Author Topic: ctb or stb, how do you use them?  (Read 5057 times)

Martin-Y

ctb or stb, how do you use them?
« on: January 23, 2004, 04:47:21 AM »
Question prompted by replies to a previous thread. I created the company ctb file such that the first seven colours are set to black and the lineweights replicate the old pen colours; red 0.18, white 0.25, yellow 0.35 etc. 10 years ago this seemed the norm and I haven't considered the need to change as yet. If we need colour plots then layers are used with colours outside the the first seven. What do you guys do?

hendie

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 04:52:08 AM »
I use CTB files exclusively but my job here is pretty much self -contained. if I ever have to send anything out then I do it by DWF so I don't really need to worry about other users

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 07:38:28 AM »
Like Martin, we based the first 9 colours on the old pens and created CTB files reflecting this. If we need to plot in colour then colours are used outside this range. We also use seperate CTB files for colour work.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

daron

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »
I just converted the old R14 pc3 files to ctb files when 2000 came out. Never looked back. They're set up basically as you stated yours are.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »
Well, since it looks like I am the ONLY person in the world who uses lineweight I will cower back into a corner and stay there....I just don't see it, but hey ... I guess that is why there are two ways to plot. I just NEVER plot by color because quite honestly I make the object colors on my screen colors that are easier to look at and cause less eye strain. The objects are then assigned a lineweight by layer and the default acad.stb, this way the color does not affect the plot. Oh well ....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 09:26:44 AM »
I use a combination of both, generally I use CTB files.

But when drawing the likes of a plumbing drawing, to keep things simple i use two colours for flow and return and assign them the same line weight so they plot the same on the drawing.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Kate M

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 09:31:43 AM »
... At least I'm Not an Engineer.

Hey now... ;-)

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 09:49:49 AM »
Use a VBA or Lisp routine to pull up a dialog box for selection of either color or not/linewieghts or not and send info to respective process. If you are always having to go through the same steps to achieve the same result, why not let the computer do the grunt work for you. Set up some processes that include border size, scale, plotter, and ctb/pc3 files. Create a front end for them and whooosh.... there they go :D

Bob Garner

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »
Kieth,

You aint the only one.  I like to draft just as you do.
But don't let it out that I'm an engineer; there goes my credibility.

Bob G.

Craig

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 10:49:44 AM »
We use CTB files which is incorporated into our Page setup name files. We use certain page setups to whatever it is we want to plot whether it be color, 8.5x11, 11x17 or larger. Our CTB files are associated with each setup

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 10:56:19 AM »
Well, engineers aren't all bad ... anyone who can give me the answer to √-1 is ok with me ...

Craig

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 11:11:46 AM »
Now I ask you, have you really ever seen a square root. The ones I've seen are more rounded  :lol:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 11:24:04 AM »
My grandpa told me he got kicked out of school for telling his teacher that.

Craig

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 12:27:09 PM »
Well he wasn't the only one. I was in my math class and the teach asked about square roots and after I spoke, I was sitting in the hallway waiting for the V.Principal to walk me to the office. Everyone got a kick out of it though. If no one had laughed, I probably would not have got in trouble. Being it disrupted class, my a$$ was grass then