Author Topic: Architectural Wall Dimensions  (Read 10079 times)

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Architectural Wall Dimensions
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
  It just makes things go quicker.  You don't have to spend so much time laughing/throwing things when you have new teenage hires come on the job and call out a measurement of "46 and 3 little lines past a half" (true story)

CottageCGirl

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:53:36 PM »
  It just makes things go quicker.  You don't have to spend so much time laughing/throwing things when you have new teenage hires come on the job and call out a measurement of "46 and 3 little lines past a half" (true story)

Or how about the woman training me at my last job, couldnt figure out why her scale was sooooo far off, I had to figure out how to tell her that she was using an engineering scale, not an architects scale?!?!?!?!?!?
\\\\\\\"Why is there never enought time to do it right, BUT Always enough time to do it over?///////"

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
  Sure she didn't call it a "ruler".

*high school tech teacher* "There is only one ruler in this class and that's me!"

glee

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 07:14:30 PM »

Never use nominal dimensions especially in a large project.  You will end up with Creep...m

Agreed.  it's better to draw everything accurately.  We don't round though.  I keep the accuracy high.  if a weird dimension shows up in a string.  We go looking for the problem and fix it.  Last thing we need is dimensional creep where everything is off by fractions of an inch in a scaled drawing by by feet during construction of a building that's hundreds of feet long.  (Some people get careless when using snaps, especially perpendicular)

Know of one drafter round off a dimension for an angle. He never told anyone about it.  (Didn't draw the angle correctly in the first place and didn't think it was important enough to fix it).  A year later in the field when they are trying to fit some structural steel beams and wondering why nothing lines up.....   

As a former boss used to say, the great thing about cad is that you can be accurately wrong. 

glee

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »
  Sure she didn't call it a "ruler".

*high school tech teacher* "There is only one ruler in this class and that's me!"
3rd grade teacher. You know she is having a bad day when she whips out the ruler.  You know you are about to have that bad day transfered to the entire class in a jiffy.  many a friend had their knuckles mashed trying desperately to recite the times table under extreme stress.  End of hijack.