Author Topic: ( C3D ) Point create default style  (Read 4691 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
( C3D ) Point create default style
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:14:37 AM »
I give up!! When you change the settings for default styles in the create points dialog how come they don't work? I've looked at all the docs but nothing answers the question, at least none that I've found. :roll:

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:49:46 AM »
Some settings have to be changed in multiple places.
Have you also changed the settings in the "edit label style default" dialog box?  Get to it via right click on the drawing name in the settings tab in toolspace.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:22:55 AM »
Quote from: Dinosaur
Some settings have to be changed in multiple places.

Yea I've seen that. :roll:

Have you also changed the settings in the "edit label style default" dialog box?  Get to it via right click on the drawing name in the settings tab in toolspace.

I see nothing about point styles in that dialog.

Thanks

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:29:02 AM »
If it is the point style itself you want changed, try right clicking on "point" in the settings tab and choose "edit feature settings"

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
Ok, let's start over. I've made a template (dwt) that has a couple of "Point Styles" I made for various things like a found monument. In my template under "Edit Feature Settings - AeccPoints" default styles -> Point Syle I have Standard. Under Point -> Commands -> CreatePoints, default styles, Point Style is set to Standard. I now start a *new* dwg using my template. I want to create a point at the intersection of two lines *but* I want the point created using my "FND" style, so I expand the "Create Points" dialog, change "Default Style->Point Style" to my FND style. I pick the location of my point enter desc. and elev but the point is created using the "Standard" style, *not* the style I selected!

Of course I can create a *new* points group and change the default style to FND then add my new point which will have the correct style.

It makes no sense to have an option if it's *not* going to change anything.

According to the documentation . . .

To edit the Default Style settings
Open the Edit Point Settings dialog box using one of the following methods:
Edit settings for all point-related commands: In Toolspace, on the Settings tab, right-click the Point Edit Feature Settings.
Edit settings for a specific command: In Toolspace, on the Settings tab, expand the Commands collection under the Point collection. Right-click the desired command. Click Edit Command Settings.
If needed, scroll to Default Styles and expand the collection.
To specify a default point style, edit the Point Style setting.
To specify a default point label style, edit the Point Label Style setting.
Click OK.

which doesn't work either. :roll:

. . . uncle . . .

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 01:10:34 PM »
Did you APPLY the change to a different style before using the OK button?  This is a crucial step that is very easy to forget when editing labels and styles.  It makes no difference for some changes, but others (especially those made in the "label composer" windows) will not take effect without applying the change first.  This is the most frustrating thing about Civil 3D, especially when you are still unsure if you are making your changes in the right spot.  If you don't see your changes appear, it seems reasonable to find a different place to make the change rather than trying again in what is likely to be the correct location.

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 01:50:46 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas

. . . Click Edit Command Settings . . .

This will have ZERO effect unless you have chosen to "save command changes to settings" in your ambient settings tab.

This is perhaps the most inane default for Civil 3D.  This setting is ideal to lock an established template file from errant busy fingers, but a nightmare for one in progress.  Even if you do every step perfectly in the correct order and location, the command changes may not take effect or only do so once.  If you purchase a training and support contract, the tech will sneek this change when you aren't watching and change it back when he completes the session.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 02:01:14 PM »
Quote from: Dinosaur
This will have ZERO effect unless you have chosen to "save command changes to settings" in your ambient settings tab.

I'm almost sure I have that set to "yes" . . .  yep I do.

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 02:08:33 PM »
Is there any reason you are using "standard" as your default point style?  I have created a new style and specified that as default - perhaps it works better to bypass "standard" completely.

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 07:19:21 PM »
Mark, If you are still having problems, post a drawing and I will have it checked out.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: ( C3D ) Point create default style
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 07:46:10 AM »
Many thanks to hingles from the AUGI forums who had the answer.
[ http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=192490#post192490 ]

Dinosaur

Re: ( C3D ) Point create default style
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 07:53:57 AM »
Is it not amazing how one simple switch can make so much difference and how well Autodesk is able to hide it?