Author Topic: Civil 3D - Some Things It Is UNWISE To Do  (Read 8082 times)

sinc

Re: Civil 3D - Some Things It Is UNWISE To Do
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 11:45:27 AM »

If you already have Civil 3d, you are almost certainly on subscription and you will have Civil 3D available.  I would install it and learn everything I can about it, but only as an individual exercise at this time.  If something new comes along or Bentley comes knocking with a full featured demo, my door is open wide.

I know that if someone has a viable solution, they have the ear of MY company...

The big thing with us is we just can't take the unreliability.  Autodesk seems to have no concept AT ALL of reliable software.

---

Instructions for Autodesk QC:
  • Recieve a bug report from a customer.
  • Classify the bug, however you feel like it.  Feel free to create a new classification, just for this bug.  If you get this wrong, that's OK - it will just make it seem like there's a lot more minor bugs, and a lot fewer major bugs.
  • Check and see if the bug classification matches a previous one.  If it does, add this bug report to the others in the same classification.
  • If the number of reports in the classification hits 100 different customers who complain, look at the bug, and determine if it's a serious bug or not.  If it causes the computer to crash, then it is a serious bug.  Report serious bugs to the programmers, so it can be looked at further, and fixed if the programmers determine it is an easy fix.  If the problem has a work-around, then that work-around will be posted in the Knowledge Base, and the bug will be left in the product.  Otherwise, it will be slated to be fixed someday, in some future version.
  • Once a bug classification has 1000 reports, look at it again.  If it is a semi-serious bug (i.e., only Autocad crashes), then report it to the programmers, who will deal with it as above.
  • If the number of reports in a classification hits 10,000 reports, pass it on to the programmers, who will try to deal with it as above.  But really, who has time to deal with these unimportant bugs?

Dent Cermak

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »
So what you are saying about the new Civil3D is that the wisest thing to do with it is not install it? I agree.
Now here's an oddity. I have the Civil3D Companion with my LDD package. So far it aooears to work fine. BUT then, I don't use a LOT of that package.

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »
So what you are saying about the new Civil3D is that the wisest thing to do with it is not install it?

For my purposes, it is probably an unnecessary release.  There are some new features I would like to try, but not enough to commit the entire office to using 2007 just to keep our drawings compatible.  Everybody higher than me on the company pecking order uses AutoCAD like it was release 9 and stop just short of suggesting that the whole office might be better off if that is exactly what everyone was using.   We are, and and this is a real quote from our design engineer yesterday "throwing stuff up on a wall to see what the city will let us get away with".   In such an environment, most of the functions of even Land Desktop are unused.  The only reason Civil 3D was tried was a problem with design changes not being fully updated throughout the drawing set - apparently the risk of errors is less threatening than losing the ability to fudge the drawings to make them look good and deal work out any problems in the field.

Now here's an oddity. I have the Civil3D Companion with my LDD package. So far it appears to work fine. BUT then, I don't use a LOT of that package.

It sounds like the package you have is the Land Desktop thrown in as a courtesy with the Civil 3D.  With this release Civil 3D was intended as the replacement for the Civil Design and Survey packages.  I think Survey may be dead now and the old Civil Design can still be had for the die-hards, but under its own license and subscription for a sizeable bag of nickles.  As far as its working correctly, good for you.  Perhaps you held your mouth in exactly the right way and used all the curse words in proper order.  Be cautious though because sinc's problems are being reported by numerous others.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
No. My LDD 2007 is made up of LDD2007, the Survey Package(2007) and the Civil3D Companion(2007). All are 2007 versions. I guess they decided to hold off for another year. (maybe they knew Civil3D was broken, but they had "deadlines".)  ^-^

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 06:42:41 PM »
sinc,

I have tried and tried and can not duplicate your error. I can change the entire groups style, and or individuals within the group; all without error.  Are your machines all better than the advertised minimums?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 09:12:55 AM »
sinc,

I have tried and tried and can not duplicate your error. I can change the entire groups style, and or individuals within the group; all without error.  Are your machines all better than the advertised minimums?

The bug was fixed in Civil 3D SP1.

It's this item, from the Sevice Pack README:

An issue with using the Point Editor to change point styles, point label styles, or point layers has been resolved. The Point Editor now responds appropriately when you change these items.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
Interesting, as I never installed any service pack, yet???
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/