Author Topic: Architectural Wall Dimensions  (Read 18082 times)

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Architectural Wall Dimensions
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
  It just makes things go quicker.  You don't have to spend so much time laughing/throwing things when you have new teenage hires come on the job and call out a measurement of "46 and 3 little lines past a half" (true story)

CottageCGirl

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:53:36 PM »
  It just makes things go quicker.  You don't have to spend so much time laughing/throwing things when you have new teenage hires come on the job and call out a measurement of "46 and 3 little lines past a half" (true story)

Or how about the woman training me at my last job, couldnt figure out why her scale was sooooo far off, I had to figure out how to tell her that she was using an engineering scale, not an architects scale?!?!?!?!?!?

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
  Sure she didn't call it a "ruler".

*high school tech teacher* "There is only one ruler in this class and that's me!"

glee

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 07:14:30 PM »

Never use nominal dimensions especially in a large project.  You will end up with Creep...m

Agreed.  it's better to draw everything accurately.  We don't round though.  I keep the accuracy high.  if a weird dimension shows up in a string.  We go looking for the problem and fix it.  Last thing we need is dimensional creep where everything is off by fractions of an inch in a scaled drawing by by feet during construction of a building that's hundreds of feet long.  (Some people get careless when using snaps, especially perpendicular)

Know of one drafter round off a dimension for an angle. He never told anyone about it.  (Didn't draw the angle correctly in the first place and didn't think it was important enough to fix it).  A year later in the field when they are trying to fit some structural steel beams and wondering why nothing lines up.....   

As a former boss used to say, the great thing about cad is that you can be accurately wrong. 

glee

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »
  Sure she didn't call it a "ruler".

*high school tech teacher* "There is only one ruler in this class and that's me!"
3rd grade teacher. You know she is having a bad day when she whips out the ruler.  You know you are about to have that bad day transfered to the entire class in a jiffy.  many a friend had their knuckles mashed trying desperately to recite the times table under extreme stress.  End of hijack.