Author Topic: Lineweight Issue  (Read 6714 times)

V-Man

• Bull Frog
  • I exist therefore I am! Finally Retired!
Lineweight Issue
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
Good morning,

I am experiencing a weird anomaly. I have 2 separate drawings showing the same window mullion (Drawing A and Drawing B). On drawing A, the lines are visually thicker and drawing B they are thin. Now, in both drawings A & B the mullion is on the same layer with the same line-weight thickness (properties). I want to know why they show up differently....  The LWDISPLAY is turned OFF in both drawings A & B but as you can see in Drawing A the mullion is visually showing the lineweight as it is in the layer properties..... This is where is gets weird... If I go into Drawing A and turn ON the LWDISPLAY and then turn it OFF, then the lines change from being thick to thin but as soon as I pan or zoom, the thick lines show up immediately. Now, if I go into Drawing B and turn ON or OFF multiple times using the LWDISPLAY command nothing happens. I can turn it ON and OFF and nothing happens at all. I did a System Variable Dump from both drawings to compare and there is nothing. Does anyone have any idea why this is occurring? Or am I just having a brain fart.... I am using AutoCAD 2012
AutoCAD 9 - 2023, AutoCADMap 2008 - 2010, Revit 2012 - 2022, Autocad Civil 3D 2023

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
Re: Lineweight Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
I also work in AutoCAD 2012 but haven't experienced the line weight display issue.

I had a similar issue with polylines being 'unfilled'. The solution in my case was to change the active and default visual style, 2D Wireframe, to another default variety and then switch back.

Also, check either the Plot or Page Setup dialog to see if the "Display plot styles" box is checked and having an effect on the line weight display

Believe me, that matters!
Thanks, Clint
Mechanical Designer / Process Piping
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022
Newbie Betimes - LISP Programmer

kpblc

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »
It seems like differenvce is only LWDISPLAY: Drawing A.dwg has lwdisplay on, Drawing B - off. I haven't AutoCAD 2012, tested on AutoCAD 2013 + SP.
P.S. VisualStyles : 2DWireframe, UCS - world, View - top...
Sorry for my English.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:05 AM »
Plot or Page Setup dialog to see if the "Display plot styles" box is checked and having an effect on the line weight display
That seems to be it in Dwg A. Right-click the Model tab, choose Page Setup manager ..., click Modify... and uncheck the "Display plot styles" (top right). You might need to close and re-open the DWG to have this effect become visible.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

V-Man

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »
Chillme1
Also, check either the Plot or Page Setup dialog to see if the "Display plot styles" box is checked and having an effect on the line weight display

irneb
That seems to be it in Dwg A. Right-click the Model tab, choose Page Setup manager ..., click Modify... and uncheck the "Display plot styles" (top right). You might need to close and re-open the DWG to have this effect become visible.

That did the trick. Man I totally did not know about that. An old dog learned a new trick today.

Thanks guys for the quick response. It is much appreciated. I sure am glad that is resolved. It was very annoying... lol  :-)
AutoCAD 9 - 2023, AutoCADMap 2008 - 2010, Revit 2012 - 2022, Autocad Civil 3D 2023

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
Plot or Page Setup dialog to see if the "Display plot styles" box is checked and having an effect on the line weight display

Thanks Chillme/Irné, that's a new one for me too - noted for future reference  :-)

V-Man

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

Ok, It seems that this problem is widespread and sporadic on hundreds of drawings. Now that I know the cause and fix for the problem. Is there a way to automate this to make this happen on more than one drawing?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
To process many drawings at once I would use Lee's ODBX wrapper and the function below:

Code: [Select]

(defun c:foo (/ _noshow)
  (defun _noshow (doc) (vlax-for l (vla-get-layouts doc) (vlax-put l 'showplotstyles 0)))
  ;; Lee's ODBX wrapper < lm:odbx >
  ;; http://www.lee-mac.com/odbxbase.html
  (lm:odbx '_noshow nil t)
  (princ)
)

If you want to add it to your startup, you could use something like this:
Code: [Select]
(defun c:foo nil
  (vlax-for l (vla-get-layouts (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
    (vlax-put l 'showplotstyles 0)
  )
  (princ)
)
(c:foo)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

V-Man

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
ronjonp
To process many drawings at once I would use Lee's ODBX wrapper and the function below:

Perfect. Many thanks. This will save me loads of time. It's weird that some drawings have that option checked and others do not.

Thanks again

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
Glad to help :)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »

Ok, It seems that this problem is widespread and sporadic on hundreds of drawings. Now that I know the cause and fix for the problem. Is there a way to automate this to make this happen on more than one drawing?
Glad ronjonp's code works for you.

This might have been due to someone making a plot setup which displays an AsPlotted view on paper space and then using that to apply it to the model space. The Drawing A.dwg's model space is applied a plot style with the name REVIEWSETUP, though the setup is not saved into the DWG (perhaps "purged" out). This contains the display plot style check. So somewhere the page setup was applied to the model tab. Might even be some lisp which could have done that, especially since ACad disallows to apply a PS page setup into the Model tab.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.