Author Topic: XREFs  (Read 12755 times)

dtkell

• Bull Frog
Re: XREFs
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 08:10:38 PM »
Always overlay.
If there is a drawing that I don't need any of the information from, it gets left out.
\"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?\" -Ursula K. Le Guin

whdjr

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 03:15:52 PM »
I would have to say both although the more I use Overlay the more I see an importance for it.  It is also a great tool when you have many project members.

t-bear

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 10:15:06 PM »
eah, but wait till you have to bind an xref and it's nested in a drawing, which has a nested xref, which has a nested xref, which has a nested xref etc etc.

I've seen that and it wasn't pretty

When you bind the parent xref, all the others come along for the ride...simple!  There are two options for the bind command....bind and insert.  Binding keeps all layers  from each child xref separated...you have a "part-01" on two xrefs.."A" and "B".  The layers would be "A/$part-01$" and  "B/$part-01$".  With the bind option, both would be on "A/part-01" layer.  A little tricky at first, but easy to get the hang of it.

We use attach exclusivly...all our stuff is assemblies and sub-assemblies.  When I do a site layout, it includes the gas handling system, flare and the interconnect piping.  In the GHS I have a control cabinet, blowers, piping, the skid and instrumentation, all of which are xrefs in the GHS, and all of which must show on the overall site plan.  With overlay most all of this would not show. 

Basically, it all boils down to how/what you are drafting.  An archi would find overlay very handy in creating the various prints for each dicipline...electrical doesn't need plumbing who doesn't need.......  For us however, attach is the only way to go.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 11:33:17 AM »
For what it's worth, I use them both depending on what I want to accomplish.

Royalchill

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »
 :pissed:

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 09:14:05 AM »
Do most people refedit the xref in place or open the xref drawing? (I've only just found out about xopen, nice command)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 09:37:21 AM »
We consider refedit evil and disable it.

:pissed:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »
That could also be an arguement for overlays I suppose. As if something is colliding with your piece, to relocate your piece in its original dwg you need to bring in the xref  that shows the collision.

glee

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 05:45:09 PM »
I prefer xopen instead of refedit.  Does what refedit used to be in R14. 

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 08:39:21 PM »
REFEDIT for xrefs is of the devil. It's use here will draw the ire of the CAD manager :pissed: :realmad: and he's an ugly mean bast.... ummmm...  wait a minute.... nevermind.

REFEDIT is a most wonderful tool for redefining blocks, but it's use for XREFS is disallowed.

Back to the original question, I wish to modify my fist answer.  We use both depending on what we need.  Sometimes the file is ATTACHED if it is a component within an assembly that must follow the assembly whereever it goes, especially if the component is used several times within the assembly.  We are slowly moving away from that scenario, and using REFEDIT on BLOCKs within the drawing instead.

Jim Yadon

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 01:18:42 AM »
I prefer to keep my options open and use either depending on the situation. If I really thought about it, I could make a really good argument for nested XREFing. It makes perfect sense in my head but doesn't sound right when I read it.

glee

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »
I'll revise my initial response about x-refs. 
For any file that's going to be in my sheets, I use overlays and try to avoid nested x-refs.
However during the course of working on drawings there maybe reasons why I will switch an x-ref back to an attachment.
I.e. while working on building sections or elevations. Plans would be x-refed in as overlays to serve as a guide.  But supposing I needed to show the proper grades, instead of x-reffing the civil drawings in, I'll just drop into the plans and temporarily switch the civil site base back to attach, reload the plan in the elevations and now I can pull lines down from the topo info.  When complete, I switch it back to an overlay in the plan file. 
The same goes if I'm tryng to find conflicts between structure, mechanical ducts, lights and sprinklers.  We're not 3D yet on that and won't be until the entire AEC is using BIM. 

So it depends on what I need it for.