Author Topic: A problem that creates pet Peeves ...  (Read 4549 times)

Hangman

A problem that creates pet Peeves ...
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:59:31 PM »
OK, you all mentioned that you hate it when draftsman wannabees 'eyeball' stuff instead of using snaps.   I too hate that and want to make a clean dwg.
So, why in the HELL will the endpoint NOT snap to the end of a polyline that is xrefed into a dwg or inserted as a block ???  :evil:

For some dumb-A$(de$k) reason, with ADT 2k4, you cannot snap to an endpoint of a block or xref.

(Unless of course I just have a variable option wrong)   :x  ...   but they are still dumb-A$(de$k)'s   :!:

Signed,  VERY frustrated at the moment.   :x

CADaver

Re: A problem that creates pet Peeves ...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 01:21:43 PM »
Quote from: Hangman
OK, you all mentioned that you hate it when draftsman wannabees 'eyeball' stuff instead of using snaps.   I too hate that and want to make a clean dwg.
So, why in the HELL will the endpoint NOT snap to the end of a polyline that is xrefed into a dwg or inserted as a block ???  :evil:

For some dumb-A$(de$k) reason, with ADT 2k4, you cannot snap to an endpoint of a block or xref.

(Unless of course I just have a variable option wrong)   :x  ...   but they are still dumb-A$(de$k)'s   :!:

Signed,  VERY frustrated at the moment.   :x

hmmm...

PLINETYPE=1

Hangman

PLinetype
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 02:01:08 PM »
Naaawww ...
That doesn't do the trick.  (sure wish it did though)

From what the sys variable listing says about it,
"Specifies whether AutoCAD uses optimized 2D polylines. PLINETYPE controls both the creation of new polylines with the PLINE command and the conversion of existing polylines in drawings from previous releases.

0   Polylines in older drawings are not converted when opened; PLINE creates old-format polylines
1   Polylines in older drawings are not converted when opened; PLINE creates optimized polylines
2   Polylines in older drawings are converted when opened; PLINE creates optimized polylines"

This mearly converts it to an optimized 2k4 format.  (whatever that is?).
I haven't been able to find anything on Optimized polylines.

I tried changing the variable to 1 and to zero (it's currently at 2) but it doesn't help the situation.   The block in question, when exploded is simple lines on layer 0.  (designed to take on the layer it is inserted to).  So appearently, it's not just plines that I'm having problems with.
But I am having problems connecting to corners, quadrants, endpoints of arcs that are in xref or block form.

Could it be a block insertion variable ?  But then, what about attached xrefs ?  Could it be the way the block is created ?

Kate M

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 02:37:08 PM »
We had this problem too...trying to remember how I solved it...all layers on and thawed?

VerticalMojo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 02:48:35 PM »
I dont have 2004, but in my LT everything works fine!

Osnap settings? :?:
Options? :?:

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 03:19:48 PM »
We had the problem when we went to R2002 from R14, and solved it by setting PLINETYPE = 1

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 03:56:58 PM »
There is a setting, and I cannot for the life of me remember it. Essentially what it did was override the object snaps in blocks and force the snap to the insertion point of the block. If I remember what setting that was, I will certainly let you know.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Hangman

Still going ...
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 04:04:03 PM »
Yea Kate, all on 'n thaw'd.

Ya know, I never had this problem with 2000i so I'm a think'n it's a variable of some sort.
I also noticed I can't get the corners of AEC objects either.  I drop in a lav or sink and try to put a 'line' from the corner outward, won't happen.   Didn't have the problem with 2000i, even with AEC objects.

This is the simple block I am working with,  notice the crosshairs location of each corner.

...  Well crappola, ...  ok, so I can't insert an image, ...  
can't use cad very well either as you can see.   :D

I dunno what'ta do.   Other than i-ball this stupid thing.  It won't recognize an intersection, endpoint, ...  noth'n.

:idea:   EXPLODE IT ALL !!!   :twisted:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
Ok, according to ADesk, the whiparc setting "may" cause the osnaps to not work properly on blocks, custom objects and xrefs.

Their recommendation was to set the value of whiparc to 0

I still think there was something else, I will continue to search for the answer.

Can you forward the drawing or post it so we can look at it directly or does it affect ALL drawings.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

VerticalMojo

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 04:28:05 PM »
:shock: DONT EXPLODE!!!! :shock:

Hangman

Who'da thunk'it ?.!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 04:51:41 PM »
Well I'll be freik'n ...

Who'da thunk that whiparc would be the problem.

Thanks Keith, that did the trick !!!   You da Man !!!

I couldn't find a whole heckuva lot there at Adesk.  I was pull'n my hair out.

Not to worry Mojo, I wasn't going to xplode it.   I'm not that craz ...   Ok, maybe I am but still.   :D