Author Topic: Bentley Structural  (Read 18449 times)

Chuck Gabriel

Bentley Structural
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »
My employers want to move from 2D CAD to a Building Information Modeling product.  They seem to be leaning toward Bentley Structural, and I was wondering if anybody here could provide any insight into the pro's and con's of the product.

We are currently and have always been an AutoCAD office, and I'm not particularly keen to switch to a Bentley product.  However, we are going to lose our knowledge investment in AutoCAD regardless of what BIM product we decide on, and that makes switching to Bentley less of an issue.

pmvliet

Re: Bentley Structural
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:59:29 PM »
I would take a gander that the reason for this is that Bentley purchased both Ram and Staad (two of the structural analysis sofltware packages).

our company uses Bentley Structural but I don't work with it so I can't comment.

Pieter

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 04:02:19 PM »
I believe the purchase of RAM International is figuring prominently in the decision making process.  We use it for design and analysis, and it doesn't integrate with Revit Structure (Surprise!).

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
All I know is Bentley products are extremely robust, and so are the training pricetags.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »
Pro's: It's Bentley
Con's: It's Bentley
 :|

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:01:51 AM »
One big (in my mind) con is that it is not a stand-alone product like Revit.  You have to buy a Microstation license to run it on.

The only real (again in my mind) pro I'm aware of is that there will probably some kind of integration with RAM Structural System in the near future if there isn't already.  However, that is mitigated by the fact that RAM has an SDK that I can use to integrate it into whatever BIM software we choose to use.

Bob Garner

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 10:19:43 AM »
I can't comment on Bentley products but supposedly, the structural engineering industry is going from producing drawings to producing BIM's which will go directly to fabricators (or whoever).  The fabricators will produce shop drawings directly from the BIM's.  Right now, we model and analyze the structure in 3-D, then prepare 2-D drawings for the customer.  Going to the BIM will eliminate a step and get us away from liability for drawing errors, which I sadly admit are all too frequent with engineering firms.

Bob

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 10:32:11 AM »
I'm fairly well convinced of the value of BIM, but I don't want to make the mistake of letting marketing hype lead me to choose the wrong tool.

I'm no Autodesk fanboy.  In fact, I have serious problems with their business practices.  On the other hand, I've been using their software since about 1989, and I find their approach to user interfaces very intuitive.  It's a love/hate relationship.  I love their product, but I hate their executives, marketers, and bean counters.

Then there is Bentley.  I haven't had much exposure to Microstation, but I haven't liked what little I've seen.  I have heard good things about their approach to customer relationships, but I have also heard bad things about their licensing practices (see Ed Foster's GripeLog).  There have also been some negative comments made here and elsewhere about the stability and technical quality of their software.

pmvliet

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
it will be interesting for an A/E firm or structural firm to send a 3D BIM model directly to a fabrication shop.
There are always little things that are not exactly in there right location or at the correct spacing.
These firms are going to have to tighten their drawing practices because now, what they draw, will be what gets built...  :-o

Pieter

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 03:39:25 PM »
I started using V8 just recently working for an unnamed company ... I must admit that the learning curve is not nearly as difficult as I had previously envisionsed ... I still find it difficult having to key in certain commands, but alas, I am working on a fresh install with absolutely zero customizations. A truely horrifying experience ... but finally after 2 weeks I am able to draw a few lines, create cells, and manipulate the elements. It takes a bit of getting used to though ....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »
Thanks Keith.  That does help me gauge what my own learning curve might be.

I've been doing some research on microstation over the past couple of days, and it's beginning to look like I may actually like it.

deegeecees

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 05:08:07 PM »
Thanks Keith. That does help me gauge what my own learning curve might be.

I've been doing some research on microstation over the past couple of days, and it's beginning to look like I may actually like it.

Just forget (most) of what you know about AutoCAD, and you'll tighten that learning curve up a bit.

My halfacent.

Skint Subby

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 08:58:14 AM »
One big (in my mind) con is that it is not a stand-alone product like Revit.  You have to buy a Microstation license to run it on.

Agreed, It's not a stand alone product, but you can run it using AutoCAD as the platform rather than Microstation.

http://www.bentley.com/en-US/Products/AutoPLANT+Structural+Modeler/Overview.htm?market=Plant

I used it with ACAD 2002, and it works fine, once you get used to it. At least, if you have a reasonable knowledge of AutoCAD, the transition is easy

Pro's - Transition is easy. Lot's of tools (CoG, Total paint area, Total weld types/lengths, plus many more) Increase in productivity

Con's - Not sure, As I haven't used many other Structural packages to compare it against.

We used it for Oil and Gas / Petrochem process Skids / Modifolds. Not sure how it help you as I know nothing about Building / Construction industry.

IMHO I liked the product, it was easy to use and you could create "specials" and new shapes easily, However, There's not much you could do (modeling wise) with Rebis, that you couldn't do with Vanilla CAd and some minor mod.

Mark

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 10:11:51 AM »
Thank you very much Skint.  I didn't realize it could be used with AutoCAD.  I'll check into that right away.

[edit]
Correction.  We aren't talking about the same product.  Look here

Thanks anyway though.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:15:01 AM by Chuck Gabriel »

Skint Subby

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 10:41:07 AM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's the same product, but for different platforms.