Author Topic: Last release of LDT?  (Read 3795 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Last release of LDT?
« on: December 08, 2005, 12:19:22 PM »
Do we know for sure what the last release of LDT will be? I've heard 2007.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

Re: Last release of LDT?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
I expect them to continue to update only for compatibility with the core program until the dwg format is changed, then no more LDT.  I expect that will be in 2008 if they keep their current rhythm going.  If Civil 3D isn't complete and stable by then I want to own stock in Bentley.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »
I have been told that LDD will be absorbed into Civil3D in the next release (2007). We will see in March i guess.

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 01:06:16 PM »
I don't think Autodesk has a prayer of including stable hydrology and survey modules for Civil 3D by r2007, or stabilize everything else for that matter.  They are already pushing the product before it is ready and I think forcing the change that much faster may be disastrous for Autodesk.

nzeeben

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 06:56:18 PM »
I'd say there is still a good chance on a 2008 release.  Civil 3D just isn't all the way there yet.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »
I think if you carefully read the addendum to the licensing agreement
that provides for "continued use of Land Desktop..." indicates that
Autodesk has no plans to fully mimic ALL existent Land functionality
into Civil 3D, some of it will be replaced, others improved, etc.

Either way if you pay autodesk for your subscription you can still use Land,
until you cant anymore.

So far the bigest hurdle to adopting Civil 3D; from the trenches
Effective training for all users to maximize the training experience.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 12:44:39 AM »
It would be grand if every company attempting to use Civil 3D would also have the foresight to provide adequate training for it as well.  Unfortunately they are not, perhaps providing at most a 2 or 3 day intro by their reseller by the majority.  I would guess that there is a direct relationship between these firms and the ones who never deploy C3D or shelve it as mine has done after busting a few budgets trying to learn on the fly.  For whatever reason, these firms will not embrace Civil 3D as long as LDT remains able to talk to the current core AutoCAD product.  Only at that point will it become too much hassle for them to continue to work with LDT.  Soon LDT will only run on older machines that are more diffcult to keep operating and outdated operating systems that won't support new software.  Then staying with LDT is no longer a viable option.

I have somewhere a set of 5 1/4 floppies with DCA for R10 and R10-386.  IF I could fire up a 486 dos machine with a working floppy drive I could turn out a pretty decent subdivision with it, but I would most likely have a hard time trying to get a plot.  Unless we are truly at the zenith of PC development today's cutting edge systems will eventually be as laughable as the old 386SX that I started out with, and LDT200X about as effective as my DCA discs.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 12:49:56 AM by Dinosaur »