Author Topic: How do you use OSNAPS?  (Read 9206 times)

Bob

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 10:05:11 AM »
I have endpoint midpoint and intersection running, then ctrl right for the more interesting ones.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 10:09:07 AM »
I use endpoint and insertion frequently so I made F3 and F4 these snaps. As Cadaver said, if you have running osnaps in large drawings with many xrefs, performance is a real issue so I almost never have running osnaps on.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 10:09:30 AM »
I have a combination of osnaps always on, and I circle thru them with 'CTRL' when I need a specific one and it is not showing right away.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

hyposmurf

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Hypo, all you have to do is select the add poll button.  I added the "other (please specify)" for you and then selected it. There is another option that I use.

I had an option for "I dont use OSNAPS" but it seemed to only alow me four poll choices.

sinc

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 11:35:21 AM »
This is somewhat OT, more on the lines of a tip...

But FWIW, I think I've finally started to figure out why I seem to have a problem with the APPINT OSNAP not working sometimes, particularly with drawings I get from architects (at least in 2004).  I think it has something to do with the extended objects created by vertical apps such as ADT and LDD.

I think the way the bug works is that it is impossible to select one of these objects as the first item in an APPINT if the item is in an XREF.  I know I have this problem a lot with stuff I get from architects, and I think I've also had the problem with things like alignments.  As an example, say I have an alignment in an XREF.  There's a line crossing it.  I can get the intersection of the line and alignment by using APPINT if I select the line first, then the alignment.  However, I can't select the alignment first; the alignment is invisible to the APPINT OSNAP.  This is only a problem for the first item; I can select the alignment as the second item with no problem.    Also, other OSNAPs such as NEAR and the normal intersect seem to have no problem.

This problem doesn't crop up much with Land, but it does with stuff from architects, where whole sides of buildings are some special ADT object.  I've discovered I can fix the problem by going into the architect's drawing and exploding the offending items.

I may not quite have all the details of the bug right, but it was annoying the hell out of me for quite a while until I noticed this much of the pattern.

t-bear

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 11:42:51 AM »
In mechanical there is a power osnap toolbar allowing the user to set four different osnap combos.  So for set 1, I have end,cen....for 2, I have end, cen, qua, ins.... for 3, I have nid, quad ins, perp and for 4, I have none...........
Like anything else in CAD, it's a matter of what works for each individual...........The Bear hates the keyboard.................................. LOL

CADaver

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 11:43:09 AM »
Quote from: sinc
I think the way the bug works is that it is impossible to select one of these objects as the first item in an APPINT if the item is in an XREF.  I know I have this problem a lot with stuff I get from architects, and I think I've also had the problem with things like alignments.  
It'll have a problem with stacked elements (lines on top of lines) as well.

Dinosaur

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2005, 11:47:58 AM »
I find the APPINT will never select the first entity if there are 2 or more overlaying objects although it will accept OK for the second.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2005, 01:51:36 PM »
I have the osmode set to 0.
Since release 11 I use the function keys to snap. It took me about 4 hours to get used to.

When Autodesk came with their solution, I've tried that, but I still prefer my method:
F1 = int,end
F2 = cen,mid
F3 = per,qua
F4 = ins,nod
F5 = near
F6 = app,tan

I also made alias commands like C:INT,END for frequently used commands, so I also can start these with the the F-keys.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

whdjr

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2005, 02:04:09 PM »
magic number is    6387 :)

I have these set always unless specificly doing a different task.

t-bear

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2005, 03:26:06 PM »
So few of you use the cen osnap that I can only assume that most of you are flat-worlders (2D) or architectural (everything's a flippin BOX to them!)  I'd be lost in a piping development without it...........CADaver, you feel the same?

nivuahc

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »
I suppose I should clarify and say that I use 51 as my setting. I rarely have a need for anything else (electrical drafting, go figure). When I do need something else I'm a keyboard mad CAD ninja.

Unless I'm holding a cup of coffee.

MikePerry

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2005, 05:17:59 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
INS will find the INSertion point of text, but in newer releases, the "other" corners of text are now NODE osnaps.  BRILLIANT bloody move that was.  Had I wanted a lame, ham-handed bit of software, I'd have bought Microstation to begin with.
Hi

System variables for AutoCAD 2005 users only ->

OSnapNodeLegacy
OSnapHatch

Have a good one, Mike

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2005, 05:35:05 PM »
I run 679 al the time with tracking running as well.  I set the thumb button of my mouse to "Middle Button" and that opens the snap menu for over rides.  THe one I use alot is "Middle" (a costom addition).  My snap Menu has been reduced for speed>

My Snap Menu
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Gliderider

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 07:20:23 AM »
I have an old Gateway Anykey key board, and have programmed some of the function keys for the most commomly used osnaps. I use a scaled down toolbar for the rest.