Author Topic: 2007 upgrade question  (Read 3014 times)

hudster

• Gator
2007 upgrade question
« on: April 11, 2006, 07:42:49 AM »
I upgraded from 2006 to 2007, but it left 2006 on my computer. can I legally still use it even though i upgraded?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

quicksilver

Re: 2007 upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 09:00:20 AM »
I think that you can for 3 or 4 months or forever if you are on subscription.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 08:30:09 AM »
I upgraded from 2006 to 2007, but it left 2006 on my computer. can I legally still use it even though i upgraded?

Check your EULA.

nivuahc

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:47:41 AM »
Located in your installation directory:

Quote from: License.rtf
2.3   Upgrades.  If Autodesk labels the Software in the User Documentation as an upgrade or update (“New Version”) to software previously licensed to You (“Previous Version”), You must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies Installed on Your hard disk drive, and upon request by Autodesk return any User Documentation to Autodesk or the authorized distributor from whom You acquired the Previous Version within one hundred twenty (120) days of Installing the New Version.  Autodesk reserves the right to require You to show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed. Autodesk or an authorized third-party in connection with the Software licensed to You hereunder may provide You additional software that supplements or extends the Software.  Such supplemental software shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement except Section 5.1 (Limited Warranty), unless otherwise specified at the time of delivery. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may retain and need not destroy the Previous Version and may use the Previous Version solely if necessary (1) for the purposes of Installing the New Version hereby licensed and (2) for archival (backup) purposes in order to Install the New Version licensed by this Agreement if the initial installation fails.

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »
I just found this little blurb in the help files for 2004...

You can now install AutoCAD 2004 and keep other versions of AutoCAD on the same system.

If you've purchased an upgrade version of AutoCAD, you are required to uninstall the previous version of AutoCAD within sixty days of installing AutoCAD 2004. See your license agreement for more information.[/quote

nivuahc

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
I spoke to my reseller about this on Tuesday and, according to him, if you are on subscription you can run different versions of AutoCAD on your machine at one time. In other words, I'm not obligated to abandon CAD Overlay 2002 because I have to uninstall AutoCAD 2002.

I've yet to get a clear answer from Autodesk, though I admit I haven't tried very hard ;)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:58:36 PM »
This from the AutoDesk Subscription Center and applies ONLY if you are on the subscription program"

"Flexible Use of Previous Versions of Autodask Software

In response to customer feedback, Autodesk Subscription customers have the right, after receiving new versions of Autodesk software, to continue the use of previous versions of such software if the software is under Subscription."

Thus the ONLY reason to take advantage of the subscription program is revealed.  ^-^

Birdy

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 07:38:06 PM »
cool. Now I can keep older versions of software that I'll never use again. :|

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 09:34:36 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc
You must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies Installed on Your hard disk drive, and upon request by Autodesk return any User Documentation to Autodesk or the authorized distributor from whom You acquired the Previous Version within one hundred twenty (120) days of Installing the New Version.

Unless you are on subscription.  :wink:

sinc

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 10:09:22 PM »
I think the biggest reason to keep the old version on your computer is that 1) many people want to keep the old version installed, so they can feel their way around the new version, and 2) uninstalling any Autodesk software seems to break every other piece of Autodesk software on your system.  They say you should only need to repair the installation, but half the time, it seems I need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall to get everything working right.

Autodesk is the only company I've ever run into where uninstalling an old version breaks EVERYTHING.  :ugly:

hyposmurf

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 04:27:50 PM »
What happens if you have upgraded and then decide that the new version isnt what its made out to be and decide take the old version off & re-install the old version and use that.You would then be using a previous version that shouldve been destroyed.

PDJ

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »
What happens if you have upgraded and then decide that the new version isnt what its made out to be and decide take the old version off & re-install the old version and use that.You would then be using a previous version that shouldve been destroyed.

It's a good thing you're not dealing with wives there Hypo..

Best thing to do is just do the subscription thing.  I know for vanilla Autocad, the subscription is $420srp but, if you just decide to renew it every year, it'll cost you $595srp.  Now, some think "I'll just skip this year and upgrade next year." well, guess what, you're STILL going to pay for this years upgrade.. at the upgrade rate at that..

Moral of the story:  Just get subscription, it's the way everything AutoDesk is going.... You WILL be assimilated, resistance it futile.

sinc

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »
Sounds like Autodesk had a brief moment of sanity, though...

I saw a release recently where Autodesk bowed to customer complaints, and now says that IF YOU ARE ON SUBSCRIPTION, you can keep your old versions installed when you install a new version.

Now, whether or not your old software will still work when you install the new, well, that's a separate issue...   :wink:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
Now, whether or not your old software will still work when you install the new, well, that's a separate issue... :wink:

a piccy's worth ...
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

PDJ

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 03:36:39 AM »
I usually leave an older version on for up to 6 months, then I kill it.. I figure I've found what bugs I need to find or they've been patched by then and I've got all my previous release stuff swapped up..