
If anyone has a better way, I'm all ears (as long as it doesn't involve annotating in paper space...).
Thanks
dview twist....
maxvport

and if you are using C3D notes and labels they will automatically adjust to you view orientation(s)

we need to get you into class.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »

Thanks
dview twist....
maxvport

and if you are using C3D notes and labels they will automatically adjust to you view orientation(s)

we need to get you into class.....

Where would I find C3D notes? That sounds promising.
Currently, I use mainly mleaders...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
Settings Tab of the Prospector....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:27:28 AM »
Thanks!
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
Downsides to using Notes....Change the Style = lose the Text override, Copy to another drawing = lose the Text override, no multileader option.

I still use them, you just need to be aware of these.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
Thanks for that.

On a side note - on the switch to 2013, I also finally caved in and accepted the ribbon (I had a custom set of toolbars for the last several years). I'm getting used to it I guess.
But does anyone know a way to stop it from automatically switching the visible ribbon bar based on what object I select? I HATE that. I want my stuff to be where I left it...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »
the context switching is really being done to your benefit...really

also I never thought of turning it off?

RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT

it seems there is no OFF
just varing shades of ON
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Thanks again

I'm sure it is for typical folks. My workflow is a bit wierd I think...
(I don't actually do civil design, but rather work with tree protection and assesing tree impacts from construction plans...)
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

sinc

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
I'm obviously a fan of the Sincpac-C3D, as its creator...

But one feature is that it lets you create Annotatve MText/MLeaders/Dimensions that match your DViewTWist..  Makes life SO MUCH simpler in most cases.  But this involves third-party support, as mentioned earlier in this post...  This is one of the "minor" additions of our software, which can still save you so much time that it pays for itself.  There are dozens of other additions that provide a far greater benefit.  We constantly get feedback from users that they wish Autodesk would include our functionality in the default release of C3D, because it is so much easier to use C3D with the Sincpac-C3D. than to use C3D by itself.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:19:58 AM »
AutoCAD itself has also the ability to scale objects and match their orientation to the current view. Blocks, texts, mtexts, leaders, all these objects can be set annotative.

Only thing to remember is to use middle center alignment of texts, and NOT setting your north arrow to match orientation :-)

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »
I've never had much luck with that. If I remember, it doesn't work correctly with dynamic blocks (most of my blocks are dynamic).
I've never been able to make it work for mleaders either, especially ones with block content... maybe I'm just missing something.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

sinc

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
I think the default AutoCAD functionality only works if you create the annotative objects in a paperspace viewport.  It doesn't work if you want to create MTEXT/MLeaders/Dimensions in modelspace.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
The option to align objects to Layout is off course only visible in a Layout. In Modelspace the objects are aligned to WCS, in a Viewport they are aligned to the Layout.

Scaling objects is setting the annotation scale which can be set in Modelspace and also in Viewports.

I've had no troubles with this system but it is quite difficult to understand. But that is setting label styles in Civil3D also.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

sinc

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
I am not seeing that.

Also, C3D labels pay absolutely no attention to Annotative styles.  They use their own independent methodology, since they existed before core AutoCAD got Annotative Styles.  C3D Labels ALWAYS use the text height set in the C3D Style, and ignore the Annotative settings in your text.  It really doesn't matter what you have "Annotative" set to in your Text Style...  C3D only honors the setting in you C3D Label Style.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
Speaking of C3D 2013 bugs, is anyone having an issue with panning and zooming within drawings?  at our office, if we want to pan or zoom transparently, it is extremely slow, we basically have to start a command, then pan or zoom around to eliminate the lag.  If we watch our resource monitor, as we are panning and zooming, the network traffic on our machines shoots through the roof, when we stop panning or zooming, it drops back down to almost 0 levels.  I think I've heard of this before, but cant remember how to resolve the problem.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
This suggests that you stop 'panning' and 'zooming' and start using the toolspace to 'Zoom To' the objects you are interested in.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
Not all objects appear in toolspace though...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
This suggests that you stop 'panning' and 'zooming' and start using the toolspace to 'Zoom To' the objects you are interested in.
this applies to panning and zooming in any drawing, even in paperspace drawings, where one might zoom into create a leader or note or any other annotation.  zoom to is not a practical solution for this problem.  I can zoom extents and zoom window faster.
Win 10

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »
Speaking of C3D 2013 bugs, is anyone having an issue with panning and zooming within drawings?  at our office, if we want to pan or zoom transparently, it is extremely slow, we basically have to start a command, then pan or zoom around to eliminate the lag.  If we watch our resource monitor, as we are panning and zooming, the network traffic on our machines shoots through the roof, when we stop panning or zooming, it drops back down to almost 0 levels.  I think I've heard of this before, but cant remember how to resolve the problem.

Harware acceleration might help here.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
its off right now.  Turning it on doesnt seem to affect the problem.
Win 10

Craig Davis

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
I've found this very annoying also.

Rotated UCS works fine. well until Autodesk broke it in this version.

Hopefully a fix soon. Driving me nuts.

Craig Davis

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
I've had no troubles with this system but it is quite difficult to understand. But that is setting label styles in Civil3D also.

Only problem I've mainly had with text annotation is when using CHSpace to bring text objects from the model into a layout. If the text doesn't have a 1:1000 (we use m units in modelspace) annotation it disappears.

You would think that Autodesk would know if you're bringing text from model space into paperspace that you'd want the text to be visible so it should automatically add the correct paperspace annotation scale to it. Don't have to do it much but annoying when you do.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
this applies to panning and zooming in any drawing, even in paperspace drawings, where one might zoom into create a leader or note or any other annotation.  zoom to is not a practical solution for this problem.  I can zoom extents and zoom window faster.
Sorry I didnt post back my solution sooner.  Come to find out after much digging, we had a standards file that was attached to our old drawings that was removed after we switched to 2013.  so all those old drawings were looking for a file that didnt exist.  I added the standards file back into our support paths and the problem went away.
Win 10

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Here's one for ya. This has happened now 4-5 times, same point. Start the LINE command, switch to 'PN enter '40' as the start point. Looking at the screen shot you'll see where the line actually starts.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
Here's one for ya. This has happened now 4-5 times, same point. Start the LINE command, switch to 'PN enter '40' as the start point. Looking at the screen shot you'll see where the line actually starts.
yes, however is that a (mal) function of the command or is it related to the point label style on that point?

where is PN 40 really at?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »
yes, however is that a (mal) function of the command or is it related to the point label style on that point?

What is a 'mal' function? The coordinates of 40, at the node, are the correct coordinates.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

What is a 'mal' function? The coordinates of 40, at the node, are the correct coordinates.
Malfunction...as in the line @ 'PN is picking the wrong coordinates of the point in question to start from.

What happens if you start a line with the coordinates of Point #40 as the origin? (not using the transpearent command)

From above "the coordinates of 40 at the node", the actual point or the insert of the text label component 40?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Malfunction...as in the line @ 'PN is picking the wrong coordinates of the point in question to start from.
It doesn't do it all the time and thus far just that point.

What happens if you start a line with the coordinates of Point #40 as the origin? (not using the transpearent command)
The line starts from what i call the node or point. What I would consider the correct location.

From above "the coordinates of 40 at the node", the actual point or the insert of the text label component 40?
So, you're telling me i can change the location of the point, it's coordinates, by changing the text label component?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:31 AM »
No, I'm asking a question...

is the point label style defined  in such a way that it is being inserted wrong?
Giving the illusion that the 'PN command is starting in the wrong place?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
No, I'm asking a question...

is the point label style defined  in such a way that it is being inserted wrong?
Giving the illusion that the 'PN command is starting in the wrong place?
I'm going to say no. But i'm a just user. Below is a screen shot of the style it that helps.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Is any part of that label anchored to the FEATURE? (the Point)

Or just test typing in the point coordinates for the start point of a line...where does it start when you manually type in the coordinates?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
Or just test typing in the point coordinates for the start point of a line...where does it start when you manually type in the coordinates?
At the node, point or whatever they call that now.

Is any part of that label anchored to the FEATURE? (the Point)
See screen shot. *shrug*