Author Topic: How do you use OSNAPS?  (Read 9431 times)

hyposmurf

How do you use OSNAPS?
« on: February 20, 2005, 01:34:14 PM »
Ive recently discovered that I can tab through my OSNAPS and realised as usual theres many ways of skinning the cat in CAD,even for OSNAPS.Wondering what method is most used by members and what the pros and cons are.It only allows me four options oin the poll!

paulmcz

• Bull Frog
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 02:46:48 PM »
(defun c:ss ()(command "osmode" 45)(princ))

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 10:58:27 PM »
I generally set a few running osnaps then override as needed for those infrequently used ones such as tangent and parallel ..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Big G

• Bull Frog
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 05:08:46 AM »
Quote from: Keith
I generally set a few running osnaps then override as needed for those infrequently used ones such as tangent and parallel ..

I pretty much use them in the same way. I have end and int constant then type the requd one out. (Hate Icons!! and never been a fan of shift-rt click)
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 06:04:40 AM »

Me too, though I didnt realise the ctrl right click was there, will try that for a while instead of the toolbar at the side of the screen.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

SMadsen

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 06:50:30 AM »
This should be a multiple choice poll as all options can apply to different situations.

Usually have OSMODE to 45 and override if needed by typing. Rarely use menus for overrides unless my left hand is busy holding a phone or a cup of coffee. If snapping becomes ambiguous, Tab is used for searching out the point.

nivuahc

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 07:51:03 AM »
Quote from: SMadsen
This should be a multiple choice poll as all options can apply to different situations.

Usually have OSMODE to 45 and override if needed by typing. Rarely use menus for overrides unless my left hand is busy holding a phone or a cup of coffee. If snapping becomes ambiguous, Tab is used for searching out the point.

Ditto what Stig said

daron

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 08:13:49 AM »
Hypo, all you have to do is select the add poll button.  I added the "other (please specify)" for you and then selected it. There is another option that I use. First, I set osmode to 6175, because I use polar at 15 degrees, which acts as nearest. I force feed perpendicular, because running it constant cause problems. It forces itself too often. Also, some options don't fare well in running mode, i.e. parrallel. Plus, I don't use mbuttonpan in pan-mode, which allows me to hit the middle button and avoid the use of shift-rt click. Then, I've grown accustomed to knowing the mnemonic of each snap and therefore, if I want to force perpendicular, I middle-click select p and get perp. Very quick and efficient.

CADaver

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 08:41:38 AM »
When using extremely large xrefs, setting multiple running osnap can cause serious degredation in performance.

I use POP0 with hot keys defined; middlebutton+E = ENDPoint.  I only set running osnaps when I know I'm going to need a particualr osnap or two for several commands; like node when working with surveys.  (What idiot at AutoDESK decided that text should have NODE osnaps??)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 08:52:30 AM »

This is typically what I do as well.

BTW, whats the difference BT shift-rt click  and ctrl-rt click
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Big G

• Bull Frog
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 09:04:23 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
(What idiot at AutoDESK decided that text should have NODE osnaps??)

Why oh why oh why. Really annoying!!!
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 09:13:41 AM »
Quote from: Big G
Quote from: CADaver
(What idiot at AutoDESK decided that text should have NODE osnaps??)

Why oh why oh why. Really annoying!!!

I get INSert osnap for Text.  Could it have something to do with your Point data in your survey?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

MikePerry

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 09:31:32 AM »
OSMode = 97

The use a combination of -

Set OSMode transparently within a command via keyboard
Directly type required OSnap setting via keyboard
Tab Key
OSnap Menu

CADaver

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 09:34:09 AM »
Quote from: CmdrDuh
I get INSert osnap for Text.  Could it have something to do with your Point data in your survey?
INS will find the INSertion point of text, but in newer releases, the "other" corners of text are now NODE osnaps.  BRILLIANT bloody move that was.  Had I wanted a lame, ham-handed bit of software, I'd have bought Microstation to begin with.

Dinosaur

How do you use OSNAPS?
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 09:43:21 AM »
I do believe that there are intersections defined anywhere around the whole frame where text overlays a line as well.