Author Topic: Number of Viewprts  (Read 6811 times)

One Shot

Number of Viewprts
« on: September 22, 2005, 10:59:39 AM »
I know that you can put as many viewprts on a tab as you like.  What is the most amount of viewports that you can use and it will not slow up the the dwg opening and regen?  What is your standard for controling the amount viewports on a tab?

Thank you,

Brad
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 10:53:24 AM by One Shot »

Bob Wahr

Re: Number of Viewprts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »
I use the number of viewports I need to produce the sheet I need.  I've done 10-15 without noticable slowdown although that depends to a large part on what is in the viewport. 

Birdy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »
Brad; This thread may be useful for ya.

Performance loss depends on system specs, and whatcha got in the drawing.
We try to limit to around 10 layouts.  Typically average around 4-5 VP's per layout.
HTH.

One Shot

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:27:35 PM »
Thank you Birdy!  How have you been?  I hope that all is well.

Brad

t-bear

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:40:42 AM »
Brad...
On some of our cut-sheets we have as many as 40-50 vports.  They are small, with one part in each for shop drawings.  No noticible slow down here.  Like Bob said, it depends on what is displayed...............HTH

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 03:25:15 PM »
i got some drawings from an architect today and he had a single viewport with 2 different scaled details in it. the section i needed was scaled 2x and the dimensions had a scale factor. this was a wonderful discovery after i had plugged my bits into it.  :realmad: hey buddy here's a thought, group your details according to scales and create 2 viewports. then you can draw everything to scale friggin idiot  :ugly:

One Shot

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 03:30:29 PM »
I totally understand that.  All of our legacy drawing were done that way.  Now I have to go and convert every single house into the new standard format.  (200 units)   

t-bear

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 05:23:24 PM »
Ouch!!!  200 units?  That'll kill an afternoon for sure....and then some!  I feel your pain, amigo.
Legacy drawings that old are almost more trouble than they're worth.  I know, I know....sometimes you just gotta...........

MurrayC

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:49:25 PM »
Try using the sysvar MAXACTVP (MAXimum ACTive ViewPorts)

Setting the variable to a low number (the lowest is 2) will turn all the Viewports "off" (note the quotes) except for one.

Here are the cool features:

1. When you turn a Viewport ON, one of the other Viewports will automatically turn "off"

2. Even though many of the Viewports look "off", they are actually on and you can still plot the drawing.

3. You can set MAXACTVP from Modelspace.  Set it to a low value before switching to Paperspace to prevent slow regens and crashes.

4. If you need to see more than one Viewport on at a time, simply increase the value of MAXACTVP (3 will display two viewports, 4 will display 3 viewports, etc)

Other tricks for quick Viewport regens...

1. Any layers which you do not "see" within a Viewport, make sure they are forzen within that Viewport anyway because layers turned ON will still regenerate even though you don't see the objects within the Viewports.

2. If you have a nu,ber of XREFs attached, make sure they are Attached on their own layer (eg. XREF-Base, XREF-Title-block etc), and then following the above example and freeze the XREF layer within a Viewport if none of the XREF is visible within that Viewport

Hopw these tips help!