Author Topic: terminology and concept whinge  (Read 8566 times)

CADaver

Re: terminology and concept whinge
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
...  It was a real hassle. 
ummm... COPY ->Select Objects->BasePoint=0,0,0->ENTER->CHPROP->PREVIOUS->new layer.  A little cumbersome maybe, but "hassle"?

Well if I knew the CHPROP command!...  But dammit CADaver I'm an engineer, not a draftsman! (said in the voice of Dr. McCoy from Star Trek). 

Yep, that would have been less of a hassle.  And I'm not surprised to find out a better way of doing things in CAD.  I used to work with a guy who really knew his stuff in AutoCAD - a true Cad Guru.  He scored in the top 10 in the world of AutoCAD users when he took an on-line test from AutoDesk - and stayed there for a long time.   I learned a lot from him, but only when I asked. :)   
ooohhhhhh, you should have told me you were an engineer ... I would have typed a lot slower so's you could keep up.  ;)

Civbert

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
To top that off, I see that with AutoCAD 2008, the "Copy Object to New Layer" now lets you pick the target layer by selecting an object on that layer.  :oops:  (We just upgraded to 08 from 05 so there's a lot of new stuff to learn).

The new option to pick on object on the target layer in the "Copy Object to New Layer" is better than selecting from a list of the layers -  but if the target layer is one you just created, there would be no objects on it.

So, if one was going to write a one-stop command button to do what the user wanted, would CADaver's process be the way to go for righting the program? 
COPY ->Select Objects->BasePoint=0,0,0->ENTER->CHPROP->PREVIOUS->new layer.

How would anyone here go about making the command?  Give the pseudo code.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 02:37:27 PM »
how about a macro .. It copies a selection to layer 0, you can change the layer name to whatever you want ...

it breaks down as:
copy[enter][pause for user selection][enter][basepoint]@[enter][newpoint]@[enter]chprop[enter][previous][enter][enter][layer][enter]0 (layer name)[enter][enter]
it essentially matches the user commandline input

Code: [Select]
^C^Ccopy;\\;@;@;chprop;p;;la;0;;
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »
CivBert,

Being an Engineer, I'm making a leap that you have C3D or Lamb <Land> Companion Product.

If this is true your task is easialy automated with a saved MAP query configured to autoexecute, and alter the objects properties all at the same time.

I know not a dotNet answer.....

EDIT>

sorry Michael, I just couldn't let some of these characters get started on that one  :lmao:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:03:51 PM by DinØsaur »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/