Author Topic: Database Errors causes No access to database functions!!!  (Read 12207 times)

Dinosaur

Re: Database Errors causes No access to database functions!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 01:56:23 PM »
It sounds like Michael and I are sniffing the same trail.  Since he has a much keener nose than I, you should have a solution forthcoming.  Please post back with any solutions you come up with.  Now I think I shall go rant in the general forum about trashing a troublesome install and destroying valuable evidence of what went wrong.

Ken

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »
Go get'm Dinosaur!!!

Once I find an answer, I guarantee I will shout it to the WORLD!!! As best I can anyway.

Ken

Ken

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 03:10:17 PM »
Okay, here's what I know so far:

Logging me on as a user on another computer works once the mapping is set up for me on that computer. LDD works and there is access to the database. No errors pop up. It looks like I could sit down and use that computer with no problem.

Then we tried to log on another user at my computer ... the problem is still here.

At this point it looks like nobody could log onto this computer and get it to work properly with LDD. Haven't been able to determine yet if it's a software or hardware problem, but it seems to be isolated to this computer. Still don't have a fix, but at least we're getting it narrowed down a little bit.

Ken

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 03:36:49 PM »
One more long shot . . . Did you try to repair or reinstall Office AFTER all of the AutoDesk stuff?

Ken

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »
I am in the process of doing that now and there's a new problem.

I uninstalled LDD 2006 and Civil Design 2006. I uninstalled Office 2003. Then did all the things I needed to do for a "clean" install.

I have just tried to install LDD 2006 and it stopped due to an installer error 1317, which indicates it was trying to create the directory: C:\Land Projects 2006\Tutorial2

I don't have any idea why the install would fail at that point ... but it did.

Where's a loaded gun when you really need one.

I'll keep trying things but this seems to be getting worse, not better.

Ken

Dinosaur

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »
See what THIS has to say.

Are you logging in as administrator or at least with administrator privileges for your installations?

Ken

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 08:17:26 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the info on the 1317 Error. I'll show it to our IT/Tech guy and see if he can help me work through it. He should be helping me, but since he's not having this problem on his machine, he's not been very responsive ... except to say "Looks like YOU'VE got a problem". BTW, he was the first one to have this problem and his own solution was to just buy a new machine.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Ken

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
Ken,

Is THIS GUY your IT person?
His problem sounds identical to yours.

Ken

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 09:30:44 AM »
No, that's not my "IT" guy but they seem to be in the same species and here's why!

The good news is I have my system working again, the bad news is I still don't know the cause of the glitch, so we may have to deal with it again.

While talking to somebody else in the office about this problem, he asked me that since my machine is using XP, why don't I use the Restore function available in XP and simply restore the whole system to a point prior to the glitch! Wow, now isn't that something you would think the "IT" guy would have had some knowledge of and want to try before he says "Just buy a new machine"?? Anyway, as I now know, XP periodically and automatically creates these system backups, probably at least twice a week, or you can create a specific restore points whenever you want. Then it's a simple thing to have it restore the system to how it looked at a previous time. So, that's what I did. After some reconfiguring needed to connect to the network and pathing to a new server, the glitch is gone!! So, my recommendation is anybody out there running XP, become familiar with this function and create specific restore points as necessary.

I wish I knew the cause of this problem, but at least I know that if it happens again, within a hour, I can be working again. If this becomes a constant and recurring problem, I'm hoping we can do enough troubleshooting to correct the cause. For now, I'm just happy to be working again and we saved the company from having to buy a new machine.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. If anybody has a similar problem and finds a true solution, I would still really like to hear a bout it.

Ken

Dinosaur

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 10:02:04 AM »
Ken,

Glad to see you are finally out of the shop!  I had thought about the restore idea but thought you had already redone Windows too so that would be unavailable.  That is an important thing to remember when you are having these problems and have XP.  I think it also sets a restore point every time you install anything for just this purpose.

Dinosaur

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 11:22:17 AM »
This response just appeared in the Autodesk Newsgroup in a thread about a problem similar to yours.

Re: Error opening Point Group Database: 80040154
There is no problem with your .mdb. , but there is a problem with MDAC on that specific machine. You need to re-install MDAC ( which is a windows component ) if you have windows SP2 go to http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?id=5590359&linkID=24755&siteID=123112 This is case sensitive I discovered. Ps, i'll bet you just upgraded from ldd 2002. Hope this helps

Hopefully you won't have any need for it again.

Note - this is a dead link, but the information may be useful to find the correct one

Ken

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 11:50:36 AM »
That looks like great info Steve.

In fact we do have one machine sitting here that still has the problem, so I will see if that fixes it before we do a System Restore on it. I have recently Upgraded from 2004 to 2006. But the first machine it showed up on, had been running 2004 for years, with no recent upgrades. This gremlin did show up shortly after we did a major "Server Upgrade", not sure how they could be related, but it makes more sense that anything else so far. As of today, it hasn't shown up on any other machines, so maybe at this point I'm just chasing a ghost. But I'd sure like to be ready with a fix just in case it shows up again.

I'll let you know if this turns out to be the cure.

BTW, your "Suddenly Stopped Working" thread in General was great. It brought up some important discussion and comments.

Ken

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 02:41:39 PM »
FWIW, the OP in the Adesk thread just reported that the MDAC repair solved their problem.....