Author Topic: Identifying strengths and weaknesses  (Read 8348 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Identifying strengths and weaknesses
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:00:12 AM »
I dont know whether this should really be in Cad general, here or Job junk, but for now I thought it'd be OK here.

I have been asked to find out the strengths and weaknesses (in cad) of the people who work here. The idea of this is so I can get everyone trained to a suitable level to be able to work to the company standards.

I will be asking not just the Cad people, but also any engineer who needs to open/plot a drawing.

I am really at a loss how to actually find out what people really do know, (recently a general questionaire came out about all skills and people I would think that are, at best, working knowledge have put down that they are experts :lol:)

Has anyone got any advice what/how to do this?

Many thanks

Tracey
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

hudster

• Gator
Re: Identifying strengths and weaknesses
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:03:53 AM »
have you thought about a CAD test as we have been doing on here?

anything someone gets wrong is a weakness that needs improved.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Arizona

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 06:30:12 AM »
Actually it is quite simple to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of a cad operator. Two things, first sit down with that person and ask questions followed by a few show me's. These questions should be very specific and on topic such as:
Do you use osnaps? Do you think about what layer you are on prior to adding entities? Do you know what the company standard is regarding xyz (and make it something simple, later ask a harder one)? What is their understanding level of the commands, do they know what options are available to them (or do they simply hit a button and things magically happen)? Do they understand the importance of the need for consistency in drawings? Are they by nature, a renegade/the rules don't apply to me kind of person?
Ask what you need to, and mix some easy and hard questions (meanwhile assuring the person that it is ok for them to not be able to respond to all your questions since even an expert would have difficulties).
Secondly, look at some of the drawings that they have worked on recently. But look purely from a critical drafters perspective. Is this the kind of drawing You would want to work on after someone else? Check for the company standards, check for intersections, correct layers(Layer isolate works great for this), proper text, etc...

hyposmurf

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 08:03:30 AM »
Quite a duanting task Jonesy, but I'd sit down first of all and run through one of their drawings and then as the others have said have a one to one and ask them questions.Maybe you could devise a questionaire for the engineering staff and one for the CAD staff and email around the office.Ask them what they think their strengths and weeknesses are,they maybe able to highlight ones youve missed.I'd also try to come up with a few plus points regarding an individual,even if you cant see they have any.That way they wont put up a complete wall against when you try to resolve their weekenesses.Even when you have a complete list of + & - points about an individual its about how you deliver the results that will determine their usefullness.Such as wording,when/where you deliver them and who's present.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:14:19 AM »
Quite a duanting task Jonesy, but I'd sit down first of all and run through one of their drawings and then as the others have said have a one to one and ask them questions.
Thats the sort of thing I'd thought of, but I cant think that just going through a drawing would neccessarily show how good/bad they are at using reference files for example. I dont want to sit and watch how they do something (too much pressure for them to get things right first time)
Quote from: hyposmurf
Maybe you could devise a questionaire for the engineering staff and one for the CAD staff and email around the office.Ask them what they think their strengths and weeknesses are,they maybe able to highlight ones youve missed.
Good idea there, maybe an e-mail fired round to ALL cad users with a response deadline.
Quote from: hyposmurf
I'd also try to come up with a few plus points regarding an individual,even if you cant see they have any.That way they wont put up a complete wall against when you try to resolve their weekenesses.Even when you have a complete list of + & - points about an individual its about how you deliver the results that will determine their usefullness.Such as wording,when/where you deliver them and who's present.
I used to teach at one of the local colleges, so building up a persons self-esteem, in my eyes, is very important. I was told you get more effort out of someone if you Start on a good point about their work, and end on a different good point! Always worked at college ^-^

The idea is for me to be able to arrange training sessions with the ones who arent up to speed, and highlight the people who can but dont, and to direct the workflow accordingly

Now to think about some questions...

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 11:41:32 AM »
Arizona, you made some great points there.

I will try to think of some suitable questions, and ask different questions to different people, depending on the ability they think they are! :kewl:

I might even produce/find a really bad drawing, and ask them to find the errors on it!

Thanks for your input

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:54:36 AM »
A few ideas...

Give them all the same drawing to do and either tell them to complete the drawing without referring to the standards manual or just tell them to finish the drawing...without mentioning ANYTHING about the standards.  (Then, review the drawing to see how far off they are)

-  Tell them you need them to drop what they're doing because you need this drawing done as soon as possible, but don't tell them you're timing them.  (Time them)

-  Ask THEM to list their strengths and weaknesses.  No one likes to be TOLD what their weaknesses are.  If you ask them, they're more likely to take a proactive approach to it instead of a defensive....somethingorother.

One thing they'll need is reassurance that this is not a test of whether they're fit to be employed there or not.  That tends to make people nervous and no one likes that feeling.

My 2¢

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »
One thing they'll need is reassurance that this is not a test of whether they're fit to be employed there or not. That tends to make people nervous and no one likes that feeling.

Good point there, maybe I'll bring it up at the management meeting, and get the team leaders to explain whats happening. Something in the lines of "All this is for is to identify who needs what training (if any) in cad", and then I'll re-iterate that when I'm talking to them.

Thanks
Tracey

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 12:37:29 PM »
Here you go!  If you're ever unsure about something in the workplace, just ask Dilbert!