Author Topic: TIP: Online help  (Read 3113 times)

nivuahc

TIP: Online help
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:09:53 PM »
Here's a tip for you, if you are new to CAD, and want to learn as much as possible:

The F1 key is your friend. :-)

Each new release of AutoCAD seems to bring with it a handful of new commands that even an old-timer like T-bear hasn't heard of. What I like to do, when I'm not under a lot of pressure to get something out the door, is to bring up the online help in AutoCAD by hitting the F1 key. In there you will find the 'Command Reference' listing most* all of the commands available to you in AutoCAD. They are arranged in alphabetical order, so I suggest starting with the A's and working your way down. Try some of the commands out, see how they work, ask yourself how you could use it in your day-to-day drafting.

This may sound like something so simple that it doesn't even warrant mentioning, but it's often the simple things that get overlooked.

I've been drafting for 15 years. I still go through the online command reference in my spare time and I still discover new ways of doing things that I didn't know existed.

And never, under any circumstance, be afraid to ask questions. There isn't a Swamper among us who started their career already knowing everything. ;)

* I say 'most' because, more than once, I've found commands in AutoCAD that weren't documented until the next release. :?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: TIP: Online help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »
As long as we're talking crazy talk read the Readme.chm file in the AutoCAD Help directory, specifically Command and System Variable History, Commands and System Variables. Nice sumary of what's new, changed and depricated.

(Good post Chuck).
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst